Menu

Opinions on Calculadders?

Laura in STL

I was thinking of using this for math drill for dd and ds who are currently in 2nd and 5th grades. Both of them know the appropriate facts, but I want to work on speed. I miss the built in drill of Saxon since we have switched to Singapore. I need something ready to go. I have tried making worksheets online, but I'm just not consistent enough. Any opinions on Calculadders or other solutions?

I tried it as written, a number of years ago, with timing and keeping track of their progress. But both of my older children (perfectionists and competetive as they are) were miserable.

Now I just use the sheets as practice/drill sheets. I print one page of the sheets we need, printing others as they advance, and put it in a page protector so we can use wet erase markers and reuse the sheets. Otherwise, with four kids, I would be out of ink all the time. ;)

Sometimes I give them a time limit, like 3 minutes or 5 minutes, and tell them to see how many problems they can do in that time. I will give the dc the same sheet for a week, and ususally by the end of the week, the dc has mad significant progress in how many he/she can do correctly in the alotted time.

Sometimes I just give them the sheet, and tell them how much of it I want them to work, i.e. two rows, half the sheet, whole sheet. Again, I try to give them the same sheet until they show some mastery of the facts.

This has been a good compliment to Singapore, and helped my kids that need help with those facts. But, it is boring, just working a drill sheet, and sometimes they balk a little.

HTH

Dd finds them boring, but they aren't optional, so she does try to do them as quickly as possible. :) She is competitive enough that she wants to "beat" the suggested time. For us, they were a good choice because a) I could get the CD-ROM and print off as many as I needed of each level and b) she could respond with the answer very quickly to oral drill - we specifically needed to get her written speed up.

I was thinking of using this for math drill for dd and ds who are currently in 2nd and 5th grades. Both of them know the appropriate facts, but I want to work on speed. I miss the built in drill of Saxon since we have switched to Singapore. I need something ready to go. I have tried making worksheets online, but I'm just not consistent enough. Any opinions on Calculadders or other solutions?

They didn't work here. My oldest could do it but didn't enjoy it. My 2nd dd never could pass a test. The timer stressed her out too much and she would freeze (though she does fine with standardized testing).

For use Right Start math games worked much better, and the kids have fun!

Heather

p.s. Both our math programs are base 10, so I also didn't like that they worked on facts I didn't want them to memorize.

Our experience has been positive with Calculadders. My olders had used it years ago and we started it again this year with my first grader and third grader. They love and will throw fits if I decide I'm too busy to do it everyday. My first grader, in particular, loves the aspect of trying to beat the clock and will say, "Did I win?" afterward while he waits for me to record the score. I've always liked that it's a competition against themselves. We've always followed the recommendation that if they score at least an 8 in 12 tries we go on and they just repeat that level again next year. If they don't score an 8, we do it six more times and then move on no matter what and just repeat again the next year.

My dd wasn't crazy about Calculadder drills while we were using them either, but at the same time they did help her a lot during 3rd and 4th grade. I bought them for her at the encouragement of teachers at the Classical school where I teach part time. Students at the school have to pass each level within the time limit or they cannot move up to the next level. It is strictly enforced there, whether kids like them or not -- and students at the school really excel in math. I just figured that kids don't like medicine either, but we give it to them for their own good. :tongue_smilie:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I use them with CLE math 2 and really like it. I believe we just have the first calculadder book, pink? I rotated add. and sub. every other day.

My child didn't like the CLE speed drills cuz they are bigger numbers like 14-5= and so on. She would get so frustrated when she would only get 13 done in 2 minutes.

Once I switched to calculadder, they were smaller numbers and she got a ton done and she felt more successful.

I don't really care which ones she does, it just helps work on her speed and memorizing. I'd rather she memorized the smaller numbers anyways.

HTH