Menu

Restaurant-selection WWYD: Tell them or just be quiet and deal?

My favorite family members will be in town for the holidays and want to take everyone to dinner on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, they chose a restaurant where, when eating there two or three years ago, we saw cockroaches walking around on the walls near our table. We haven't eaten there since.

They ate there last year for Thanksgiving and loved it, hence the choice this year. I'd like to think the problem has been addressed, but the restaurant is in a historic house, and has been around for awhile, and is privately owned (i.e., no corporate oversight, etc.), so I don't hold out much hope. There also aren't really any other easy alternatives in the area.

So what would you do? Would you say something to the very nice family members who JUST sent out a mass email inviting everyone to dinner they're covering? Or would you just keep quiet, go, and cross your fingers?

TIA!

There's a website for our state where you can look up ratings of restaurants (all have to be inspected... I think it's through DHEC). You can see if there had been a prior issue that was addressed, when their last inspection was, and then see if you're comfortable going again.

Personally, I wouldn't be back.

I phoned the hostess (my sister in law) and told her that DH and I had been there a few months prior, and we literally bolted from the place when we saw critters all over the walls. I told her that no one was more surprised than us as we had all been there before that, and there was no sign of 'that.' She graciously said that they would select another venue....and they did.

I would not have been able to go back and eat there - EWWWWWW :ack2: - I get the creeps thinking about it.

My favorite family members will be in town for the holidays and want to take everyone to dinner on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, they chose a restaurant where, when eating there two or three years ago, we saw cockroaches walking around on the walls near our table. We haven't eaten there since.

So what would you do? Would you say something to the very nice family members who JUST sent out a mass email inviting everyone to dinner they're covering? Or would you just keep quiet, go, and cross your fingers?

TIA!

Seeing as how it was 2 or 3 years ago, I'd ask around locally and see if the problem has been addressed. It could have been a freaky, one time deal. Here's why I say that. DH works in a restaurant. They have not had a cockroach problem, ever. One day a customer complained that there was a cockroach running around. Turns out they got a shipment of chairs in, and the chairs brought the unwanted guests in. The problem was addressed, and fixed immediately.

Or, you could go to the restaurant and ask to see the premises as you are thinking about hosting a large family meal there in the near future (all true!), and see if you see anything :)

Or, call the local Health Department and see when they were last inspected.

HTH!

Rita