Menu

Finals this week! I'll be praying for ds and will pray for yours, too! CC

Chris in VA

Thank you! My ds can sure use the prayers. He has his Spanish final this morning - this is definitely not a favorite subject, and his computer class final on Wednesday. Between the two, he has a test on The Prince (Machiavelli) in my co-op class. Busy boy!

DS#1 has finals next week.

I'm praying for all ya'lls kiddos, too.

I will join you. I have two students worried about some classes, so I am already doing this. I'll just add in everyone else, too :).

My son has his General Chem II final tomorrow--and he is being slammed by an incoming head cold! Summoning all good thoughts for him, please. And I'll join with everyone else as well.

Jane

Praying here....

DD has her first two of four finals today. Thankfully the next two are on Thurs. and Fri. so she'll have time to study. She has one class that she was sure she was going to get a "B". Then she got a paper back on Friday and got 100%, which now makes it possible for her to get an A-. She's now more nervous about that final than she was when she was sure of a B.

Leanna

I love this idea! :)

I pray for all our WTM college kids, that they may:

• Stay healthy;
  • Get a reasonable amount of rest;
  • Be able to focus and study efficiently; and
  • Feel God's comfort and peace while taking their finals

Prayers for our daughter (a freshman) would be most appreciated. She has her oral and written Spanish exams this Wednesday and Friday, respectively. She has college algebra (really more like an intense, rigorous pre-calculus) on Monday (Dec. 14th); chemistry on Tuesday; psychology on Thursday. Somewhere in there she also has a take home essay exam in English.

Of all these exams, she is most nervous about chemistry. She is on the border between an A and a B right now and really covets an A to remain competitive for nursing school admission. It's an extremely difficult class; this teacher gives only 10% of his students an A. :001_huh: So specific prayers for her chemistry exam would be perfect!

Ds has two finals tomorrow and three next week. He commutes and the weather/road conditions today are horrible with more storms on the way. :ohmy:

He's especially stressed about Chem lecture and English because he's teetering between and A and B in both classes with the possibility of A's if he does well on the finals.

Martha

He's especially stressed about Chem lecture and English because he's teetering between and A and B in both classes with the possibility of A's if he does well on the finals.

Martha

Sounds like a very similar situation to my daughter! Especially in chemistry, she is so exactly on the borderline between an A and a B that everything will end up coming down to the final. :eek:

Oh, and her university does not give any weight to minuses or pluses on grades. So she'll either get a 3.0 factored into her pre-nursing GPA or a 4.0 in that class - nothing in between. I'm praying for the latter. ;)

Sounds like a very similar situation to my daughter! Especially in chemistry, she is so exactly on the borderline between an A and a B that everything will end up coming down to the final. :eek:

Oh, and her university does not give any weight to minuses or pluses on grades. So she'll either get a 3.0 factored into her pre-nursing GPA or a 4.0 in that class - nothing in between. I'm praying for the latter. ;)

Now, that's stress! Ds' final will be a national exam which makes him a bit nervous since this will be his first try at an ACS exam and he already knows it going to be tough. I looked at the study guide; he's got a busy week ahead. :D

Great idea. Joining belatedly. Praying too!

If ds falls below a 3.0 after I don't remember how many hours he stands to lose his HOPE scholarship and his co-op job. No pressure!! Thanks!

Mary

Yes . . . my daughter loses her merit scholarship if her GPA falls below 3.0 as well. :( I don't think that's a possibility this semester . . . I sure hope not! ;)

Oh, praying for all your children!

My oldest is taking a final right now and has a few more coming up. We spent an hour or so reviewing for the (history) test before she left this morning and I think that she was very prepared.

She also has to keep her grades up at 3.0 for her partial scholarship and a 3.5 to stay in the honors program, but she is aiming for a 4.0! There is a chance that, if she keeps a 4.0 for the first two semesters, they will increase her scholarship, which would be sweet! I wish that she was not pressuring herself like that but I do like to see her working so hard. Wish that she had worked this hard while she was homeschooling!!!

Still lifting our WTM college students up in prayer. :grouphug:

Yesterday I told my daughter that people all across the country were praying for her, and she was quite touched and appreciative. I think she is more in need of prayers than ever . . . turns out that she is on the razor's edge between an A and a B in several classes now. :ack2:

For instance, she has a 91 in her extremely difficult Spanish class going into the final, but her professor has decided they need a 92 in the class to get an A. :glare: And remember that this university gives no plusses or minuses. It is astounding to me that she could get a 91 in a class and have it factored into her GPA as a 3.0! :confused:

Still lifting our WTM college students up in prayer. :grouphug:

Yesterday I told my daughter that people all across the country were praying for her, and she was quite touched and appreciative. I think she is more in need of prayers than ever . . . turns out that she is on the razor's edge between an A and a B in several classes now. :ack2:

For instance, she has a 91 in her extremely difficult Spanish class going into the final, but her professor has decided they need a 92 in the class to get an A. :glare: And remember that this university gives no plusses or minuses. It is astounding to me that she could get a 91 in a class and have it factored into her GPA as a 3.0! :confused:

Umm...IMO, that sort of thing needs to be stated clearly at the beginning of the semester. Is this kind of discretion consistent with department policy? That would be grounds for an appeal at our CC. FWIW, Ds is in a similar position with regard to figuring the g.p.a.

Edited by Martha in NM

Update:

My son managed to travel safely on Monday and Wednesday in spite of some ugly weather, but there's another storm in the forecast for Monday. :glare:

He's finished with Chem lab; the final exam went well, but he needed the entire two hours to finish! He finally got home after 9 p.m. It was a long day!

English is finished; it was a 12 week course. He still has a chance for an A since he did well on his research paper (95). The final was a revision of an essay written earlier in the semester with an in-class written analysis of the rhetorical intent of the original along with an explanation of how his revisions improve the original.

So, he's got three more finals next week; Chemistry (ACS exam) and Economics on Monday, with History of Architecture on Wednesday at (gasp) 7:30 a.m.

Still praying here for academics and safe travel home after finals for everyone!

Martha

Ds#2 has finished with his 2 concurrent university classes. We know he has an A in his computer class, but the Spanish class - well, we're in the wait and see mode. The professor is rather haphazard, Ds was probably borderline A/B, if the professor thinks you participated well in class, attended all classes, communicated with him outside of class, he will give the bump you need. Well, ds#2 is extremely quiet and oftentimes has a very lost look on his face (I've actually been asked if he is autistic - he's very bright, but just quiet with funny facial expressions). Since I didn't attend class with him (not that I would if I could LOL) I have no idea how he came across to the professor. Said professor thought my oldest son was "one of the top ten students I have ever taught". So ds#2 had a tough act to follow :-(

Our Update:

Ds had 3 exams so far. He did really well in math, but his math class was very odd--his teacher had had a stroke in the middle of the term, so they got some joker in to finish the class, and ds told me that no matter how he did on the exam, he'd still end up with an A. Not sure about that!

He feels he blew his art history exam--probably getting a C in that class, which is the first in his Art History major, so not so good. Pray for grace, I guess.

He thinks he'll end with a high B or an A in his World Cinema class--he's hoping for an A, but thinks he didn't do extremely well on the exam, and it was worth about 35%.

He has one more, a History of Cinema class on Saturday (or maybe it's World Cinema and he's already done HOC--It's a blur to me...). Wants to do well enough to maintain his A.

Apparently he's getting an A in his pseudo-English class--VCU has a weird class they all have to take--it's "sort-of" English. Anyway, so far so good in that one.

Thanks for the prayers; still holding 'em up for you and yours!

Update:

My son managed to travel safely on Monday and Wednesday in spite of some ugly weather, but there's another storm in the forecast for Monday. :glare:

He's finished with Chem lab; the final exam went well, but he needed the entire two hours to finish! He finally got home after 9 p.m. It was a long day!

English is finished; it was a 12 week course. He still has a chance for an A since he did well on his research paper (95). The final was a revision of an essay written earlier in the semester with an in-class written analysis of the rhetorical intent of the original along with an explanation of how his revisions improve the original.

So, he's got three more finals next week; Chemistry (ACS exam) and Economics on Monday, with History of Architecture on Wednesday at (gasp) 7:30 a.m.

Still praying here for academics and safe travel home after finals for everyone!

Martha

Sounds good, Martha!

I bolded the part above because that's nearly identical to my daughter's Freshman English final. :)

My son is finished with his CC finals. He has taken three history classes from the same instructor, so he could anticipate much of the final. He felt good about it but was exhausted afterward nonetheless.

On Tuesday, he had his Chem II final. His prof gives them a chance to improve their scores on previous tests if they perform better on relevant sections of the comprehensive final. My son was in need of improving one score--which he did. He learned today that things were not as cut and dry as they first appeared. The professor rewards those who return to their ChemSkillBuilder assignments and attempt to improve scores--something that my son has been doing. He knew that this would improve his average; he did not realize that she gives extra credit to those students who are clearly going the extra mile to improve over the course the semester. I was happy to hear diligence and persistence are being rewarded, these being traits of successful students, at least in my opinion. (As a math person, I have grown weary of those stories of people who don't study and get A's, people who were supposedly born with "the gift". I have found that people who get high grades in math are usually those who are more diligent and persistent.)

Now...back to that last college application, those scholarship essays, Government, Calculus, and modern literature. Funny, Latin is never neglected.

And then there is this thing called Christmas. What a whirlwind!

Thank you to all for your prayers and good thoughts. I'll keep sending out not only good vibes for exams, but for safe travel. Boy, this eastern storm has thrown a monkeywrench into a lot of travel plans!

Jane

Leanna, congrats on getting your daughter back home! :)

My daughter just called with her first official college grade. The dreaded Spanish class, the one that requires a 92% for an "A" (which I found out is department policy, by the way) . . . the one that is a 4 credit class . . . my daughter pulled out a 92.11%!! :hurray: An "A" it is. Phew. ;)

My younger daughter, who transferred to a school in CO this year, has finals this week. It appears she has done well this semester, but I haven't been given the same level of detail as I used to get. Pray for a strong finish to the semester.

I was in CO for the birth of my grandson two weeks ago. We will be going back out for Christmas. Please pray for some good family bonding time- especially with my younger dd who won't have the distraction of school as an excuse to avoid relating with us.

Edited by Tokyomarie

Ds has the luxury of a whole day to prepare with nothing else needing his attention. And then, we'll wait impatiently for grades. The weather seems to be clearing, too. :D

Ds was surprised (and pleased) when I told him that WTM'ers from all over are praying for our students.

My father's comment on the finals: "Boy your kids are lucky. I didn't have my college finals until after Christmas. I don't think your mother did, either." (She didn't. My sister went to the same college and she didn't, either. I remember her feeling guilty every minute she wasn't studying all Christmas break.)

-Nan

My daughters last final was this morning so she is DONE - woohoo!

We are all so relieved - she can participate in all the rest of our family Christmas activities without stress or guilt! Hope that it won't be long before everyone here can say the same thing!!

Edited by Liza Q

He is relieved and feels reasonably confident about his performance. The biggest question mark is his Chemistry lecture grade; the final was as difficult as he expected. He used every bit of the time allowed and had to guess on a few questions about material that had been introduced but not been covered in depth.

We can't even begin to tell all of you how much we appreciated the prayers and good thoughts! I'm praying for those still taking finals and then for safe travel.

Martha

One son finished. The other and our two guests finishing today. Unlike some of you : ), we are just hoping everybody passes everything. Younger one's calculus is dubious. (No surprise - we've been predicting it would take him two tries to pass calc for years. He says the fundamentals of engineering probably went ok, though. This is our non-engineer, so he was surprised at how stupid some of his classmates were about the concepts. Concepts are one thing, though, and passing tests in them is another. Sigh.) I'm washing sheets and making up four beds. Yeah!!!!!

He is relieved and feels reasonably confident about his performance. The biggest question mark is his Chemistry lecture grade; the final was as difficult as he expected. He used every bit of the time allowed and had to guess on a few questions about material that had been introduced but not been covered in depth.

We can't even begin to tell all of you how much we appreciated the prayers and good thoughts! I'm praying for those still taking finals and then for safe travel.

Martha

Martha, glad your son is finished! :) My daugher is anxiously awaiting her chemistry grade as well. It could definitely go either way. :001_unsure: A hard class, that's for sure. Sounds like there are several of our WTM kids fighting the chemistry fight this semester.

One son finished. The other and our two guests finishing today. Unlike some of you : ), we are just hoping everybody passes everything. Younger one's calculus is dubious. (No surprise - we've been predicting it would take him two tries to pass calc for years. He says the fundamentals of engineering probably went ok, though. This is our non-engineer, so he was surprised at how stupid some of his classmates were about the concepts. Concepts are one thing, though, and passing tests in them is another. Sigh.) I'm washing sheets and making up four beds. Yeah!!!!!

Nan, so glad your son is done! I smiled at you making up four beds. ;) You're going to have a houseful very soon, aren't you? I have to hurry up and do the same thing for my daughter. She comes home on Saturday. (Last final is this afternoon.)

Wow! Four fresh beds- you'll definitely have a houseful. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

We on the other hand have done no decorating or prepping the house for Christmas and our own bedroom is unusable because we are in the midst of a master bath remodel. We will be spending our first Christmas ever in a hotel. Since our girls aren't coming home, we're going to them! One is overjoyed and very much looking forward to our visit (the new mama). The other one- well, it's hard to know. On the outside, she'll probably be looking like she'll just tolerate us. On the inside, she'll probably be glad we're there. Whether she wants to see us or not, I'll be very glad to see her now that the semester is over and she has more time to visit. I did see her when I was there to help her sister with the baby, but it was getting toward the end of the semester & she was busy.

Mine fought it last year, at CC. We had him take Intro Chem, rather than general chem, thinking it would be easier, since he hadn't had any chemistry previously. Ummmm.... We were very wrong there. All that happened was that they crammed more in because they started back a little, and the second semester, instead of being more regular chemistry, was all organic chemistry, requiring tons of memorizing. My husband and I, who took engineering chemistry, were no help whatsoever. I can't believe he managed to pull off a C. He spent half his school hours on chemistry. Fortunately, the prof was one of those dynamite sort of profs and made the whole thing interesting. My son enjoyed it, or I would very much regret telling him he had to take it. (I was thinking that he needed a year of chemistry. I should have just counted half a year of CC science as a year of high school science and let him stop after the first semester. But as I said, he enjoyed it, so we don't regret it.)

-Nan