Menu

Could one freeze then thaw sour cream successfully?

No it will be grainy when thawed. However, if it's just going to be blended into something like a sauce it can be, I've done that with sour cream I've frozen and then thawed because it was about to go out of date before I froze it. Frozen sour cream can be used if you aren't picky. We've dealt with thawed sour cream a few times when we went to make tacos and found out the 3yo turned the fridge to coldest and froze everything in the back of the fridge. :glare:

Thanks. It's one sale and I just need it for some recipes that I want to make and freeze ahead of time. Also, I was wondering about tacos, but it sounds like it's not the best idea if you plan to eat it instead of mixing it. I'll think about what I need do now.

Guest anneyandhannah

You can freeze it if you plan to use it in cooking or baking, but I don't recommend if you plan to use it as a dip or on your baked potato. Sour cream separates when frozen and takes on the consistency of cottage cheese. It’s fine as far as health to use, but it won’t have the texture you would expect. Hope the info. helps.

You can freeze it if you plan to use it in cooking or baking, but I don't recommend if you plan to use it as a dip or on your baked potato. Sour cream separates when frozen and takes on the consistency of cottage cheese. It’s fine as far as health to use, but it won’t have the texture you would expect. Hope the info. helps.

I'm wondering...could you throw it in the blender and whip it up to get a decent consistency?