Menu

slightly female question (ie nothing TMI or gross)

I am so hungry this month. Really hungry for protein mostly. The last few days I cant seem to get enough to eat. And I am much more tired than usual. My cycle is due sometime in the next 4 days (please be on time!). There are other symptoms more "normal" for me - headaches, hot flashes, etc. But, this eating thing is a bit odd. Before I blow the top of the scale - what will help??? And it really isnt chocolate this time around - mainly protein - cheese, sausage balls, Ezekiel bread,etc. All healthy but really - I am gaining weight. What will help??

My cycle is due sometime in the next 4 days (please be on time!).

Betcha in about five days ;) you'll suddenly be repulsed by the sight, smell, even thought of food. You'll suddenly notice that your calorie consumption has dropped by about five fold and you're drinking more water than you were.

Are you taking iron? Often the verrrry tired and verrrry hungry months go hand in hand for me and it's usually related to overall lack of sleep and/or need for iron. Sometimes I can also attach those symptoms to a pattern of less exercise than normal.

I am so hungry this month. Really hungry for protein mostly. The last few days I cant seem to get enough to eat. And I am much more tired than usual. My cycle is due sometime in the next 4 days (please be on time!). There are other symptoms more "normal" for me - headaches, hot flashes, etc. But, this eating thing is a bit odd. Before I blow the top of the scale - what will help??? And it really isnt chocolate this time around - mainly protein - cheese, sausage balls, Ezekiel bread,etc. All healthy but really - I am gaining weight. What will help??

What I found most ironic after eating healthy, working out and really listening to my body for the past 6 months, I've noticed I get VERY VERY hungry the 2 days before my period. I never noticed this before or if I did I chaulked it up to cravings.. but now, I crave HEALTHY food & TONS of it! Don't know what to tell you other then that...

You may need iron or there may be some other specific nutritional need your body is trying to fill. Your fatigue makes me suspect iron. Try having a steak and some spinach. You could also try taking a few tablespoons of molasses (I dilute in lukewarm water).

If this continues to be ongoing you might consider having your iron checked. If you do so, make sure to request they check BOTH hemoglobin AND ferritin.

:iagree: I agree with the iron recommendations, and the thought that you could be pregnant, unless you've already ruled that out. I don't crave protein before my cycle starts, but a few days into it I start wanting a thick, juicy steak. I also craved protein when I was pregnant with my sons, and fruit with my daughters. Weird.

What I found most ironic after eating healthy, working out and really listening to my body for the past 6 months, I've noticed I get VERY VERY hungry the 2 days before my period. I never noticed this before or if I did I chaulked it up to cravings.. but now, I crave HEALTHY food & TONS of it! Don't know what to tell you other then that...

Same here. The better I'm eating over-all, the more desperately hungry I am for a day or two before my period. Not for bad stuff, just for *lots* of it.