Menu

My 13yo dd finished TT7, but is not strong in fractions...

Mommy7

She also has not had much work with decimals and percents. I am considering having her do MUS Epsilon (fractions) and Zeta (Decimals & Percents) before doing TT Pre-Algebra next year.

Is that overkill? Or should I have her work through the "Key to..." Fractions & Decimals & Percents and be done with it?

What d'ya think?

If you can find an older edition of Math-u-See, I would recommend their Advanced Math. They actually still sell them on their websites or you can find them elsewhere too. It covers, fractions, decimals and pre-Algebra all in one year! I am using with my ds. I was ready for him to pre-algebra, but he was still weak in the fractions and decimals. This was an answer to prayer, without putting him a year behind my goal!

I looked up the table of contents with Pre-Algebra. There are about 3 full chapters dedicated to fractions...maybe that *would* be enough. Do you feel they do enough with decimals and percents between TT7 and the Pre-Algebra text? I didn't see much work with that.

Pre-algebra is a review of all they have learned before. At our homeschool state convention, Tom from video text algebra explained how the school system came up with pre-algebra years ago to accomodate for non-math students high school math levels. If you are going to do Pre-Algebra, you might not need to do this additional review. However, only you know exactly what the issues are with your child and it is always best to be safe.

Having said that, I would second the Key to series. It's what someone I know who is a very good math tutor uses.

I own LOF fractions. I like it but I think the Key to series would be better for your purposes.

HTH

I looked up the table of contents with Pre-Algebra. There are about 3 full chapters dedicated to fractions...maybe that *would* be enough. Do you feel they do enough with decimals and percents between TT7 and the Pre-Algebra text? I didn't see much work with that.

DS will be writing the chapter 6 test on decimals today, so the verdict is still out on whether it is enough, but I suspect he's getting it. He'll begin the percents chapter tomorrow. I sure appreciate the constant review of concepts with programs like MUS and TT for him. And I have the Key to books in a box upstairs... just in case. :D