Menu

MCT questions

Since MCT can slice through a can,....I figured I should check it out and loved what I saw.

Could you help me with a bit of info before I order?

Could dd9, who is about to finish CW Aesop go into Grammar Town?

DD10, who is doing well with Homer, would go to Grammar Voyage?

Should I get the student books?

What does SWB think about MCT? So far, whenever I've "strayed" far from her recommendations it tends to not work out (like CW, too much prep work for me). I was just wondering if anybody had heard.

I was thinking this morning, that as a MCT groupie, I should make a few points.

It is NOT for everyone. It is a bit odd in presentation, but for those of us that love it~ that is a plus and it is worth it, for those who might take the plunge. However, I think there can be a LOT of people who will probably hate it, and they probably don't understand the glee we all babble on about in these threads.

Part of the reason I love MCT is because it IS different. It is as if it was written for my type of brain, teaching style, type of kids I have etc etc. Maybe you have noticed that there is a LOT of homeschooling curriculum out there. Much of it is very similar to other programs, so there can be a lot of choices along the same vein. It can be like choosing between types of apples, granny smith, macintosh, red delicious..... all great apples, healthy, etc. But what if you hate apples? The give you a stomach ache?? What if you want a mango?

There are some of us, who just don't think very much like a lot of those programs and books. Our kids don't either. I have spent a few years trying out this or that program, and usually end up modifying them so much to fit our family/teaching/ learning that I wonder why I bothered buying it. I found MCT by chance on a different board, trusted the people I saw who thought it was the bee's knees (as I had similar likes), looked at the website and said... oh, finally! It was also at just the right time. Right when I would be starting them (3rd/4th grade).

My boys love the stories, and don't hate doing MCT, but they aren't totally enthusiastic about it either. I think that is because I started with it, we didn't do anything before it to compare it to. MCT is the norm. They are the same way about singapore. When they complain about doing a lesson, which is 1 page long and only a few problems on the page, I want to yell at them.... HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY PROBLEMS ARE ON A PAGE OF SAXON! AND THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!! KISS MY FEET FOR THIS BOOK!!! Saxon is great for some people, not for me or my kids. They would wilt into a tantrum on the floor.

So, if it resonates with you from the sample pages, and our discussions, it will probably be a good fit. If you are on the fence... it could go either way, if you DO NOT get it, dislike it right off, like what you are doing, or think it is a flavor of the month... you can live without it. I think that it is an excellent, in depth program, that my kids will benefit from and I love to do with them.

I don't think SWB has looked into it. I am not sure if it would fit her "vision", but I think she is more than intelligent enough to look at it and see it's merit. I like a lot of her recommendations, but others just aren't my thing. I still think that MCT is *just* enough of an aquired taste that she won't be able to recommend it, I would hope I am wrong.

As far as your actual "what should I order" question, I would suggest calling RFWP. They are very good at placing your child well (this might include books from different levels BTW). Given the ages I would say that you should start both in Grammar Town level. You would get 1 set of TM s and 2 copies of the student practice book (or 1 and have them each do half of it). I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of Grammar Island for your 9 yo. It would depend. You might have noticed that people place their kids all over in the program. Some start where they think they should be grade-wise, then go backwards for a while. We are HSing! It's ok!

as usual, here I am babbling on a MCT thread. :D

Thanks for that long reply.

I've been stressing about LA for a while, liking the idea behind CW, but not what it actually looked like on a day to day basis.

MCT seems to be easier to use, still thorough and you can have it all in one package (sorting out grammar for CW was a nightmare).

I don't quite get what people mean about the odd lay out, but maybe that's cause I'm European.

I've only started to read up on MCT yesterday, but I think I'm just about ready to order!:auto:

I was thinking this morning, that as a MCT groupie, I should make a few points.

It is NOT for everyone. It is a bit odd in presentation, but for those of us that love it~ that is a plus and it is worth it, for those who might take the plunge. However, I think there can be a LOT of people who will probably hate it, and they probably don't understand the glee we all babble on about in these threads.

Part of the reason I love MCT is because it IS different. It is as if it was written for my type of brain, teaching style, type of kids I have etc etc. Maybe you have noticed that there is a LOT of homeschooling curriculum out there. Much of it is very similar to other programs, so there can be a lot of choices along the same vein. It can be like choosing between types of apples, granny smith, macintosh, red delicious..... all great apples, healthy, etc. But what if you hate apples? The give you a stomach ache?? What if you want a mango?

There are some of us, who just don't think very much like a lot of those programs and books. Our kids don't either. I have spent a few years trying out this or that program, and usually end up modifying them so much to fit our family/teaching/ learning that I wonder why I bothered buying it. I found MCT by chance on a different board, trusted the people I saw who thought it was the bee's knees (as I had similar likes), looked at the website and said... oh, finally! It was also at just the right time. Right when I would be starting them (3rd/4th grade).

My boys love the stories, and don't hate doing MCT, but they aren't totally enthusiastic about it either. I think that is because I started with it, we didn't do anything before it to compare it to. MCT is the norm. They are the same way about singapore. When they complain about doing a lesson, which is 1 page long and only a few problems on the page, I want to yell at them.... HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MANY PROBLEMS ARE ON A PAGE OF SAXON! AND THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!!!! KISS MY FEET FOR THIS BOOK!!! Saxon is great for some people, not for me or my kids. They would wilt into a tantrum on the floor.

So, if it resonates with you from the sample pages, and our discussions, it will probably be a good fit. If you are on the fence... it could go either way, if you DO NOT get it, dislike it right off, like what you are doing, or think it is a flavor of the month... you can live without it. I think that it is an excellent, in depth program, that my kids will benefit from and I love to do with them.

I don't think SWB has looked into it. I am not sure if it would fit her "vision", but I think she is more than intelligent enough to look at it and see it's merit. I like a lot of her recommendations, but others just aren't my thing. I still think that MCT is *just* enough of an aquired taste that she won't be able to recommend it, I would hope I am wrong.

As far as your actual "what should I order" question, I would suggest calling RFWP. They are very good at placing your child well (this might include books from different levels BTW). Given the ages I would say that you should start both in Grammar Town level. You would get 1 set of TM s and 2 copies of the student practice book (or 1 and have them each do half of it). I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of Grammar Island for your 9 yo. It would depend. You might have noticed that people place their kids all over in the program. Some start where they think they should be grade-wise, then go backwards for a while. We are HSing! It's ok!

as usual, here I am babbling on a MCT thread. :D

:iagree: with what she said -- except that I learned about MCT and researched threads here and then made my decision......but only after radiobrain and many others showed up at my house and twisted my arm till I yelled :eek:, 'UNCLE' and agreed to place an order large enough to clear the debt of a small third world nation :lol::lol::lol:.

I did answer a post on another MCT thread just this morning and I provided about 8 or so links from this board that are chock full of info.

FTR, I am a former classroom teacher and incredibly accustomed to standing up in front of a room full of kids, having everyone take a turn reading, and I interrupt to clarify or elucidate. MCT gives me the opportunity to do that in our small homeschool setting - and I LOVE teaching that way. My son was going to have a concussion if we continued using R&S Grammar as his head was going to hit his desk as he drifted off to sleep out of boredom. I LIKE R&S -- as a teacher, I think it is thorough, but it is not for my kids.

Sorry..........I rambled!

LOF is about as different as maths programmes get.

Laura

Laura,

If you like Life of Fred, you will probably like MCT, but if you like MCT that doesn't mean you will like Life of Fred. Can you follow that one?!

Life of Fred is goofy, goes off on tangents etc etc, whereas MCT can be whimsical and funny, but never EVER strays away from the subject. I would say that they are similar in *temperment*. They both understand the need for lightness and visuals, and also don't treat the reader like an idiot needed to be taught, but a friend they want to share their joy of the subject with.

Also....

You will find this on ANY MCT thread, you only need the Teacher Manuals for the elementary series, but you will need both TM and student book for the "practice" books. For the next level up, MAgic Lens, WWW etc. you would need both student and HOMESCHOOL teacher's manual. The HS TM is cheaper and written a bit differently than the regular TM, so I hear... I am still in the elementary levels.

You should call or write an email to RFWP to see where to place them. Or join the yahoo group and ask some questions there too.

Good luck!

Korin