Menu

What to do...

(I already posted this on the general board, but it was suggested I post here too since I have an 8th grader).

I have been around here on and off for a long time. I remember when Susan first wrote her book I went to see her speak since I am not so far away and was enthralled. Back then I had one child and life was simpler.

So now I have 3 more and what I attempted to begin with my first has went down the tubes. I mean, I have homeschooled them, but not the way I had hoped. I REALLY want to give them a good classical education, but how do I do that? HOW? PLEASE HELP!

I am overwhelmed with all 4 of my children home. My third is autistic, so we are actually looking at a private ABA placement for him (another story) as he is non-verbal and difficult to even work with. I have to find some balance.

Does anyone do it like Susan? And how? Do you get anything else done? :confused:

I am most concerned with my oldest. I just don't even know where to start we didn't even get through the trivium once before all the others came along, my Mom died suddenly, autism, you know- life happened. At 8th grade- what do I really need to get in and do before she graduates. She is bright, but nothing compared to what she could be in my opinion.

I REALLY do appreciate your input- anyone. My kids test well and are not just sitting in the corner slobbering, but I so wanted things to be different. Sigh.

Thanks ladies. I like being able to talk to others on the ground too!

Hi,

I have been on this forum since summer, most people customize what they do for homeschooling to fit their lives and kids, and incorporate Well Trained Mind where they can and in their own way. I have homeschooled for 15 years, and just read WTM last summer. I only have one more in homeschool, 10th grade. I started logic (Traditional Logic) and it has gone well. Other subjects I like how it is going I will keep the same and post for help if I need direction. I already have done history with whole books. We are just starting foreign language this year, and I got good suggestions here. We don't have time for Latin, and I don't feel like I can teach it, so I am not doing that.

With four to teach, and one special needs, I'll suggest what was suggested to me when I had one middle schooler and one high schooler and not much time: pick one or two subjects to do the way you really want (for you that would be classical) and use textbooks for the rest. Don't change what is already working for you, and incorporate the classical where you can (maybe for literature and history).

Hope this helps!

:grouphug:

I first read WTM right after it was published. I just KNEW we'd have classic scholars in our home. LOL It didn't happen. Not even close.

I've got 4 kids too. Each with some form of LD or illness. We've had job losses (yes, plural), moves (plural), extended family deaths (plural), extended family extended illnesses (plural), etc. etc.

At some point I put "classical education" on the shelf, but my copy of WTM stays right by my desk and is used frequently. The philosophy of classical education has been my foundation. I do not use all the methods in the book, nor have we been able to do all the subjects (latin, great books, etc) in our home.

I'm doing the best I can. It sounds like you are too.

:grouphug:

Please keep some things in mind.

There are many wonderful, intelligent, successful people who never had a classical education.

Any classical education will needs tweaks and changes to work with your family, you and your children and may look very different from the neighbour who's also classically homeschooling their child.

Any method of education, even the very best, becomes a hindrance and a burden when you give in to the anxiety of, "but what if I don't do it like the book/guide says?"

I can't imagine even SWB would disagree on those points.

What are you doing now for homeschooling? We all just do the best we can given our situations. For example, I don't have enough education myself to give my children a really good classical education. What I am able to do, though, is adapt some of the ideas of TWTM to fit our family situation. Perhaps it would help if you ask yourself what it is about a classical education that attracts you? Is it the Latin? Is it the logic? Is it the ability to speak well? Write well? Is it great books? Is it art history? Maybe you could just incorporate some of that into whatever you normally do? Do you remember the chapter in TWTM where SWB and JW talk about using boxed curriculums when life gets too complicated? They know that under some circumstances, it isn't possisble to give your children your dream education. Perhaps you could read that chapter for some recommendations?

-Nan

If my kids were the ages of your kids, my main focus would be on the oldest. With my primary grade kids, we only focus on the basics (math, LAs, a short nature study, and religion). She is finished in about an hr and half to 2 hrs. I don't do pre-school.

:grouphug: for finding the right help for your autistic child.