Menu

Please don't throw rocks at me...another MCTLA question

momof165

I know you all must get pretty tired by now answering MCTLA questions. But I really would need some help with LA. I have a bright ds 10 who will be in 5th Grade next year. He is right-brained and English has been a battle for the two of us since the beginning. I fear I might turn totally gray by the end of next year:tongue_smilie:. As of right now, we are using Writing Tales Volume 1 and FLL 4. He really likes Writing Tales 1 (especially the games) and writing, but he can't deliver the info (grammar part). Just today I received this confused look after I've asked him to point out the pronouns (subjective and possessive), adjectives, conjunctions, and verbs (action and being verbs). Ds acted like he never EVER heard of any of these!!!! I am ready to :banghead: . Just now he told me he hates English. It's boring, no fun! :001_huh: Is grammar supposed to be fun??? :glare:Do you think MCTLA can ignite the spark? I am just so tired and confused of what to do with him. English (especially grammar) is the only subject that is a constant struggle and fight around here. That's why I am looking or better :drool5: over MCTLA.

I know I can rely on all of you experienced homeschool Moms (aka THE HIVE) when it comes to curriculum choices. :D. You have helped in the past.....

Thank you so much!

Sonja in CO

I have a bright ds 10 who will be in 5th Grade next year. He is right-brained and English has been a battle for the two of us since the beginning. I fear I might turn totally gray by the end of next year:tongue_smilie:. As of right now, we are using Writing Tales Volume 1 and FLL 4. He really likes Writing Tales 1 (especially the games) and writing, but he can't deliver the info (grammar part). Just today I received this confused look after I've asked him to point out the pronouns (subjective and possessive), adjectives, conjunctions, and verbs (action and being verbs). Ds acted like he never EVER heard of any of these!!!! I am ready to :banghead: . Just now he told me he hates English. It's boring, no fun! :001_huh: Is grammar supposed to be fun??? :glare:Do you think MCTLA can ignite the spark? I am just so tired and confused of what to do with him. English (especially grammar) is the only subject that is a constant struggle and fight around here. That's why I am looking or better :drool5: over MCTLA

Sonja,

I am not your usual WTM grammarian. I waited until 7th grade to really teach the names of the parts of speech. I'm using MCT in 8th grade for complete coverage of grammar.

My youngest did well waiting. By the time he hit 7th grade, he realized that even his friends were using sentences that would benefit from correct punctuation and grammar. There was a *need* for grammar, there was an ability to absorb grammar quickly, and there was very little flak from my son.

In the younger years, I spent more time on extra math or even songs & such. I wasn't in a rush to have him understand advanced literature (even though he could read it), because there's lots of kid literature that we loved while we could.

Just one method (of which MCT would surely NOT approve!).

Julie

We used FLL while ds was in first grade. Although he could memorize all the definitions of the parts of speech, he would go blank if he was given a sentence to label. I put it away half way through, thinking he wasn't ready for formal grammar. I took it out again when he was in 3rd grade. He improved some, but dreaded it everytime I took out the book. That's when I started looking for other grammar program.

I found some posts by MelissaB about MCT intriguing. I looked into it, bought it, and never looked back. MCT grammar is set up in a way that makes sense. Ds clicked with it immediately. Although the grammar books "look" simple, the content is solid and retention of it is great. Although I don't know about it helping a right-brained child, it will sure tickle your ds's bones. The images painted by MCT's clever use of words will leave a deep impression, and hopefully, his enthusiasm for English language will rub off on your ds.

Thank you Julie and HSDCY for your replies. Julie, maybe I should :chillpill: and not stress so much over grammar. He just started to really enjoy writing, especially creative writing. He wrote a small "comic book" (4 pages with all the illustrations - not much for some, but for us, it was a huge accomplishment!) about knights. It seems the more I push, the more reluctant he becomes. I guess, I'll grab :lurk5: and wait for some more great replies. :bigear:

Thank you both for answering my thread.

Sonja in CO

Edited by momof165

Well first, I'd remember that he's probably seeing these things for the first time and will indeed see them many more times. You don't need to go to the ultimate level the first day, lol. Pick one thing covered in the lesson and look for that in your model. You can build up as you go. In WT2 they repeat all this. The memory work in FLL1/2 creates a solid foundation, so if you haven't memorized those defs, I'd DEFINITELY do that.

As far as hating grammar, my dd turned around with Shurley. It makes it pretty straightforward and obvious, yet she has no trouble applying it to more complex situations. I suggest you do a light dose of grammar on the side, any grammar, to complement WT. I doubt he's hating grammar because grammar is bad but rather because he's frustrated. Easy Grammar, Shurley, R&S, you have plenty of choices. Just pick something that looks sensible to you and do it with a light touch. Don't get too reflective or analytical at this stage. It's the first time through. He'll go deeper each time he goes through.

And yes, grammar is fun. Grammar is words and words are talking. We like to talk, so grammar is fun. But it's not fun if you're feeling overwhelmed or if too much is piled on you at once. Go back and memorize things, keep it light, keep it obvious. If you want him to look for things in the story, pick *1* thing and make it a game, a race, alternating. You're trying to expose him, not perfect him the first time through, kwim? :)

Hi, I don't know if your son is too old for this, but we have been using something called The Sentence Family as a supplement to R&S grammar and my girls are getting a lot out of it.

http://www.stmichaelschool.us/sentencefamily.html

It was recommended by someone on this board so if you search on it, you will find other posts. The kids draw the parts of speech as characters in this story provided, and by the end of it, they really knew all the parts of speech very well.

The book has a fun way of teaching basic diagramming as well. I was dubious about it, because it seemed kind of babyish, but it really helped them learn and retain the parts of speech and different sentence types.

Beth in MD

Homeschool Mom of Four

http://www.homeschoolfrederick.com

Wow.....what great ideas. Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies. I am so glad I can ask the HIVE for support and ecouragement. OhElizabeth, you are right - I need to chill out and remember: HE IS ONLY 10 (just turned 10). I will continue to implement more games. I love your saying: You're trying to expose him, not perfect him the first time through. You hit the nail!

Sonja in CO

Edited by momof165

Beth, thank you for recommending the book "Sentence Family." I checked out their website, and did a search on this site. The information and posts were fabulous. Now, I have a problem........ more curriculum choices.....:w00t:, another LA program to ponder and :drool5:. How could you do this to me?:D. Why didn't I know about this program? Heck, I spend so much time on this board - I should have read about this! At least NOW I have a good excuse for being online. LA curriculum search! :lol:

Sonja in CO

This won't relate exactly, since my DD is younger, but I will say that it was very helpful to her that she knew all the Schoolhouse Rock grammar songs before we began formal grammar. (We are doing MCT Island level.) You might try introducing some of the vocabulary with Schoolhouse Rock, then go back and teach more formally.

This won't relate exactly, since my DD is younger, but I will say that it was very helpful to her that she knew all the Schoolhouse Rock grammar songs before we began formal grammar.

:iagree: And I have been known to break into a Schoolhouse Rock song whenever a definition needs reinforcing. :blush: Schoolhouse Rock.... rocks! :D

Hi, I don't know if your son is too old for this, but we have been using something called The Sentence Family as a supplement to R&S grammar and my girls are getting a lot out of it.

http://www.stmichaelschool.us/sentencefamily.html

It was recommended by someone on this board so if you search on it, you will find other posts. The kids draw the parts of speech as characters in this story provided, and by the end of it, they really knew all the parts of speech very well.

The book has a fun way of teaching basic diagramming as well. I was dubious about it, because it seemed kind of babyish, but it really helped them learn and retain the parts of speech and different sentence types.

[/url]

I don't know how it compares to Sentence Family (though I'm pretty sure it contains no diagramming info) but for a free story-based intro to the parts of speech, you could look at Grammar Land (http://books.google.com/books?id=iXgSAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=grammar+land&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false). Just thought I'd throw that out there to confuse things even more! ;)

MCT is the *only* grammar that has ever clicked for me, let alone my kids. I have tried many of the popular programs - R&S, Hake, JAG, FLL, Harvey (in combination with CW), perhaps others that I am forgetting. They bored me to tears, and often to sleep. While Mad Libs, Schoolhouse Rock, and "The Sentence Family" are fun diversions, I can say honestly that it is possible to complete them (repeatedly) and still have no idea how a sentence is put together.

And to be frank, the Grammar Island book, if used without Practice Island, would be just as worthless as the other programs I had used. It is the combination of Grammar Island with Practice Island that struck gold. Once we got through Practice Island, we could say *learning* had happened. Then, move on to the Town level. Lots of review, and more learning. Then the next level, and so on.

I will not say that the entire MCT is perfect - there are things I would have done differently had I been the one to write the program. But it is quite different from anything else I have used, and it works for us.

I want to add that it has been amusing to see the wild emotions (both positive and negative) about the MCT program on this board - raising grammar to the level of math wars, LOL. If you don't want to use a particular curriculum, don't buy it.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I received such wonderful suggestions and ideas. I think Grammar School House Rock and MAD LIBS would make a fun addition to our school days (Fridays).

Reading all those wonderful testimonies and praises in regard to MCTLA - I think I'll give RFWP a call on Monday.

Sonja in CO