Menu

any people switch from Saxon to CLE math?

buttercup

DD is is 6th grade right now currently using Saxon 7/6, about lesson 50. If she were to switch over to CLE what level would you recommend starting her at? I know that CLE is ahead in some concepts so I would probably have to move her down a grade level? Am I right ? And if so, how much, a half grade or just start in the beginning of the 5th grade LU's? This is a very tentative as of yet. Just a matter I'm considering.. I REALLY hesitate in switching over a child's math program. The main reason I am even thinking about it is the shear time it takes my dd to complete a lesson in Saxon. It can take her over 1 and a half hours or more. I thought that a workbook format might allow her to work faster and I was wondering if CLE is a little more to the point in their teaching of math than Saxon. I'd appreciate your input..

Edited by buttercup

I had previously contemplated switching from Saxon to CLE (we will be finishing 7/6 this week - my son is a 6th grader.) My son was taking an hour plus every day and it was frustrating. For a month, I did all the lessons with him orally. I read him the problem and he either was able to do them in his head or he did them at the whiteboard. Now he is back doing it independently and the change has been remarkable.

The advice I was given when I was looking to make the change to CLE was to have my son take the placement test at CLE's website. I did and my son placed into CLE 7. Take a look at the test and see what you think. I really love the look of CLE math but because I already have it on hand we are going to give Chalkdust pre-algebra a try. Still, I don't think you can go wrong with CLE. There are tons of fans on the board here and hopefully they will chime in.

Best of luck with your decision.

I am using Saxon 6/5 with my dd, and I also do some of the problems orally, just to give her a head start. I then usually give her 20 minutes or so, or tell her to do the next 10 problems or so, then we go on to something else. This lets me get to the next teaching item, and she comes back to math later in the day on her own. As long as she's done by dinner or slightly thereafter, it seems to work well. Could you do this with your child to speed things up a bit? I truly don't think it's unusual for public school kids to do 30-45 mins of math at school and then come home to 30 minutes of homework. Not that we want to replicate ps or anything.

DD is is 6th grade right now currently using Saxon 7/6, about lesson 50. If she were to switch over to CLE what level would you recommend starting her at? I know that CLE is ahead in some concepts so I would probably have to move her down a grade level? Am I right ? And if so, how much, a half grade or just start in the beginning of the 5th grade LU's? This is a very tentative as of yet. Just a matter I'm considering.. I REALLY hesitate in switching over a child's math program. The main reason I am even thinking about it is the shear time it takes my dd to complete a lesson in Saxon. It can take her over 1 and a half hours or more. I thought that a workbook format might allow her to work faster and I was wondering if CLE is a little more to the point in their teaching of math than Saxon. I'd appreciate your input..

If you are considering switching, I've been reading some threads on here that many do not like CLE's high school math because it is not their Sunrise editions. I think many only use CLE through their 7th/8th grades, then switch in high school.

I am looking into CLE myself right now, but not math for my older child, just my younger.