Menu

Wow. Dd9 LOVES Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization!

Tracy in Ky

It arrived yesterday. Dd pounced on it and began memorizing the poems immediately. She is having a blast and has already memorized the first four almost perfectly and has started on the fifth. I am amazed. Taking the advice of another poster, I suggested that she illustrate the poems; she loves doing that.

Reciting the poems is great fun for her as well. One poem is about stewed celery. I have some soup cooking upstairs with a stalk of celery in it, and she quotes the poem while lifting the limp celery out of the pot. :lol:

Thanks so much to everyone who posted about this program. It is a delight!

Blessings,

Tracy

My kids love it too although now my older dd is adding her own selections instead of just what was chosen. I'm glad you are enjoying it too. and of course I always have to put extra celery in my soups now just so that the youngest can recite the poem and eat it - who knew poetry would get kids to eat veggies? :)

Aw heck - I just spent all my money on MCT stuff - is this really $65?!

We've done poetry memorization sporadically, but my kids (and I) are all very, very auditory and having something with a CD component would be great.

Is there somewhere I could see a table of contents of what poems are included? How does this program work on a daily or weekly basis? I looked up an old thread and people said they were listening to the CD daily in the car or over breakfast - it doesn't get old?? How do you assign what to memorize and in what time frame?

A How does this program work on a daily or weekly basis? I looked up an old thread and people said they were listening to the CD daily in the car or over breakfast - it doesn't get old?? How do you assign what to memorize and in what time frame?

I didn't get the CD, just the booklet of poems. It has a chart of some sort in the front that has a recommended memorization and practice schedule, but I'm no good at following directions.

I just pull out the book, and have the kids go over it while I'm eating breakfast - they eat before me. The youngest can do about four lines at a time. I don't put a time frame on it, we just repeat until learned. We practice all of the poems they know as needed - they take turns on the early once since they both know them. We spend about 15 - 20 minutes going over poetry. It is amazing how much they can memorize and retain. I think of it at morning mental calisthenics. DD8 learned Jabberwocky last year and didn't practice over the summer - she still knew it when school started.