Menu

What does a pre-k/K child need to know?

lincap

I have been looking at curriculums online for months and cannot decide which would be the most comprehensive. So I think I will put together my own. DS1 is 4 yrs old and sometimes interested in learning, so I really want to take it easy. (I also have a 21 month old and one due in March).

What should I at least make sure he can do in the Pre-K & K years?

Should be be writing his name? Cutting on a straight line? I don't want to push too much on him, but I want him stimulated to learn the age-appropriate skills.

I have been looking at curriculums online for months and cannot decide which would be the most comprehensive. So I think I will put together my own. DS1 is 4 yrs old and sometimes interested in learning, so I really want to take it easy. (I also have a 21 month old and one due in March).

Should be be writing his name? Cutting on a straight line? I don't want to push too much on him, but I want him stimulated to learn the age-appropriate skills.

I remember when I first started coming to these boards (a long time ago :D), being introduced to this website: http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum. Maybe it will be helpful for you too.

There are probably many answers to this question depending on what your future goals of education and worldview are. I focused on pre-reading and pre-math skills with games and activities at that age. You might consider which math program you want to use later, and start with the pre-K/K level. We did Saxon K at age 3/4 and found it very doable. There was not a lot of writing. I have heard good things about Singapore Earlybird books.

We also worked on fine motor skills with playdough, cutting projects, stringing beads, etc. We read good stories and nonfiction books to round out our day. We also did Bible stories, but that would depend on your beliefs, etc.

I would recommend the book Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready as a good starting point, especially since you have other little ones to use the ideas with.

I would also recommend magnetic letter tiles and pattern blocks as two of our favorite manipulatives for that age.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure you will get lots of other good suggestions here!

have you read WTM yet? It tells you what a child should know before starting 1st grade work/what he needs to know by the end of K year...I also looked into what my children would need to know when finishing their K year in public school in my state - just to make sure I was teaching them AT LEAST the minimum (not hard to do where I live)...

For my now-Ker, in preschool we did letter flashcards, lacing, beading (large beads), playdough, coloring, preschool workbooks from teacher stores & Walmart, peg puzzles & a couple of Kumon workbooks.

The Kumon books I used for her were Let's Cut Paper, More Let's Cut Paper, Let's Fold, and More Let's Fold. I'm now using Let's Cut Paper with dd4. I'll probably use the other three books with her as well. They did a great job in teaching dd6 to cut and fold. I'm also using My Book of Easy Mazes with dd4. Dd6 is using My Book of Mazes Around the World, My Book of Easy Crafts, and My Book of Pasting. She also did My First Book of Cutting (she cuts very well now!). Can you tell I like Kumon? :001_smile:

I would say the Kumon folding books are like pre-origami. You learn how to fold along a line, mountain and valley folds, and folding towards the middle. They sort of make something a bit, with minimal folding.

There is a lot of folding--it starts out minimal but builds up as you progress through the books. Their cutting and craft books have folding as well. Dd6 does a lot of folding on her own now with construction paper. She does many "projects," as we call them, doing a lot of cutting, folding and pasting (gluing).

Establish first time obedience.

:). This is your last undistracted year to focus on chracter alone, without also worrying about academics. A 4 year old Is still extremely responsive and malleable to consistent training.

Ok ok and the other thing I like is the last half of Before FIAR which has a telreasury of lovely suggestions for preschool!

My younger child finds the folding books interesting. My older child, who does origami independently, has always found them too easy. What I was getting at is that origami normally is done with a plain piece of paper, but the Kumon folding books have sort of origami components, but that kind of do something, or you see, for example, the inside and outside of an apple. Instead of just a piece of paper.

The other craft books have more projects, but the folding books are just folding, in varying complexities.

My plan is:

Five in a Row

Math:

learn shapes and colors (workbooks, flash cards, DVDs, and drawing)

learn numbers 1-20 (workbooks, flash cards, DVDs and drawing)

number dot to dot

Kumon Numbers 1-30

Making Math Meaningful K and 1st

Reading

learn letters

letter dot to dot

learn letter sounds

Explode the Code A, B, C, 1, 2, 3

History

Bible History through picture books and Bibles

American History through picture books

Writing

tracing

mazes

cutting

Betty Gubay Italic A

other

puzzles

Science

Complete Book of Nature

Earth and Space

Along the same lines as the worldbook site is a book called, What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know. There is a preschool one too, but I was not as impressed by it. The K one has stories and poems and sections on music, art, history, science, math to read directly to your child. I love these books. There is one for every elementary grade. Especially for K though, I loved having it on hand to read from.

I still think you need a daily math and phonics of some sort though. WTM can help you with those choices.

For preK we used Letteroftheweek.com and the Rod and Staff ABC preschool workbooks. A great mix here.

:). This is your last undistracted year to focus on chracter alone, without also worrying about academics. A 4 year old Is still extremely responsive and malleable to consistent training.

!

:iagree::iagree:

I wrote a post of our preschool program some time back.

My goals for 4 & 5 are....

--establish good habits. First time obedience being the most important. I make a list of habits I want my school age children to have and I hope to instill many of these habit now.

--establish a routine. It is easy in Pk and K to do school whenever and where ever the mood strikes...but if you get in the routine of doing school at a certain time and place now it will be easier for all of you in the future.

I use the worldbook link to make sure I'm covering the basics for PK. I make sure that each day we do something that involves gross motor skills, something that involves small motor skills and a few good books. My current 4yo is enjoying Kuman workbooks for fine motor skills and enjoys the activities in MFW PK. We pick our stories from the AO Year 0 list and Five in a Row.

By 5 I will use a curriculum of some sort . Personally I don't think the particular curriculum is as important as establishing the habits and routine.

Best of luck, mama!

Ok ok and the other thing I like is the last half of Before FIAR which has a telreasury of lovely suggestions for preschool!

Very interesting and something that never occured to me. I will have to work on that as my 4 yr old is already challenging me...

This was such a great article:) The kind of thing I need to read and remember from time to time!

http://www.magicalchildhood.com/articles/4yo.htm

Thank you for this link!! I really needed to read that. :)

OP, I also recommend the Worldbook website as a guide. I've used Kumon wkbks, Singapore EB, BJU math K wkbk (at a slow pace), Leap Frog DVDS, Preschool Prep DVD's and a big fat wkbk from Sam's titled Comprehensive Curriculum for Preschoolers. It has everything in it.