Menu

We have Grammar on the Horizon!

CathyCDK

I am so impressed with the presentation of Rod and Staff Grammar 3. It is an excellent starting place. We have learned so much, so gently! Little steps really do add up. We are just now doing direct objects, having previously covered 4 kinds of sentences (and what is a sentence), ending punctuation, commas, subject and predicate, nouns, pronouns, verbs (helping and action, and being) and diagramming the above. I can't wait until we get to paragraph writing in the next section, because I know it will be easy to teach and easy to learn. The explanations are clear, the lessons give plenty of practice and can be done orally, and the teacher manual is a huge help.

Most lessons take us 10 minutes if we do them orally, about 20 if I assign some writing. We use the worksheets every once in a while.

If your child is 3rd grade or above, I'd recommend R&S wholeheartedly.

I am so impressed with the presentation of Rod and Staff Grammar 3. It is an excellent starting place. We have learned so much, so gently! Little steps really do add up. We are just now doing direct objects, having previously covered 4 kinds of sentences (and what is a sentence), ending punctuation, commas, subject and predicate, nouns, pronouns, verbs (helping and action, and being) and diagramming the above. I can't wait until we get to paragraph writing in the next section, because I know it will be easy to teach and easy to learn. The explanations are clear, the lessons give plenty of practice and can be done orally, and the teacher manual is a huge help.

Most lessons take us 10 minutes if we do them orally, about 20 if I assign some writing. We use the worksheets every once in a while.

If your child is 3rd grade or above, I'd recommend R&S wholeheartedly.

Rod & Staff is my favorite, then I like Saxon Grammar & Writing.

However, I've got ds9 doing CLE because he needs the workbook format right now because of writing issues. I think it's okay, but I'm not thrilled with it.

At that age I do grammar with my writing - using Writing Tales followed by Writing Tales 2. We then start the Junior Analytical Grammar and Analytical Grammar program. Currently my 5th grader is using Shurley because she did JAG in 4th (she's a little ahead of my normal progression) and I don't think kids should start AG until 6th so it's just a nice review for her.

Heather