Menu

Blood pressure meds and Klonopin in the elderly?

Geriatric Use

"Clinical studies of Klonopin did not include sufficient numbers of subjects aged 65 and over to determine whether they respond differently from younger subjects. Other reported clinical experience has not identified differences in responses between the elderly and younger patients. In general, dose selection for an elderly patient should be cautious, usually starting at the low end of the dosing range, reflecting the greater frequency of decreased hepatic, renal, or cardiac function, and of concomitant disease or other drug therapy.

Because clonazepam undergoes hepatic metabolism, it is possible that liver disease will impair clonazepam elimination. Metabolites of Klonopin are excreted by the kidneys; to avoid their excess accumulation, caution should be exercised in the administration of the drug to patients with impaired renal function. Because elderly patients are more likely to have decreased hepatic and/or renal function, care should be taken in dose selection, and it may be useful to assess hepatic and/or renal function at the time of dose selection.

Sedating drugs may cause confusion and over-sedation in the elderly; elderly patients generally should be started on low doses of Klonopin and observed closely."

Last updated on RxList: 6/9/2009

As far as I know, the half-life of Clonazepam (Klonopin) is 34 hours--that's almost 3 times as long as Xanax, another benzodiazepine. That means it takes the average person 34 hours to metabolize the amount of drug in their body and reduce the serum concentration by 1/2. In the elderly, this can be extended by several factors that are unique to the patient, including the normal degradation of the kidney and the liver due to age and reduced gastrointestinal motility.

I couldn't find anything in my materials about Klonopin and high blood pressure meds, though I would be worried about your loved one's liver and kidney function, especially at this age. Though he only takes it once or twice a week, it is a concern if there is liver disease or narrow-angle glaucoma.

If your loved one is remarkably healthy for a 71-year-old, and his doctor is watching his liver and kidney function, I should think it would be okay. Klonopin is usually taken every day--with him taking it occasionally I would have to wonder if the side effects they are worried about would need to be monitored so closely.

That's all I could find in my stuff--keep in mind, though, that I don't even play on tv, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :001_smile: