Menu

Can you help me identify this(possibly Polish) bakery sweet from my dh's childhood?

So my dh's parents are Polish. There is a Polish bakery near where my dh grew up that his aunt used to take him to. Well, dh *thinks it was a Polish bakery. He was just a kid; so really, the treat could be any Italian or whatever. :D They sold this 'cakes', as dh calls them. They were cubes about 1-2 inch sqauare. They had three layers of cake, in different colors; pink, green, and dh thinks blue. They were covered on all but two sides with a thin chocolate glaze; you could see the colors of the cake on the sides that weren't glazed.

Does anyone have ANY idea what these are called? I'm going to email the aunt that used to take him to the bakery (how I WISH I could remeber what dh said that bakery was called!), but she sometimes takes a while to email back. Dh has been talking about these treats off and on for ten years, and I'd love to get him some for Christmas morning.

Any help is very appreciated.

We have these all the time. They're Italian, in every bakery, and very big in NYC.

RAINBOW COOKIES

YES! YES, THIS IS IT! I just located and called the Polish bakery that dh used to visit, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Perhaps the bakery used to be owned by Italians? :D

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I know what they are now! Now, how in the world do I find them here?! We live in Metro Detroit, and I have no idea how to find an Italian bakery here...

They call them Seven-Layer Cookies, and I only know this because I just made them yesterday. And today they're all gone. ;)

See, dh has *very fond memories of these from his childhood; so I'm a bit nervous to make them, lol. I'd rather get some from a bakery.

Just so happens, we have an Italian bakery just a few miles away. I called, and guess what? They sell them! I'm going to try and pick some up on Christmas Eve to surprise dh.

Oh, this board is great. Thanks so much!

See, dh has *very fond memories of these from his childhood; so I'm a bit nervous to make them, lol. I'd rather get some from a bakery.

Just so happens, we have an Italian bakery just a few miles away. I called, and guess what? They sell them! I'm going to try and pick some up on Christmas Eve to surprise dh.

Yay! Glad you found the Italian bakery -- I grew up in that area and I KNOW there are several!! :)

Might I suggest you order ahead? Bakeries appreciate it & they often sell out of popular treats during the holidays.

Might I also suggest you get them on the 23rd? They'll hold well & you don't want the weather to ruin your plans.

:grouphug:

Might I suggest you order ahead? Bakeries appreciate it & they often sell out of popular treats during the holidays.

Might I also suggest you get them on the 23rd? They'll hold well & you don't want the weather to ruin your plans.

:grouphug:

Both great ideas. I was just looking at the recipe a pp posted (btw, my hat's off to you if you actually make these; they're rather complicated!), and I saw the recipe said they will keep up to two weeks. So I thought I should go a day or two early to the bakery, then seal (and HIDE!) them well until Christmas morning. Plus, around here, you really never do know when we'll get a good foot or two of snow, lol.

The bakery is right by our library, so the next time we go, I'll stop by there and place an order to pick up a few days before Christmas. Oh, I bet the boys will just love to go to the bakery. :D Um, on second thought, maybe I'll just call and place an order. Moose isn't so good at keeping secrets yet...