Menu

HOD vs. MFW-is one less religously/worldy conservative than the other?

smilesonly

Hmm. Not sure I worded that correctly.;)

There was a comment on homeschool reviews about MFW being written with a heavy right-wing, fundamentalist world view. Knowing that this review was just one person's pov....I am curious to get the opinions of those that have experience with these two curricula, or at least have further researched them than I have.;)

TIA!

Smiles

:)

There was a comment on homeschool reviews about MFW being written with a heavy right-wing, fundamentalist world view. Knowing that this review was just one person's pov....I am curious to get the opinions of those that have experience with these two curricula, or at least have further researched them than I have.;)

TIA!

Smiles

"heavy right-wing, fundamentalist world view"? Well, unless the person posting is either not a Christian at all, or is what I would call a "nominal" Christian, I'd say that's a pretty extreme comment. :001_huh:

Can you give more specifics about what that person meant? Did he or she give any details as to what they meant by that comment? Or was it just a general, critical statement made without any basis?

In answer to your question, though, no, I don't think so. I'd say MFW and HOD are on about the same level as far as biblical worldview is concerned.

Maybe you could be more specific in what you're looking for in this thread.... hopefully not to just stir up controversy? :001_unsure:

I am using both right now: Adventures and Little Hearts. I think they are just about the same with their integration of biblical themes and lessons in science and history and even art. I could be wrong with my limited perspective but I think that as you go up in level, MFW keeps more with a theme being that of missions and impacing our world for Christ.

I can't really compare the two programs. But I can talk a lot about MFW.

I've used MFW since 2003 and don't think that description is accurately depicting the program at all. Some main reasons for it: Bible interpretation and history interpretation are left to the parents, and MFW uses multiple authors for books. Maybe the one thing that might count: young earth creation is part of MFW.

I think one of the quickest ways to learn more about the books that MFW chooses is to read their statement on why they choose certain books. It's about goals of the program and how a book fits in that goal. It's not about promoting a certain author or style.

Here's a link to that info:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8418

and their doctrinal statement

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8419

from my experiences:

MFW uses volumes 2, 3, 4 of Story of the World. MFW uses some Usborne books. MFW also uses some books written by some Christian groups (Apologia science, Answers in Genesis), and some various history books. Then you get a long list of library books -- some will not fit all families either, but they give you a heads up warning to allow for those who are even more conservative than they are.

What I have found over 6.5 years of using MFW is that you get a balance of views and opinions in history and the interpretation is totally left to the parents! and that's true with Bible too. I have to interpret it for my kids so I can put whatever meaning I want to. I personally don't fit into the ultra conversation crowds at homeschool conventions.

With MFW, you are going to get a lot of biographies about people who lived their faith. You'll get plenty of stories about Bible translation missions.

Can you get to a convention next year and check out their booth? (and same with HOD too of course).

I'm not sure how to describe more of who I am so that my comments even make sense. and have to pay attention to the kids now.....

-crystal

It depends on what you want in a curriculum. They're both conservative, evangelical Christian curricula. If you want an open and go, no tweaking plan and you're not a biblical literalist, social conservative, these won't work for you. If you're willing to tweak and don't mind filtering the author's pov, you can make them work for you. The major pitfall is science if you don't want to use creationist books.

If you're looking for a more flexible plan with less science problems, check out Sonlight. This is the easiest Christian program to adapt for other religious povs. Another alternative is to use SOTW with the AG as your history/read-aloud program and R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press for science is you want to follow the classical rotation. This is the best option, IMHO, if you would like a secular, open and go curriculum.

"heavy right-wing, fundamentalist world view"? Well, unless the person posting is either not a Christian at all, or is what I would call a "nominal" Christian, I'd say that's a pretty extreme comment. :001_huh:

Can you give more specifics about what that person meant? Did he or she give any details as to what they meant by that comment? Or was it just a general, critical statement made without any basis?

In answer to your question, though, no, I don't think so. I'd say MFW and HOD are on about the same level as far as biblical worldview is concerned.

Maybe you could be more specific in what you're looking for in this thread.... hopefully not to just stir up controversy? :001_unsure:

Not trying to stir up controversy. I'm a new Christian, married to an agnostic. Trying to find a happy-medium curriculum is challenging.

I have no idea what that reviewer meant. I do remember there being that comment, along with something along the lines of the MFW message boards not allowing for open discussion and also something like expecting your dc to be indoctrinated. Pretty strong words. I've never been there, so can't speak to that myself. Honestly, not sure what I could say that would offend others-so maybe she said something anti-Christain like, and was booted? Who knows? I only posted my question here, as this was the first place I had heard of either MFW or HOD, and I believe it was a link posted on these boards that led me to that person's comment.

Thanks for replying.

I am using both right now: Adventures and Little Hearts. I think they are just about the same with their integration of biblical themes and lessons in science and history and even art. I could be wrong with my limited perspective but I think that as you go up in level, MFW keeps more with a theme being that of missions and impacing our world for Christ.

Thanks, that is the impression I get,too.

I can't really compare the two programs. But I can talk a lot about MFW.

I've used MFW since 2003 and don't think that description is accurately depicting the program at all. Some main reasons for it: Bible interpretation and history interpretation are left to the parents, and MFW uses multiple authors for books. Maybe the one thing that might count: young earth creation is part of MFW.

I think one of the quickest ways to learn more about the books that MFW chooses is to read their statement on why they choose certain books. It's about goals of the program and how a book fits in that goal. It's not about promoting a certain author or style.

Here's a link to that info:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8418

and their doctrinal statement

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8419

from my experiences:

MFW uses volumes 2, 3, 4 of Story of the World. MFW uses some Usborne books. MFW also uses some books written by some Christian groups (Apologia science, Answers in Genesis), and some various history books. Then you get a long list of library books -- some will not fit all families either, but they give you a heads up warning to allow for those who are even more conservative than they are.

What I have found over 6.5 years of using MFW is that you get a balance of views and opinions in history and the interpretation is totally left to the parents! and that's true with Bible too. I have to interpret it for my kids so I can put whatever meaning I want to. I personally don't fit into the ultra conversation crowds at homeschool conventions.

With MFW, you are going to get a lot of biographies about people who lived their faith. You'll get plenty of stories about Bible translation missions.

Can you get to a convention next year and check out their booth? (and same with HOD too of course).

I'm not sure how to describe more of who I am so that my comments even make sense. and have to pay attention to the kids now.....

-crystal

Thanks for your .02 and links! I'm not sure if I could get to a convention. I would love to, though!

It depends on what you want in a curriculum. They're both conservative, evangelical Christian curricula. If you want an open and go, no tweaking plan and you're not a biblical literalist, social conservative, these won't work for you. If you're willing to tweak and don't mind filtering the author's pov, you can make them work for you. The major pitfall is science if you don't want to use creationist books.

If you're looking for a more flexible plan with less science problems, check out Sonlight. This is the easiest Christian program to adapt for other religious povs. Another alternative is to use SOTW with the AG as your history/read-aloud program and R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press for science is you want to follow the classical rotation. This is the best option, IMHO, if you would like a secular, open and go curriculum.

Hmm. I can't imagine not tweaking! lol! I'm new to the Bible, so at this point can't say if I interpret it literally. As far as being socially conservative-I'm in the middle, and always have been.

As for Sonlight, I don't like how disconnected it is-I really like how MFW and HOD seem to be more connected-maybe HOD more than MFW. (?)

Thanks!

I think a link I followed described HOD as being a combo of CE, CM and literature based. I don't remember seeing MFW described like that-but perhaps I'm wrong. That is what I am looking for-as close to it I should say!

Again, thanks! Hoping not to offend anyone-just trying to get a pov from a user of these, not the publisher or angry reviewer.;)

Smiles

I think both curriculum's use the Bible as a spine and that they take the Bible for literal truth. That does make some uncomfortable. Your children will know the Bible if they use these curriculums. We love MFW but know that HOD is a Bible centered curriculum as well. I think you will need to decide what you want for your children. If you want your children to know the Bible and have the Bible be the center of their studies then I think either one can give you that.

TIA!

Smiles

I just wanted to mention that the gal who wrote that on Homeschool Reviews has a big problem with one or two of the books that MFW has chosen to use, and feels they will indoctrinate her children into a specific theology. She has not used those couple of books with her children, and her child (one I think?) is still quite young. She simply dislikes the publisher. In at least one case, the book is a reprint of an out-of-print classic book not written by that publisher; not sure if she would like it if reprinted by another publisher? According to her posts, she has bought & returned multitudes of curriculum, many before she had even begun homeschooling. I am sure she is trying to do the very best thing for her child, but take her thoughts with a grain of salt.

I have used MFW for 3rd through 8th grade with my youngest, and used many other curricula with my older dd starting a couple of years before that.

My experience is that MFW does not write books.

MFW does not summarize the Bible for you.

MFW does not write questions or expect certain answers from your children.

MFW simply schedules a broad assortment of rich books as well as the actual Bible (in your own preferred version) for you to read with your children. They insure that a solid framework of education is being built without leaving out important pieces. They insure that the Bible is a meaningful part of education and correlates with the history and character lessons that a child is building upon. MFW encourages you to teach your own children your own faith.

Julie

Not trying to stir up controversy. I'm a new Christian, married to an agnostic. Trying to find a happy-medium curriculum is challenging.

Okay, gotcha. With there being a large mix of Christians and non-Christians on this board, you just never know. ;) Thus, I thought I'd ask for clarification before saying too much. LOL.

I have no idea what that reviewer meant. I do remember there being that comment, along with something along the lines of the MFW message boards not allowing for open discussion and also something like expecting your dc to be indoctrinated. Pretty strong words.
Yes, those are pretty strong words. Especially if they didn't provide any specific examples to back up their accusation(s).

Hmm. I can't imagine not tweaking! lol! I'm new to the Bible, so at this point can't say if I interpret it literally. As far as being socially conservative-I'm in the middle, and always have been.
I tweak every curriculum I've ever used, and probably always will. It wouldn't be *ours* if it wasn't tweaked to fit our family, you know? I prefer having a guide to start with, one which is easy to follow so that I can just go right down the grid on those days that we just need to "do the next thing", and yet allows for enough flexibility to tweak here and there as desired.

As for Sonlight, I don't like how disconnected it is-I really like how MFW and HOD seem to be more connected-maybe HOD more than MFW.
I wouldn't say "more than". Both curriculums have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'd say the biggest differences are:

1. Layout. HOD uses a 2-page spread for each day with each subject separated into boxes. MFW uses a weekly grid so that you can see at a glance what you'll be doing that week. You can pull up samples at each website to see the difference in layout.

2. Targeted audience. MFW is written for multi-age use for the whole family (other than the K and 1st grade programs, which are very phonics-centered). Each level of HOD is targeted at more specific age groups.

I think a link I followed described HOD as being a combo of CE, CM and literature based. I don't remember seeing MFW described like that-but perhaps I'm wrong. That is what I am looking for-as close to it I should say!
Here's a link to an overview description of MFW. It includes their Statement of Faith: http://www.mfwbooks.com/philos.htm

Again, thanks! Hoping not to offend anyone-just trying to get a pov from a user of these, not the publisher or angry reviewer.;)

:001_smile:

I have no idea what that reviewer meant. I do remember there being that comment, along with something along the lines of the MFW message boards not allowing for open discussion and also something like expecting your dc to be indoctrinated. Pretty strong words. I've never been there, so can't speak to that myself.

I'm one of the most frequent posters on MFW's board, but am not a site admin. I think I know from talking directly with their moderator a bit about MFW's message board goals and discussions.

Basically -- They don't permit links to any doctrine sites since MFW doesn't support one doctrine or another. They don't like to keep up all conversations especially "hot topics in Christian circles". That's not the purpose of their board. Doctrine talks tend to be the kind of talks that divide into camps and MFW really doesn't want that on their curriculum board. I know for a fact they welcome customers or interested customers to call them directly if they are concerned about doctrine/theology issues in the program. They prefer to talk in person to eliminate the miscommunication in email and message boards.

here's another post from some of their staff about a controversial book in their high school program.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8417

Their board is specifically about the curriculum. They don't provide a general chat forum for "open discussion" on any topic. No requirement in life to do that. ;) Even over here on WTM, things can be deleted if it isn't in their guidelines or goes downhill. no big deal there.

here's the post they had to say about that: notice in the post they say they contact the poster directly to talk in person to answer the person's direct questions.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8416

I don't know what the reviewer meant by expecting to be indoctrinated. nah... ah.. I see what Julie was saying. got it. I'll hush.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

here's the post they had to say about that: notice in the post they say they contact the poster directly to talk in person to answer the person's direct questions.

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8416

I don't know what the reviewer meant by expecting to be indoctrinated. nah... ah.. I see what Julie was saying. got it. I'll hush.

I can't find the review to which Julie was referring, but the post you linked to there, Crystal, was in response to a question someone had asked *on behalf of* a group of gals on another board. The person who asked the question (that particular day) doesn't even use MFW. She was just asking for someone else.

And no, it wasn't me. :lol:

Just a reminder that we might not all be talking about the same person. ;)

If I were you, smilesonly, I'd talk with your dh about where you both stand vis-a-vis the "hot topics" of geology, paleontology, prehistory, evolution etc. Based on the samples I've seen, neither of the curricula you mention is appropriate for families that do not subscribe to the notion that the earth is 5,000 years old. So it is crucial that you decide what your convictions are in that arena before you buy!

but the post you linked to there, Crystal, was in response to a question someone had asked *on behalf of* a group of gals on another board. The person who asked the question (that particular day) doesn't even use MFW. She was just asking for someone else.

Donna,

let me clarify then....

I did not intend to imply that we were talking about the same situation, or that the site admin post that I linked to was in response to the HSR review. My apologies if my writing style confused that situation.

I was simply pointing out that MFW does try to contact someone when "hot topic" doctrine issues need to be cleaned from their board to explain to the person the reason for its removal. They don't ban the person for asking questions. In other words -- I was saying they contact a person, not necessarily the specific person on any specific forum. does that make any sense?

I was more or less responding to the pull quote on this thread.

-crystal

I can't find the review to which Julie was referring, but the post you linked to there, Crystal, was in response to a question someone had asked *on behalf of* a group of gals on another board. The person who asked the question (that particular day) doesn't even use MFW. She was just asking for someone else.

Well, I don't want to flame anyone, but I suppose I should be clear about what I say.

Here's a positive review by this person (of a couple of different curriculums):

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7821&p=52391#p52391

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5182&p=48376#p48376

And here's her negative review (page 3, second post down):

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=161 (woops, edited)

And to be clear about what I've said, I believe the most recent publisher she objected to was CLP.

Anyways, we all change our minds on things, but this is a very vocal, very often changing, and very new homeschooler, IMHO.

Hope I'm explaining myself kindly.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Well, I don't want to flame anyone, but I suppose I should be clear about what I say.

Here's a positive review by this person (of a couple of different curriculums):

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7821&p=52391#p52391'>http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7821&p=52391#p52391'>http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7821&p=52391#p52391'>http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7821&p=52391#p52391

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5182&p=48376#p48376

And here's her negative review (page 3, second post down):

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7821&p=52391#p52391

I believe the most recent publisher she objected to was CLP.

Anyways, we all change our minds on things, but this is a very vocal, very often changing, and very new homeschooler, IMHO.

Hope I'm explaining myself kindly.

Julie

So just going by her negative review on HSR, the posts you linked on the MFW boards, and the dates of those various "reviews", it seems the poster never even USED the curriculum. Hhmm... :glare:

Thanks, Julie.

Originally Posted by cbollin

I was simply pointing out that MFW does try to contact someone when "hot topic" doctrine issues need to be cleaned from their board to explain to the person the reason for its removal. They don't ban the person for asking questions. In other words -- I was saying they contact a person, not necessarily the specific person on any specific forum. does that make any sense?

Yep, I understand that. I just thought you were saying... well never mind, I dont know what I thought. :tongue_smilie:

And to be clear about what I've said, I believe the most recent publisher she objected to was CLP.

oh... that book, exploring american history? That's what's got all of this going with the strong words? oookkay.:001_huh:

It's not as if it's the only book used in history even in the Adventures program. (the book went out of print and another book, Story of the US -- is being used. It was not available at the time of the review on HSR by the way. ) It was text book, and a few print errors made me say "huh?" Glad to have book basket then. But, the new book, Story of the US has those errors removed from everything I've heard.

I remember changing the pronouns on the EAH book from "we" and "us" to just say USA. and then remembered that one of the reasons I homeschool is so I can discuss multiple ideas with my children. There were a few times that book grated on my nerves, but it wasn't that bad to tweak a sentence or vent with my kids.

can I link to what MFW says about "providential history?" look for David's answer (that's David Hazell)

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1362&p=6901#p6901

and read the others on there on that topic.

I have to agree with Julie that my cyber impression of that reviewer on the HSR is that she changes her preferences often and that's ok.

Smilesonly -- even if you can't get to a convention to see either HOD or MFW, you might consider spending the shipping to see the packages for yourself. I don't know anything about HOD's return policies. I know MFW lets people do a 30 day review. I'm sure their return policy is listed someone on the website.

-crystal

I'm having a hard time keeping up with ya'll! ;)

So much for a neat and tidy answer, huh?:lol: I suppose I should have PMed a few of you to ask if either of these were so conservative that my dh may not go for it.:tongue_smilie:

I do appreciate the input each of you has offered. I'll try to read more links and really pay attention to those that have actually used the curriculum.

As for pre-ordering. I wish I could do that-we'll see. I was hoping I could buy what we further need used, you know? Or at least most of what we would need.;)

Thanks.

If I were you, smilesonly, I'd talk with your dh about where you both stand vis-a-vis the "hot topics" of geology, paleontology, prehistory, evolution etc. Based on the samples I've seen, neither of the curricula you mention is appropriate for families that do not subscribe to the notion that the earth is 5,000 years old. So it is crucial that you decide what your convictions are in that arena before you buy!

You make a good point!:blushing: Honestly, I don't even consider these as hot topics. Perhaps that is soon to change?

Thanks!

I think the best plan for all new home schoolers who are looking into curriculum is to write a list of priorities and goals. Your dh needs to be involved in these discussions and both of you need to be candid with each other. Is your dh okay with your children being raised with a Biblical worldview? Is he okay with your children learning science with a Biblical view? Is he fine with Bible verses being memorized weekly or in some cases daily? These need to be asked before you choose a curriculum and your dh should be on board with what you choose. It will make for a much more peaceful and supportive home school and home!:001_smile:

We love MFW and we love that our children are learning the Bible and have a solid Christian worldview but both my dh and I are both Christians. I think that the review was harsh and from someone who hasn't seen the curriculum in it's full scope and having used all the years except high school, I can say that MFW has never presented a point of view other than the Bibles. The TM makes it very clear that the parent is to give commentary not MFW. That being said, things like creation ( MFW has a 7 day literal creation view), it's missions focus and it's literal interpretation of the Bible can cause conflict with someone who doesn't share those views.

I pray that you find a curriculum that works for your family, Let us know if we can help answer any further questions - hopefully with less drama:lol:.

I think the best plan for all new home schoolers who are looking into curriculum is to write a list of priorities and goals. Your dh needs to be involved in these discussions and both of you need to be candid with each other. Is your dh okay with your children being raised with a Biblical worldview? Is he okay with your children learning science with a Biblical view? Is he fine with Bible verses being memorized weekly or in some cases daily? These need to be asked before you choose a curriculum and your dh should be on board with what you choose. It will make for a much more peaceful and supportive home school and home!:001_smile:

We love MFW and we love that our children are learning the Bible and have a solid Christian worldview but both my dh and I are both Christians. I think that the review was harsh and from someone who hasn't seen the curriculum in it's full scope and having used all the years except high school, I can say that MFW has never presented a point of view other than the Bibles. The TM makes it very clear that the parent is to give commentary not MFW. That being said, things like creation ( MFW has a 7 day literal creation view), it's missions focus and it's literal interpretation of the Bible can cause conflict with someone who doesn't share those views.

I pray that you find a curriculum that works for your family, Let us know if we can help answer any further questions - hopefully with less drama:lol:.

Thanks, Dawn.

My dh is okay with all the above, with the exception of a literal 6 day creation. ;)

Another alternative is to use SOTW with the AG as your history/read-aloud program and R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press for science is you want to follow the classical rotation. This is the best option, IMHO, if you would like a secular, open and go curriculum.
Mr. Q at eequalsmcq.com also has secular/neutral science that has some good reviews, and is more open and go. Then there is also Elemental Science, which follows WTM recommendations while remaining neutral on the subject of evolution/creation.

Thanks, Dawn.

My dh is okay with all the above, with the exception of a literal 6 day creation. ;)

I know several people on mfw's board and the customer yahoo group who use MFW and also don't do "literal 6 day" creation, but still believe God created it.

They either use the time to say "well, we think.....", or they switch out the science completely.

on MFW timelines -- they don't put dates on events until around the time of Abraham, so there is plenty of flexibility on that.

MFW does use some books that say "millions of years" -- the teacher's manual will say to edit that or use for discussion. If someone wanted to leave in 'Millions" then they can do that. Some of the books in the jr. high and high school level present science from creation point of view and also try to give the evolution side so that kids know about that too.

-crystal

So much for a neat and tidy answer, huh?:lol: I suppose I should have PMed a few of you to ask if either of these were so conservative that my dh may not go for it.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks.

Here's my (maybe) unique perspective...for what it's worth ;).

I've used MFWK, LHFHG, and BHFHG in the past. I would say they are equal in their "conservatism" just different. For example, MFW seems to have more of a missions focus than HOD. Not good or bad, just different. I would definitely look closely at the samples and decide which one looks better for YOU to use.

That being said, do you go to church? There are lots of things in both of these curriculums that would make you uncomfortable if you are uncomfortable with the organized church. I think you need to be a pretty conservative, church-going Christian to really enjoy them...but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all, or helps any. :)

Here's my (maybe) unique perspective...for what it's worth ;).

I've used MFWK, LHFHG, and BHFHG in the past. I would say they are equal in their "conservatism" just different. For example, MFW seems to have more of a missions focus than HOD. Not good or bad, just different. I would definitely look closely at the samples and decide which one looks better for YOU to use.

That being said, do you go to church? There are lots of things in both of these curriculums that would make you uncomfortable if you are uncomfortable with the organized church. I think you need to be a pretty conservative, church-going Christian to really enjoy them...but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all, or helps any. :)

Not sure what the poster means by comparing it to the organized church, so I'll just clarify a bit.... there are no doctrinal specifics taught in the MFW curriculum. They teach Christ crucified, the Resurrection, they teach that the Word of God is infallible and show how it lines up with the rest of history that's not told about in the Bible. The basic tenents of Christianity. But they don't teach things like baptism, eschatology (the church in the end times), etc. I know there was one section in... Rome to Reformation, I think? that had you read through a few sections from the book of Revelation, but you were just reading it to show the glory of Christ on the throne... not analyzing it for end times or anything like that.

In Adventures, when studying the names of Jesus and you get to the lesson on Jesus as the Bread of Life, and you're doing science experiments with bread and yeast, then they do take the opportunity to teach you what Communion is. That's something that most little kids will encounter when they go to church, and they're always curious and ask lots of questions. So I think it's a great lesson to have at that point in the curriculum. But they don't teach anything more specific than that. (You know how different denominations will do Communion differently... MFW doesn't get into all that. They just teach what it IS.) But if your dh objects, you may need to skip the lesson on Communion.

So those are a couple of examples. And since I have an 8th grader now, we're using, or have used, every level of MFW elementary except one.

The one year that's MOST missions-focused is in ECC, and that's because it's part of the world geography and cultures theme of that year. (So it fits.)

That said, because Bible is so integrated throughout the curriculum, it would be hard, no, impossible, to skip it entirely. But not so hard to skip specific points that come up such as Communion when that's taught in Adventures, or the "millions of years" references in science. Marie does give you heads-up about the evolution references in the teacher's notes, but as someone else said, you can either ignore her notes and use it the way your dh prefers, or switch out the science completely.

You could also skip whole program years (like ECC) if necessary, unless your dh is open to it by then. I don't remember how old your children are, or did you say? If they're still little, then it'll be a few years before you to get to ECC, and anything could happen by then. ;)