Menu

Some Zhu Zhu toys may be unsafe

I read that yesterday. I have mixed feelings about the issue. For one, I think that yes, all toys should be SAFE. . .However, on the other hand, if your kid isn't eating the toy or something like that, is it really such a big deal? I mean, with Zhu Zhu pets, apparently you watch them roll across the floor.

But, they're way overpriced anyway! ;)

I read that yesterday. I have mixed feelings about the issue. For one, I think that yes, all toys should be SAFE. . .However, on the other hand, if your kid isn't eating the toy or something like that, is it really such a big deal? I mean, with Zhu Zhu pets, apparently you watch them roll across the floor.

But, they're way overpriced anyway! ;)

The big issue is usually that kids are, well, kids! As an adult, we might think that the kid is simply going to watch the toy roll across the floor, so the risk is pretty small. But these are marketed to kids ages 3 to 10, and there are many ways they can inhale/absorb/ingest dangerous ingredients.

Many kids in this age range are still thumb suckers, so that's one avenue. Those who aren't still pick up the toy with their hands, and then often rub their nose, wipe their eyes, bite their nails, and so forth. It's similar to a stuffed animal, so they might carry it around, snuggle with it, or sleep with it.

Neither of my kids were every the stick-it-in-their-mouth type, not even as babies, but many kids are. I've seen plenty of children in the 3/4/5 age range, lick, sniff, and mouth their toys!

My dd, 9, is still in the habit of taking odd things to bed with her, whatever has caught her fancy recently - - the list includes a very non-cuddly plastic sword, a wallet with expired gift cards, and other weird things.

So, we can't really count on kids using toys as intended. Those wonderful imaginations and low impulse control get in the way :D.

Well, I'm guessing that since it's a simulated pet that kids would want to touch it, and pet it and hold it.

I don't know. I'm getting really frustrated with the lack of a good solid inspection system (on both sides of the border). I think many of us assume these things are tested by someone in authority but they're not, and so often we find out there's a problem way after the fact.

The technology is there - the will is not.

There's a little hand held device that's used in mining exploration - it's an XRF machine - which you can point at a thing, kind of like a phaser LOL, and (if it's calibrated correctly) it can tell you the elements which are inside. There was a news story about a year or so ago in Canada where they went into a toy store with one of these gizmos and zapped a bunch of the toys, finding all kinds of heavy metals which you don't want your kids playing with..... The machine costs 30,000$ which is a bit too much for me unfortunately; otherwise, I'd have my own. :-)

We could easily have a system whereby all imported toys are checked before they're released on the market if we just wanted to.