Menu

Reality check--tutoring expectations?

I have been tutoring three PS young men in high-school English--and having a great time. I decided to register on care.com to possibly attract another student or two.

Today I saw this tutoring opportunity, and it bugs me. I'd like to summarize it for you and get your opinions.

Son has ADHD and is having problems in middle school across the board. He is very behind and discouraged. He needs long-term help in English, Math, Science, and Social Studies.

Allrighty. Now here's the kicker. The client is asking for someone to come to HER house, 3-4 days a week, for 2 hours a day. For $15-25 an hour.

Are these reasonable expectations???

To my way of thinking, she's asking for her own private school and expecting that a tutor is going to come to her every day for hours!!! For a pittance!!! And do ALL subjects!!!

It just seems crazy, and then I start to feel crazy wondering if I'm just too picky. But I wonder how on earth she's going to find one person qualified in all of those areas.

What says the hive?

Son has ADHD and is having problems in middle school across the board. He is very behind and discouraged. He needs long-term help in English, Math, Science, and Social Studies.

Allrighty. Now here's the kicker. The client is asking for someone to come to HER house, 3-4 days a week, for 2 hours a day. For $15-25 an hour.

NO WAY!! I've done tutoring in the past and there is no way I would take this on. Everything I bolded says why I wouldn't do it - that is way too much expectation for very little money. I would be wondering if I was about to get a huge boatload of problems for little recompense. Now - I'd feel sorry and want to help the child probably, but I'd only consider it for quite a bit more money, and coming to MY house, esp. since it's 2 hours/day, and I'd probably have to put in some prep time during the week on top of that time, for all those subjects, for a long term commitment.

I didn't have younger kids to worry about

AND

this help in all areas just meant going over his homework and making sure he's understanding his school assignments..... NOT if I was having to plan everything!

AND if the problems he's having aren't related to discipline issues.

*and it would have to be the number at the upper end*

is she wanting one tutor for all that? I don't think that is a pittance at all for one subject.

The price sounds okay for one subject. I have no problem with wanting it in her home that often. Many people hire tutors like that. And the best way to see the quickest progress is to do it frequently.

But yeah I would expect to pay that per subject.

We currently pay a tutor $35 an hour, 4 hours a week for reading for our son. The tutor is highly trained (Masters in reading with several specialty certifications) and could probably charge more but choses not to as a ministry. She would be $10 more an hour if she came to us instead of us going to her. $25-$35 an hour is reasonable in my area. I know in some areas it is much more however. If you tutored him 6 hours a week at $25 an hour, that is $150. 8 hours is $200. I can't make that kind of money any where else in my area.

You know, it would be hard to say what to do about that person. Sounds like she knows her son really needs help, and I might consider it for $25 an hour if he came to me instead. I would take time to verify what she is expecting however. If it is just homework help, that is not too bad IMO. However, if she is wanting homework help and remediation, that is not a reasonable expectation. My guess is that he has 2 hours of homework a night, which could take longer just because he is behind. No way in 6 or 8 hours a week could you remediate and just keep him going.

What says the hive?

I am currently tutoring a middle school student with ADD. I go to his house twice a week for one hour and am paid $20/hour. In one hour, I help him with his math homework and review his spelling words. Sometimes we will work on a homework assignment in another subject. He really needs a lot of remediation in reading and English (failure of the public school to teach these subjects properly), but for me to provide that remediation would require more tutoring time, more prep time, and more money.

$20/hour for basic tutoring is the going rate in my region. The child described in the ad you saw needs much more than basic tutoring, so I do not think that the expectations are reasonable.

But ALL subjects? I can see the above scenario for just one subject. But all of them?

Honestly, it would depend on the grade, and just how much homework. Most likely there would not be much in all subjects every night. But that is where I would talk to the parent and verify what is needed. How far behind is behind?? Can he read the material on his own but just needs someone to help keep jim on task or review questions for the test? Or does he need intensive work in the basics which is keeping him behind in everything? If he really is just needing a homework 'coach' to keep him focused and help him thru difficult problems as needed, to be someone he can ask questions to as needed, and homework for all subjects is never more than 2 hours a night, $25 an hour isn't too bad. And that part I find do-able. Really, I have done this before, several years ago, and it was fine. I joked that I was being paid for operating a study hall.

But it is unreasonable if he is more than a grade behind in reading or math and is completely lost plus completely lost in all the other subjects as well. No way can a person address all subjects and do the homework needed/required from the school and remediate the other problems in learning to catch the child up. In that case, I would make the parent chose what she wants- me to remediate and fill in gaps in 2 subjects or keep him afloat in homework without extra instruction.

Well, I would never consider $15-25 an hour a pittance. I think you could do a lot with 6-8 hours per week. It is probably not that the student needs help in all subjects so much as there is an underlying problem that needs to be remediated that will help him improve in all subjects.

I would do it.

Well, I would never consider $15-25 an hour a pittance. I think you could do a lot with 6-8 hours per week. It is probably not that the student needs help in all subjects so much as there is an underlying problem that needs to be remediated that will help him improve in all subjects.

I would do it.

I do this- find the underlying problem and remediate that, helping the student see the connection between that and his other work. It would have to be $25/hour though.