Menu

Poll: Do you *like* fruitcake?

Do you *like* fruitcake?  

1. 1. Do you *like* fruitcake?

• No, I do not like ANY kind of fruitcake.
    • Yes, I like ALL kinds of fruitcake.
    • Yes, but I only like certain kinds of fruitcake (only my granny's fruitcake, for example).
    • I don't know. I've never tried fruitcake.

I, for one, do not like traditional fruitcake, because I do not like most candied fruit. However, my mom made an "Icebox Fruitcake" one year when I was a teenager, and it was delicious! She's lost the recipe, and the only thing I remember about it was that it had graham cracker crumbs, marshmallows, nuts, and maybe maraschino cherries. Anyone have a similar recipe???

Guest Virginia Dawn

I do like fruit cake, but only if it does not have that red and green dyed stuff in it. I really like it if it has been soaked in rum. But I'm not likely to get any, because I've never been in a liquor store and noone I know would admit to owning any rum.

I've made fruitcake with chopped dried apricots, crushed pineapple, raisins, pecans, and orange extract. It was very good.

MomsintheGarden makes excellent fruitcake using a recipe she got from my sister. It's pretty expensive and a lot of work, but she used to make it every year for Christmas. Unfortunately, last year it seemed that the fruitcake was giving me headaches. Since the other ingredients were known fine, we suspected something in the brandy. (Perhaps the brandy? :tongue_smilie:)

I do not like fruitcake, because I hate those stupid little ersatz fruits in the not to be found in wild nature colors that reek of dyes that are undoubtedly about to be listed as cancer causing agents of doom. That is also the reason I do not care for Hot Cross Buns, which, by the way, should only be ingested during Lent, not on Easter. Easter is no time for crosses. Easter is time for reserved Hallelujahs and lilies and spring lamb and sticky, gooey desserts involving either honey or cinnamon, preferably both, in large large post-fast level quantities, whether one has been fasting or not. Not hot cross buns, doggone it!

And while I'm on the subject, I simply disagree with fruit cake as a concept. There are ingestibles that should be aged. Cake is not one of them. Wine comes to mind, as does kahlua. But not cake. Never cake. If cake needs to be aged to taste good, it never should have been made in the first place. And if it never does taste good, why bother at all? The one exception is stollen. I don't know why people make stollen in advance, but it does taste good when I have it. Probably because it does not have those annoying little fruits in it. Only raisins, good raisins with rum or some other beverage around and in them. And maybe brandied cherries.

I do not like fruitcake, because I hate those stupid little ersatz fruits in the not to be found in wild nature colors that reek of dyes that are undoubtedly about to be listed as cancer causing agents of doom. That is also the reason I do not care for Hot Cross Buns, which, by the way, should only be ingested during Lent, not on Easter. Easter is no time for crosses. Easter is time for reserved Hallelujahs and lilies and spring lamb and sticky, gooey desserts involving either honey or cinnamon, preferably both, in large large post-fast level quantities, whether one has been fasting or not. Not hot cross buns, doggone it!

And while I'm on the subject, I simply disagree with fruit cake as a concept. There are ingestibles that should be aged. Cake is not one of them. Wine comes to mind, as does kahlua. But not cake. Never cake. If cake needs to be aged to taste good, it never should have been made in the first place. And if it never does taste good, why bother at all? The one exception is stollen. I don't know why people make stollen in advance, but it does taste good when I have it. Probably because it does not have those annoying little fruits in it. Only raisins, good raisins with rum or some other beverage around and in them. And maybe brandied cherries.

So perfectly written. This is a masterpiece. Thank you.

I only like fruitcake in winter.
So, why only in winter?

Ever been obliged to eat a slab of Christmas cake in 40C heat? Try it and you'll probably understand what I mean. My grandmother used to make mighty fine Christmas puddings, but I could only enjoy it on 12C Christmases.

Rosie

I, for one, do not like traditional fruitcake, because I do not like most candied fruit. However, my mom made an "Icebox Fruitcake" one year when I was a teenager, and it was delicious! She's lost the recipe, and the only thing I remember about it was that it had graham cracker crumbs, marshmallows, nuts, and maybe maraschino cherries. Anyone have a similar recipe???

That's my grandma's secret recipe. I'm the only one in the family who knows what's in it. She puts loads of other candied fruits and all sorts of nuts in there too.

I do not like fruitcake. Frozen and sliced thinly isn't too awful.

I must like fruitcake as I made 63 of them this year! I only use nice organic dried fruit, real eggs, butter, etc. And they soak in brandy for a month. The great package send-off happens tomorrow--now that the truffles, fudge, cookies and more cookies are done.

what I wouldn't give to be on your Christmas list! :lol:

PAULA DEEN'S ICEBOX FRUITCAKE

1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk

1 (16 oz.) bag miniature marshmallows

1 (16 oz.) box graham crackers, crushed to crumbs

4 cups chopped pecans

1 (3 1/2-oz.) can flaked coconut (1 1/3 cups)

2 packages (8-oz. each) chopped dates

1 (16 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, well drained, halved

1/2 cup bourbon

Spray 10 mini loaf pans with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the condensed milk and marshmallow together over low heat. Stir constantly, because condensed milk scorches easily, until the marshmallows are melted. Remove the mixture from the heat. Set aside.

Combine the cracker crumbs, pecans, coconut, dates and cherries in a large bowl. Set aside.

Add the bourbon to the milk mixture and pour over the crumb mixture. Mix well with your hands.

Scoop the mixture into the prepared pans and press down firmly to mold into shape.

Refrigerate for two days or longer before serving.

Makes 10 mini loaves