Menu

Chalkdust geometry: new vs. traditional?

For Algebra I this year, I have been using the DVDs produced by Chalkdust ("starring" Dana Mosley) and the Larson elementary algebra text, and I have been *very* pleased with both. BTW: these are now published by Cengage (who I understand bought out most of Houghton Mifflin's texts). [A quick side plug: I bought these through http://www.buyallbooks.com -- they went the extra mile for me in looking for the new isbn's as I had the poor timing of trying to buy these during the changeover last year.]

Now I am looking into geometry. The Chalkdust web site lists two recommended books:

New:
Geometry
, by Daniel Alexander and Geralyn Koeberlein (Houghton Mifflin Company, 2007)

Traditional:
Geometry, An Integrated Approach,
by Larson, Roland, Laurie Boswell, and Lee Stiff (D.C. Heath and Company, 1995)

The Mathematically Correct website does not have geometry text reviews (that I could find, anyway). The Larson text did not get good reviews on Amazon, although I take text reviews there with a grain of salt. The titles of the DVDs that I could find (using isbn's I found on this board) seem to go with the Alexander text.

So, I'm leaning towards the Alexander text but wondered if anyone here had any more information/suggestions.

If you are looking for the inexpensive HM-label DVDs (as opposed to the Chalkdust label ones), then I think you will probably have to go with the "new" Alexander text. I spent many weeks searching the net for the DVDs that go with the "traditional" Larson geometry text (which I already own), to no avail. :(

The Alexander text also had terrible Amazon reviews, IIRC, but several WTMers posted that the text doesn't matter much because everything is explained so well on the DVDs.

Jackie