Menu

Human body (life sci.) suggestions

Laurie in VA

In June and July we will be covering the human body for 1st grade life science. We are using WTM suggestions (Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia) but other than that, what are some must-haves/must dos? I gave away my RR catalog and have been online tonight looking, but other than a skeleton I am not sure what might interest my DD (who is very science/math-minded).

The My Body book by Teacher Created Resources is a lot of fun. Trace your dds on butcher paper. Photo copy correctly sized body parts from My Body. Dc color them while you read about them. Then they go to the wall where you have taped up their butcher paper bodies and tape their organs on. Lots of fun. They'll love it.

There is one The Human Body, one about Explores the 5 senses. My dc loved the DVD's. Your library should carry them. Janice VanCleave's THe Human Body for Every Kid has some neat experiments (like tongue mapping). Try Enchanted Learning for some printable worksheets (I think they are suitable for a 1st grader). Tracing the body on butcher paper is a neat project to "culminate" your study. If your dc likes crafty things, there are some age appropriate lapbooks at CurrClick.com. If memory serves me, there's one dealing spec. w/ the 5 senses that is geared toward younger kids. HTH

We are using Evan Moore for a little extra activity:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Search/Default.aspx?Search=how+your+body+works

And lots of extra readers from the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out science series. These are a perfect level for my Ker and 1st grader. So far, we have used:

A Drop of Blood

Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup & Yawn

Why Germs Make Me Sick

The Listening Walk

Your Skin and Mine

Ears are for Hearing

The Skeleton Inside You

Straight Hair, Curly Hair

Look at Your Eyes

How Many Teeth?

a few misc titles we have enjoyed on the body:

Your Skeleton & Skin- Ray Broekel

Your 5 Senses- Ray Broekel

Your 206 Bones, 32 Teeth, & other Body Math- O'Sullivan

Dem Bones- Bob Barner

Gee Whiz! It's all about Pee- Goodman (unfortunately, my kids LOVED this)

Magic School Bus- Inside the Human Body & Explores the Senses (I didn't like the second one as much. It felt like information overload)

A few other titles:

You Can't Make a Move withouth Your Muscles

Hear Your Heart

Oxygen Keeps You Alive

Use Your Brain

No Measles, No Mumps for Me

Sleep is for Everyone

HTH!