Menu

recommendations for a small coffee/tea/beverage brewing appliance?

Hi ladies, I'm sure you all can help me out. I don't drink coffee, so I'm clueless on this, but dd does occasionally. She would like a small (1 or 2 cup) coffee maker to take to college next year. She is wowed by the Kuerigs, but I'd like something that will do more for her.

I'd like somethig that will have some versatility, i.e. be able to do a variety of beverages (including hot choc, tea, chai latte, etc.) and even heat soup or milk if she'd like it. I don't think she's an espresso fan, so I don't think it needs that functionality.

I'd rather not pay for pods or k-cups, I'd rather buy her an assortment of coffees, teas, or mixes by the pound or half-pound.

Can you bring me up to speed on what we really need and give recommendations?

TIA!!!

Can you bring me up to speed on what we really need and give recommendations?

TIA!!!

In your place, I'd buy her a plug-in electric kettle. To go with that, she could have a mug or two, a small tea pot (if she wants to use loose-leaf tea) and a plastic cone with filters.

ETA: will her dorm have a microwave for milk and soup?

Best wishes

Laura

I agree with the electric kettle or a Hot Shot. Difference would be Hot Shot does only one cup of water at a time, and your mug/bowl must fit under the spout.

Both would work for tea (I did bags in college for ease), instant coffee, instant soup, instant oatmeal, and hot cocoa mix. For other soups or such I kept a small saucepan with lid, and used the dorm kitchen. Even if the kitchen was dirty, my pot was still clean. You could do the same to heat milk, or use a microwave (one they have in their room or that of a friend or the community kitchen).

Some of my friends had hot pots, but they tended to take much longer to heat soup in than my pot. And since they didn't have to leave the room to cook it, it often took longer to get it cleaned out. :ack2:

Laura, thanks for your reply. It is very practical and functional, and I can see *myself* doing exactly what you recommended.

However, I can also see my dd longing for something more self-contained, more "turn it on and come back to a cup that's ready". Does that make any sense?

She's not an extravagant kid, but I can see there being a bit of appeal to a machine that'll do it all for you.

With that additional requirement, any other suggestions?

Thanks again. (I didn't even know there were coffee cones!)

I know you said "no Keurig," but it does heat water for tea or hot chocolate, and quite quickly. My kids, even my 6 year old, use it all the time. You can buy pods for tea and hot chocolate, but it is much, much cheaper to buy the mix and use the K-cup just for hot water. Also, while the coffee pods are pricey, my husband, the only coffee-drinker in our house, has determined that it is cheaper than making a full pot and throwing most of it out (I have not checked his math--he may just be saying this to justify the Keurig). And, you can buy an attachment to the K-cup that lets you use your own ground coffee. The reviews on Amazon will tell you all about it. They are mixed, but my husband has had good results following the instructions about having it ground extra-fine (or something like that).

The Keurig is also nice in that you can have an assortment of coffee flavors available for visiting friends or roommates. It is a fun little contraption, and I don't even drink coffee. The pods are available lots of places, though they are often cheapest from Amazon.

Of course, it doesn't heat soup, but you don't have to wash it, either.

Sorry, I know that didn't answer the question, but we are really happy with the Keurig and want to share. :001_smile:

Terri

The Keurig also comes with an insert that holds regular coffee grounds if you don't want to spend money on the pods. You could also just run hot water through it and then brew tea or use hot chocolate mix.

Another option would be to get her a hot plate/electric burner she could plug in. She could put a kettle on it, or a small pot to heat milk. This might be useful if you think she would want to cook anything else, too.

You could also use something like this - to make hot chocolate or heat up water that could be used to brew tea or make coffee in a french press.

The nice thing about the Keurig is that the heating really is *instant* and it is definitely the fastest option and doesn't require any sort of dish/contraption washing. You have a nice cup of coffee in about 2-3 minutes and you are done. :D

Laura, thanks for your reply. It is very practical and functional, and I can see *myself* doing exactly what you recommended.

However, I can also see my dd longing for something more self-contained, more "turn it on and come back to a cup that's ready". Does that make any sense?

She's not an extravagant kid, but I can see there being a bit of appeal to a machine that'll do it all for you.

With that additional requirement, any other suggestions?

Thanks again. (I didn't even know there were coffee cones!)

As a tea drinker, I would be reluctant to use the same machine for coffee *and* tea. Blech.

I know you said "no Keurig," but it does heat water for tea or hot chocolate, and quite quickly. My kids, even my 6 year old, use it all the time. You can buy pods for tea and hot chocolate, but it is much, much cheaper to buy the mix and use the K-cup just for hot water. Also, while the coffee pods are pricey, my husband, the only coffee-drinker in our house, has determined that it is cheaper than making a full pot and throwing most of it out (I have not checked his math--he may just be saying this to justify the Keurig). And, you can buy an attachment to the K-cup that lets you use your own ground coffee. The reviews on Amazon will tell you all about it. They are mixed, but my husband has had good results following the instructions about having it ground extra-fine (or something like that).

The Keurig is also nice in that you can have an assortment of coffee flavors available for visiting friends or roommates. It is a fun little contraption, and I don't even drink coffee. The pods are available lots of places, though they are often cheapest from Amazon.

Of course, it doesn't heat soup, but you don't have to wash it, either.

Sorry, I know that didn't answer the question, but we are really happy with the Keurig and want to share. :001_smile:

Terri

:iagree: We use the Keurig for a hot water dispenser as much as we do for a coffee machine. I've made little zip packets of soups and when the boys are hungry for a snack they can help themselves. We love it for jello, hot chocolate (packets or homemade mixes), and hot teas. For coffee we often use the My K-cup and our own preference of coffee, but for quick and simple, like for entertaining and mornings I'm still almost asleep, I use the individual k-cups.

I can't say enough good things about this machine. :001_wub: