Menu

I'm looking for a good potato salad recipe ...

If you like southern style mashed potatoe salad, here's mine.

potatoes, pealed, boiled, drained, mashed (lumps are fine)

miracle whip (NOT Mayo!)

salt

pepper

prepared yellow mustard

dill pickle relish or chopped dill pickle

hard boiled eggs, chopped

chopped onions (optional)

To freshly mashed, HOT potatoes, add all other ingredients according to taste. The amounts TOTALLY depend on your preference. We use LOTS of eggs and no onion. Some people make it yellow with mustard, I use just a couple squirts. It should be nice and moist. and BTW, can be eaten hot too - delicious!

As much as I LOVE the above mashed potato salad, THIS is the best potato salad I've ever had, hands down. I thought at first the pasta and potatoes would be weird together, but they definately are not. If I really want to impress, THIS is what I make. Everybody loves it.

New Potato Pasta Salad

4 cups new potatoes, diced

12 oz. rainbow rotini

1 lb bacon, chopped, cooked and drained

8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup ranch salad dressing

Boil large pot of water. Drop in potatoes ( you don’t have to peel them) and cook for 3 minutes. Add rotini and cook 10 to 12 minutes more until rotini and potatoes and done. Drain. You want about equal amounts of cooked rotini and potato. In a very large bowl, wisk together mayonnaise and ranch dressing. Add potatoes, rotini, bacon and eggs. Stir and chill. This is a big batch for a crowd. You can half it for a family.

As much as I LOVE the above mashed potato salad, THIS is the best potato salad I've ever had, hands down. I thought at first the pasta and potatoes would be weird together, but they definately are not. If I really want to impress, THIS is what I make. Everybody loves it.

New Potato Pasta Salad

4 cups new potatoes, diced

12 oz. rainbow rotini

1 lb bacon, chopped, cooked and drained

8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup ranch salad dressing

Boil large pot of water. Drop in potatoes ( you don’t have to peel them) and cook for 3 minutes. Add rotini and cook 10 to 12 minutes more until rotini and potatoes and done. Drain. You want about equal amounts of cooked rotini and potato. In a very large bowl, wisk together mayonnaise and ranch dressing. Add potatoes, rotini, bacon and eggs. Stir and chill. This is a big batch for a crowd. You can half it for a family.

Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

I don't have a special recipe, just some methods that I read about in the America's Test Kitchens cookbook:

When your potatoes are done (and try not to overcook them, to keep them from being too mushy), drain them and then gently toss them with a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar; let them cool. The vinegar keeps them from darkening.

Mix your mayo, hard-cooked eggs, celery, mustard, whatever else you use, separately. Then mix *that* gently into the cooled potatoes.

Very nice. :-)

I also have a recipe that uses small red potatoes: cut them in half and cook until done; pile on a plate and top with cooked/crumbled bacon, minced shallots (which have a milder flavor than onions), cooked/chopped eggs, and crumbled bleu cheese; pour extra-virgin olive oil over all.

Also very nice. :-)