Menu

suggestions for a well- written novel written

within the last few years? I tried The Book Thief but the tone was too much for me. I just finished Sarah's Key. I enjoyed the historical context, but the last quarter of the book is lacking and predictable. I am glad I read it though.

Suggestions for current novels that are well written and a bit more complex?

Peace Like a River (Enger) -- 2002

The Swallows of Kabul (Khadra) -- 2004; well written, but VERY bleak

Gilead (Robinson) -- 2006

Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet) -- 2007; non-fiction, lovely personal journey through film viewing

Home (Robinson) -- 2008

No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (Smith) -- the series started around 2000, and the most recent book came out a few months ago; light, gentle, charming; not meant to be surprising; but it is uplifting and the series has continued to deliver

Haven't read these yet, but they look very intriguing:

- Three Cups of Tea; Stones into Schools (Mortensen) -- 2007; 2009; non-fiction autobiography

- End of Suffering: Finding Purpose of Pain (Cairns) -- 2009; essay

Edited by Lori D.
added info

I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society last August and enjoyed it very much. Usually I avoid current fiction like the plague as it either disappoints or depresses me; often both! But I've got my eye on those Ken Follet books Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. They are on my to read list. My sister (who has got pretty good taste!) read The Zookeepers Wife and liked it.

About Three Cups of Tea: I loved the book because it is so different and so inspiring but the writing style itself is rather plodding. Not enough to ruin the story but enough to make it a bit of work to read it (I thought anyway).

bout Three Cups of Tea: I loved the book because it is so different and so inspiring but the writing style itself is rather plodding. Not enough to ruin the story but enough to make it a bit of work to read it (I thought anyway).

Thanks for the review, Faith. That helps to go into it without high expectations, so I can just read it and enjoy it for the life experiences. :)

Peace Like a River (Enger) -- 2002

The Swallows of Kabul (Khadra) -- 2004; well written, but VERY bleak

Gilead (Robinson) -- 2006

Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet) -- 2007; non-fiction, lovely personal journey through film viewing

Home (Robinson) -- 2008

No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (Smith) -- the series started around 2000, and the most recent book came out a few months ago; light, gentle, charming; not meant to be surprising; but it is uplifting and the series has continued to deliver

Haven't read these yet, but they look very intriguing:

- Three Cups of Tea; Stones into Schools (Mortensen) -- 2007; 2009; non-fiction autobiography

- End of Suffering: Finding Purpose of Pain (Cairns) -- 2009; essay

Thanks, I read (and enjoyed) Peace Like a River. I also liked So Young Brave and Handsome; have you read it? I've read No 1 Ladies as well. In fact, I have the series in my Netflix queue.

I generally don't read current fiction because I don't find it memorable, but I thought something lite during the holidays might be fun between all the hustle and bustle.:001_smile: I 'll check the others you listed.