Menu

Tapestry of Grace books - Yikes!

I had decided after a lot of thought to go back to Tapestry of Grace. In the past I have ordered TOG yr 1 lower grammar books and found the price to be reasonable. Tonight I was looking at year 2 & 3 books for lower grammar and I see year two has 80 some books and year three has 92 books recommended. The 92 book recommended for year three come to $735:eek:, and books for Rhetoric level come to around $900. We have a horrible library and they never have any books I am looking for so I always purchase whatever books we need. I don't mind spending around $400 for books but $700-900 just for books is crazy.

ETA: I know this is still cheaper than private school

Edited by Guest

Yeah, it can really get expensive fast. I don't know if you were asking for ideas, or just venting...;) ....but...

What I did this year for our Yr 2 curriculum is buy the multi-unit books. Then I figured out which of the books my library had. Whatever they didn't have from the Literature category, I bought those, since you need those to cover the Student Activity Pages. For the History: In Depth and History: Core books, I am just substituting something I already have (I pick up any history-related children's book I can find at library book sales) or use whatever our library has on that subject--it doesn't really need to be the exact book.

So for instance, for week 7: The High Middle Ages, I bought The Minstrel in the Tower (the Lit selection), but didn't buy any of the recommended history books. My library carries some knights/castles/king & queens books, so between those and what I have on hand, I figured that would be enough. (Well, I did buy the Usborne Medieval Encyclopedia which is used all year and is considered History: Core.)

Plus, I check every used book website & amazon, etc. and try to find the best deal for the books--used or new--that I do end up buying. Search the for sale boards here or the TOG boards for good deals.

It can still be expensive, but it's much more palatable than forking over $700 for books!

Last year I had 3 levels in Year 3, here's what I do for grammar level:

1. Buy only the books I think I'll want to keep

2. Buy used when possible - I start looking right away for the next year

3. I switch out history books that are the same topic for those that the library does have since there are no specific grammar level history questions.

Talk to your librarian. They may take suggestions. TOG uses many award winning books and they may be willing to buy some for next year.

I've found a lot of books there. You have to be willing to get rid of some of your own books, but I can usually find some books to list. I've had to put some books on the waiting list, but I'm amazed at what usually comes around in time. Other than that, I agree with Karenciavo. Find alternates that cover the same topic.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I guess I was just SHOCKED because I didn't realize TOG used 80+ books for some of their year plans. I don't really think purchasing them will be a problem unless I have to start purchasing a different level for my ds. I like to have all my books new:glare:...I will have a library in my house by the time I am done homeschooling:tongue_smilie:.

I bought a mix of lower grammer and mostly upper grammer for year 3 and spent about $100 per unit using paperbackswap/used bookstores and used books on Amazon. I've bought some new, but mostly used. I don't mind used books, but we will have quite a library when we're done also since I plan on buying all the books for each level since I'll use them 2-3 times in our homeschooling journey. I'll shop a year ahead in used bookstores. Right now I'm collecting for year 4. Used bookstores is a strange hobby I have.

Beth

I don't use TOG but from what I've noticed about many history/literature based homeschool curriculums is that the often use similar, if not the SAME, books. For instance, VP, AO, and Sonlight 'share' a lot of the same titles. Have you looked at www.sonlight.com? Not for switching curriculum, since you've already made up your mind, but for their Reader Packages? Who knows, you might get a better deal, AND get everything you need all at once.

HTH!

I bought a mix of lower grammer and mostly upper grammer for year 3 and spent about $100 per unit using paperbackswap/used bookstores and used books on Amazon. I've bought some new, but mostly used. I don't mind used books, but we will have quite a library when we're done also since I plan on buying all the books for each level since I'll use them 2-3 times in our homeschooling journey. I'll shop a year ahead in used bookstores. Right now I'm collecting for year 4. Used bookstores is a strange hobby I have.

Beth

I was thinking and buying used books to save money would not be bad. Collecting books for a hobby sounds great;). We are a book loving family...we do not have a large book store here where we live and when we get to a big city we can spend hours in a Barnes and Noble. My only problem is the two times I purchased used from amazon I was not happy. The quality of the book didn't match their description.

can you network with anyone locally? Our library is terrible! I could not afford to do TOG on my own and at the time I was considering the program, there was not a co-op in my area for my age dc. Now, there are co-ops and the folks who do use TOG share books through that network. I use BF and have loaned some of my books to TOG friends as well.

I buy our books a unit at a time so that I can spread out the cost. The first unit I purchased all new so we could get started right away, and I started purchasing used for the next unit. I'm very picky about book condition, and I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the books I've rec'd from Bookmooch. I often do well with ebay also. If I see a book that I know is going to be used at some point in the future, even Year 4, and it is in good shape, I go ahead and buy or Mooch it. Whatever I don't have in time for the next unit, I will buy new from Bookshelf Central. I'm now looking for some reasonably priced bookshelves to house our growing library. Most of these books I would like to keep. Keep checking the for sale listings here - I've seen a few bundles listed in like new condition.

I was thinking and buying used books to save money would not be bad. Collecting books for a hobby sounds great;). We are a book loving family...we do not have a large book store here where we live and when we get to a big city we can spend hours in a Barnes and Noble. My only problem is the two times I purchased used from amazon I was not happy. The quality of the book didn't match their description.

I have had better experience buying used off of these boards than off of Amazon. On here you can find out more details about the book's condition.