Menu

LLATL yellow or Rod and Staff English 2?

homemama

Which would you pick for an 8 year old that needs a little help with phonics(due to me switching things around too much last year)?

We're doing Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. Rod and Staff fits in with the guides, but I love the material in LLATL.

I thought about doing the LLATL this year and doing the R&S 3 next year with Bigger. Not sure what to do to finish this year. We have bounced around with this since August and I know that's not good!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

homemama

ds-8 years

Just wanted to double check first - I think you referred to Rod and Staff english in your post but did you mean R &S phonics ? (just asking b/c your issue seemed to be with phonics). I don't think that R&S english would help with phonics. My apologies if I misunderstand your question ....

Anyway, I can only share my general experience with Rod and Staff english (know nothing about their phonics program) but we switched after doing 3/4 of yellow LLATL to Rod and Staff English 2 because I thought dd 8 wasn't retaining enough from LLATL. I quite liked LLATL but it jumped around a lot and my dd needed to really master a skill before moving on. I now use several programs to round out her language arts.

Your dc might be different of -course.

But I wonder if you would be better just adding a pure phoncs/ spelliing program to HOD (and R&S) if that's the area that needs work ? LLATL is supposed to be a full language arts program and you may find you are getting a lot of instruction that you wouldn't need if you were using HOD. Meaning you would be doubling up on copywork/ dictation; book studies etc. (I'm guessing from what I have read about HOD; I have never used it)

More importantly, I don't think there would be enough phonic instruction to make it worthwhile using LLATL.

Hope you can get some other responses too

Jane

:iagree: with Audrey. Yellow assumes your child is reading fairly well and just needs practice and comprehension exercises. R&S English 2 is a grammar book, it's very thorough and gentle if done orally, but it has no phonics. R&S Reading and Phonics (which coordinates with the reading) is a very full curriculum. If you go this route it will take quite a bit of time every day.

Explode the code is a very easy to implement phonics program. You can also use SpellWell which is also written by Nancy Hall and has a similar feel, although they do not cover the same material at the same time, SW trails ETC. There's also Beyond the Code which works on reading comprehension.

If you don't like the style of ETC/SW/BTC, take a look at Modern Curriculum Press Phonics B and Spelling Work Out B. SWO is recommended in TWTM and these books do coordinate more than ETC and SpellWell. They're not quite as in depth as ETC/SW/BTC, but it's more a question of style than substance.

Another good phonics review that also incorporates reading comprehension is Right into Reading by Jane Ervin. I'm using book 1 now with my dd to review first grade phonics before moving on to 2nd grade in January and it's an excellent way to review phonics and apply them to both reading and writing.

I hope you find something you like!

Thanks for all the suggestions!:001_smile:

Let me clarify about the phonics/grammar that I mentioned. I am finding things in the LLATL yellow that he needs work on like adding ed and ing to a word that I can't locate in the R&S Eng. 2 book?? Maybe, it's in the 3rd grade book??? As yellow is set up for 3rd grade anyway, so that might be the case.

Yes, we do need a little phonics review. I've used Saxon phonics, Abeka (didn't completely finish) and he reads fairly well, but I do notice a few gaps with that. ETC is fine, but the pictures are confusing sometimes to my son. I guess we could get past that. I've looked at MCP before and it looks good. :confused:

Sorry, if my post was confusing. We need to get the right grammar book and some phonics review. All suggestions appreciated!!

Thanks!!

homemama

Sounds like he needs a good rules-based spelling program to me. I'd recommend either Spelling Workout (mentioned above) or Building Spelling Skills published by CLP. You can see samples here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?within=1016AAR&Ntk=title&Ntt=building+spelling+skills&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

He might need to go back to the level 2 book since BSS tends to be a little bit advanced. Take a look at the sample lessons and see which one fits him better.

Thanks for all the suggestions!:001_smile:

Let me clarify about the phonics/grammar that I mentioned. I am finding things in the LLATL yellow that he needs work on like adding ed and ing to a word that I can't locate in the R&S Eng. 2 book?? Maybe, it's in the 3rd grade book??? As yellow is set up for 3rd grade anyway, so that might be the case.

R&S English 2 doesn't cover stuff like adding ed and ing to words because that is covered in the phonics. R&S 2nd grade phonics reviews everything covered in 1st grade, as well as introduces new material about halfway in (like dividing words into syllables, for example). I highly recommend it!

Are you talking about the Bible Nurture & Reading Series?

How much of 1st does this review? My daughters reading is still quite choppy at times, so I would like some review.

Yes, I'm talking about the BNRS. The 2nd grade Phonics reviews everything taught in 1st grade, but goes faster. There's also the Reading portion with the readers, but we aren't using that.

As for phonics review in the English 2 book, we are halfway through it, and there hasn't been any phonics (since it's all covered in the BNRS Phonics). So far we've covered nouns, verbs, and pronouns.