Menu

MUS is trying to drive me nuts

jenn-

For those that don't know, MUS switched from the spiral style of books to a more formally bound book back at the beginning of the year. I bought Gamma still in the spiral style because it was cheaper and I happen to like the format of the spiral books with the blank page for working out problems. Well DD flew through Gamma and she actually understood math for the first time ever. I had to order Delta in the new style of books. Today was the first day. We already had our first meltdown.

Why did my DD meltdown over easy review problems might you ask? Because now instead of 1A being only on 1 front page, it is spread out on the front and back of the page. Same number of problems, but on 2 pages. DD melted down because she now has to do 4 pages of math instead of 2. I brought out the other book and showed her that she is doing the same number of problems, but she just doesn't care. It is more pages. She went to time out for crying. Now she is doing her pages. Logic stage, please come soon.

I adore the change!! We put all our pencil-work in a binder. Now they don't have to drag out the math book, all their pages are right there. Plus, one of my children is well known for playing with the spiral stuff until it dies:001_huh:. If I could only get Growing with Grammar to switch to this kind of book, I'd be in notebook heaven!

complaint so far is the pages don't always tear out nicely. They are perforated, but only about half of them come out cleanly for me.

Have you noticed this?

I haven't tried tearing any pages out. Math is one of the subjects I try to keep in their original book. I figure when it comes right down to it, math and grammar (the other subject she works directly in the work book) are the 2 subjects she needs to show marked improvement in each year. This keeps it all nice and tidy for us.

I adore the change!! We put all our pencil-work in a binder. Now they don't have to drag out the math book, all their pages are right there. Plus, one of my children is well known for playing with the spiral stuff until it dies:001_huh:. If I could only get Growing with Grammar to switch to this kind of book, I'd be in notebook heaven!

Oh I really hope Growing with Grammar doesn't switch. They are one of the few left hand friendly books out there for my up and coming lefty.

My ds just moved from Gamma to Delta too and noticed this! However, he was just happy to be doing simple division instead of all that long multiplication that he didn't care! It takes him no time to do his 2 pages now compared to all that multiplication... maybe you could mention that to your dd?

As far as the pages... I haven't had any trouble tearing out... my dd is in the last 1/3 of Beta (new style) and they tear out okay. I actually like the tear out because I do take them out of the workbook and we file them in file folders according to the month. I prefer the spiral bound teachers guide though because it lays flatter.

My ds just moved from Gamma to Delta too and noticed this! However, he was just happy to be doing simple division instead of all that long multiplication that he didn't care! It takes him no time to do his 2 pages now compared to all that multiplication... maybe you could mention that to your dd?

This is a very good point. Maybe I should print off a 25 problem page of 4 digit multiplication and ask if she would prefer to be doing that.