Menu

Somebody help!! I've ruined dh's tv!!!

Dh is gone and has no idea... We have a big screen Sony HDTV that is only about four years old. There is a yellow discoloration on the left side of the screen.. It sort of looks like a smear from a distance. I had cleaned it with an all natural window cleaner the day before this showed up, but it's also possible that my 3yr old took a magnet to it.. I never saw him with a magnet in the living room though, so I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was the window cleaner that did it..

How do I fix this?? I have two weeks till he gets home and I don't want him coming home to this!! Help!!

I've had experience with that!!!! My overzealous 3 year old who was cleaning the fridge with Windex decided to clean the TV with windex, too. It left a terrible mark. I did some research and found out you should never use liquid cleaners on a tv. Liquid is behind the screen. Ours had a terrible dark spot in the corner. The good news is that it does dry out on its own. Bad news is that it takes several days (up to a week). We can't see it anymore at all.

A magnet will have no effect on most big-screen TVs.

However, the face of many TVs today is actually plastic, not glass, so only a soft, damp cloth should be used for cleaning. I use a Costco table napkin since they are fairly lint-free.

Please tell use what type of TV this is. Model number? If you don't have that, is it Plasma? LCD? DLP (rear projection)? Something else?

Dh (the techno geek) says to look in your TVs menu to try and find a "Degaussing Setting." When older TVs got that smear, you'd get your friendly neighborhood repairman to come over with a gadget called a Degausser and he'd fix it right up. Apparently the newer TVs have a built in one.

Not a permanent issue.

Thanks everyone.. It's been about two weeks and the mark is still there with no sign of leaving any time soon. Dh flies in in 2 days... I will look for the degaussing thing on the menu.. I don't know if a magnet caused it though so don't know if that would work... If nothing else, dh will try to fix it himself when he gets here.. I just hated for him to come home to that!

Thanks again!