Menu

Getting Grease Out of Work Clothes

My husband works in signals and communications for a railroad and comes home with work clothes covered in nasty smelling grease at times. I wash the coveralls and such but the smell that comes off them after a wash is horrible. I just use normal liquid HE detergent (front loader). Those clothes always go down to hang by the woodstove to dry as I don't want to chance them in the dryer (fire hazard??)

Does anyone else have to wash grease-covered clothes and have a better detergent I could try or any tips on what cycle and such might be best?

Have you tried using Cascade dishwasher soap? I used to always use this when I was a cake decorator/baker. (Think lots of oily buttercream/whipped cream/fryer oil.) Throwing in some Cascade (or probably an dishwasher soap) seemed pull this gunk out, and I think I head about it from someone's wife who was a mechanic.

Edited by Spinning

FIL was a printer and my MIL is famous for always being able to get out stains. She swears by Lestoil. Rub it on the spot and use something (ie fingernail) to rub in well.

If you use it, wash the garmet alone the first time to get the odor out and then a second time with other clothes.

Edited by Pippen