Menu

Would you let your ds9 see the movie 2012?

I am not planning on this, but my ds9 was invited to a friend's birthday party where they will be going to this movie and it is PG-13. :confused: The mom acknowledges that this may be a problem for some parents...ummm, yea....but how should I respond here? I thought about letting him get to their house after the movie for pizza but will all the boys be discussing the movie? I guess I just think it is too intense for 9 yr. olds.

What says the hive?

I am not planning on this, but my ds9 was invited to a friend's birthday party where they will be going to this movie and it is PG-13. :confused: The mom acknowledges that this may be a problem for some parents...ummm, yea....but how should I respond here? I thought about letting him get to their house after the movie for pizza but will all the boys be discussing the movie? I guess I just think it is too intense for 9 yr. olds.

What says the hive?

I would think it is too intense. My ds9 is very sensitive to SOME things like that, however his father took him to see some end of the world movie that didn't seem to phase ds. I attribute this to the fact that he sees it as total sci-fi....

Each kid is different. I can't believe that mom is taking 9 year olds to a Pg-13 movie...weird.

I feel so alone in my parenting sometimes. (until I come here)

Absolutely not.

But that's my house. :)

Perhaps you could take you son to a different movie at the same time and offer to chaperon any other boys that want to go with you instead. I bet if the moms know about an option they'd pick that one!

I think my long -term concern would also be about the supervision level at their house if my kid were allowed to go there for play dates. If they let their 9 year old watch PG13 movies - what's OK at home and what would my kids be being exposed to there? TV? Movies? Video games? etc...

We saw it in the theatre here with our kids 12, 8 and 4. The boys liked it, I don't think it was too intense for my middle boy. My 4 yr old got bored halfway through and started the "is it over yet?" "can we go home" repetitive litany, lol.

I will note that movies here are censored, so it is entirely possible that some parts were clipped; I don't have any way to know, however, unless I see it when we're back in the States for a visit. I didn't even check the rating online, does it say why it's PG-13?

I'd have no problem with it. We saw it, and while my boys are older now, I can't imagine any of them having had problems when they were 9. I suspect the PG-13 rating is more for the special effects or theme than for any of the 'usual' problems that would concern me.

The special effects were fun - and they went throughout the movie instead of just near or at the end as many do.

A couple of more main characters do bite the dust, so if this would bother your son, then skip it.

Well now we are odd ducks here.

We never let our kids see a movie we haven't seen first or seen with them. I might let my kid watch it but only after making a judgement on a movie by movie basis. I think ratings are useless at determining what is ok for my kids.

So bday at the movies wouldn't happen unless I'd already seen the movie and felt it was ok.

Maybe you could go see it first to decide?

Well now we are odd ducks here.

We never let our kids see a movie we haven't seen first or seen with them. I might let my kid watch it but only after making a judgement on a movie by movie basis. I think ratings are useless at determining what is ok for my kids.

So bday at the movies wouldn't happen unless I'd already seen the movie and felt it was ok.

Maybe you could go see it first to decide?

That is how I am about Pg-13 for sure. I saw Blindside with girlfriends and I decided I would let ds9 see it. Haven't done so yet, but I want him to see it with me so we can discuss. Great movie btw.

I will not let my ds1o watch this movie, because he worries about things like this. He has heard the Nostradamus stuff on the History channel (just commercials) and has already been asking me if the world will end in 2012.

That said, I have a friend who took her dd10 to see the movie and her dd loved it and was non-pulsed by it. I think it really depends on the child.

Absolutely not.

But that's my house. :)

Perhaps you could take you son to a different movie at the same time and offer to chaperon any other boys that want to go with you instead. I bet if the moms know about an option they'd pick that one!

I think my long -term concern would also be about the supervision level at their house if my kid were allowed to go there for play dates. If they let their 9 year old watch PG13 movies - what's OK at home and what would my kids be being exposed to there? TV? Movies? Video games? etc...

:iagree:

Thanks for the review, Creekland. Ds saw the ads and part of the "Making of" documentary and really wants to see 2012. The destruction won't bother him, but I wasn't sure if there was something else that made it PG13.

My dsd, who is 15, asked to go see this with a friend last time she was over.

Dh found a review site online that lays out exactly why a movie got the rating it did. One of the reasons listed for 2012 being a pg-13 is because of blasphemy.

That was enough for dh to say 'no'. Sorry dsd, even if that's not *your standard (dsd is not a Christian) it is still dad and stepmom's standard, and we can't give our permission for it.

But then, dh and I would not opt to watch anything, movie or tv, that we knew (or even suspected) ahead of time would not be pleasing to the Lord. That's just how we are about entertainment. Same goes for any entertainment decisions we make for our children.

Ymmv.

I make the decision on pg-13 on a case by case basis and just never allow my kids to see a movie I haven't previewed first. In this situation I'd not let my son go see the movie because I haven't seen it first and I just don't like the vibe of all the friends going to see a movie that is "too old" for them as a party. *However* once the movie comes out on DVD and we get it from netflix - it's entirely possible after viewing it with DH that I'd let my son watch it in our home (with us).

Not all pg-13 movies are created equal and kids are so unique in their reaction to stuff like that - I feel much more qualified to determine what my kids can watch than the MPAA board.

Thanks for all the input. I read the pluggedinonline review and as soon as I saw the language, including blasphemy, I said no way. Good point whoever brought up other problems we may run into with unsupervised playdates if their son is allowed to watch such things. That's usually why we just have friends over here, and when they are here we have a no TV rule.

... don't understand why you would choose a rated PG-13 movie for a nine year old's birthday party. I'm not against children going to a movie for a birthday, but it should be age appropriate. I never let my daughter watch PG-13 movies when she was only 9.

My dsd, who is 15, asked to go see this with a friend last time she was over.

Dh found a review site online that lays out exactly why a movie got the rating it did. One of the reasons listed for 2012 being a pg-13 is because of blasphemy.

That was enough for dh to say 'no'. Sorry dsd, even if that's not *your standard (dsd is not a Christian) it is still dad and stepmom's standard, and we can't give our permission for it.

But then, dh and I would not opt to watch anything, movie or tv, that we knew (or even suspected) ahead of time would not be pleasing to the Lord. That's just how we are about entertainment. Same goes for any entertainment decisions we make for our children.

Ymmv.

I don't remember an blasphemy. Could you remind of refer me?

I am curious about why some worry about the end of world aspect? It is basically a modern day Noah's Ark story which most people are fine with. What exactly is the difference?

I took my 13 and 10 year olds and they were both fine with it. They both said that it was so action packed that they didn't want to go to the bathroom because they were afraid they would miss something. I don't remember anything particularly distressing. Some people did die of course but no blood, gore or violence.

I don't remember an blasphemy. Could you remind of refer me?

I don't know if this is the same site my dh used or not, but pluggedin.com says this under 'Crude or Profane Language' in its review for 2012:

Nearly 20 misuses of God’s name (paired with "d‑‑n" at least five times). Jesus’ name is abused twice.

This would qualify as 'blasphemy' to me. HTH.

Edited by bethanyniez
poorly placed apostrophe.

I am curious about why some worry about the end of world aspect? It is basically a modern day Noah's Ark story which most people are fine with. What exactly is the difference?

I took my 13 and 10 year olds and they were both fine with it. They both said that it was so action packed that they didn't want to go to the bathroom because they were afraid they would miss something. I don't remember anything particularly distressing. Some people did die of course but no blood, gore or violence.

Different strokes for different folks - but I'm with you on this one. We had some good discussion afterward and my kids didn't see the movie as anti-Christian anywhere - maybe one statement from the 'end of the world' dude where he said the "Christians sort of got it right." In some areas it seemed rather 'pro' compared to many movies of this sort (leader wanting to pray, etc).

We all enjoyed the movie - even with the predictable plot. We don't go to these types of movies for the plot anyway. We go to see the special effects - which were great (even with several 'Mythbuster' moments).

But I'm a firm believer in 'to each their own' so everyone needs to make up their own mind. I'm mainly posting again to let people know there are some (who consider themselves conservative Christians) who have no troubles at all with this movie though I would eliminate all swearing if I could, but that doesn't stop me from viewing things - massive swearing and too much skin does - along with Christians behaving badly.

I agree with the poster who suggested you offer to take some of the other kids to a more appropriate (age wise) movie. You could clue the mom in on the F word and sex comments and see if she cares about that stuff.

I hate that you are in this situation. This kinda thing really drives me crazy...along with PG-13 movies that market products to younger kids (Iron Man, X men, etc).

Alison