Menu

Australia: A question about seeing a concert and scalper tickets

Hi!

Are scalper tickets readily available in Australia? For example, here in the US, if there was a concert that I wanted good seats for, I could just go to any number of websites and purchase the tickets from someone who is reselling them for a profit. It's a common practice and easy to do.

Does this exist in your country? Is it a common practice? Any information you could share would be great.

TIA

There are people selling in the paper and on ebay however if the boxoffice knows who they are and which tickets they got they will be cancelled and reissue tickets to genuine individuals so when you get to the concert they will not let you in because your ticket is nolonger valid. There have been people caught out who have paid 2 or 3 times the original ticket price only to find they can't get in and the scalper is nowhere in sight ofcourse. Most boxoffices also have limits on number of tickets to individuals to try to stop scalping, some even require 1 ticket per person so you need to turn up in person. It is not something we want to promote here and take measures to try to stop it. I have never purchased a scalped ticket, nor has anyone in my family (extended). If we want to go to something we get a ticket from the box office, if we miss out we consider traveling to another city to see it, if we still miss out, then we miss out.

I have never purchased a scalped ticket, nor has anyone in my family (extended). If we want to go to something we get a ticket from the box office, if we miss out we consider traveling to another city to see it, if we still miss out, then we miss out.

Same here. Morally it's just something I won't do.

I've bought tickets on eBay before but only from individuals genuinely selling tickets they have bought and are now unable to use rather than through scalpers. We went to Elton John and bought the tickets from a lovely girl who bought them for her parents... who couldn't go because they had a prior engagement. Poor girl paid a ton for them and we got them for less than she paid!

Ouch. Thanks for the information/warning! It doesn't sound like such a good idea to buy a scalper ticket for a concert there. Wow, it's really frowned upon there.

I would be sooooo sad if scalper tickets weren't available here. I guess I see it differently than you guys??? :confused: I don't do it too often, but I LOVE knowing that if I want to sit close at a concert/show - I can. Yes, someone profits from me, but it's a trade that I gladly make! I've been buying these kinds of tickets since 1988, and would be heartbroken if the choice is taken away from me.

It's the only way to get front row (or close) seats. If it weren't for scalpers, it would have to be left up to 'luck of the draw', and even then your best efforts will get you in row M or something.

I understand the law part - the artist isn't the one making the profit from the sales...etc, but I don't understand the point of view from you guys. What makes it so bad from a regular person's point of view. Just curious since I seem to be so out of touch on this one. :)

I understand the law part - the artist isn't the one making the profit from the sales...etc, but I don't understand the point of view from you guys. What makes it so bad from a regular person's point of view. Just curious since I seem to be so out of touch on this one. :)

For me what makes it bad, barring the illegality, is that scalpers make it impossible people to be able to afford to go to concerts. They buy up large as soon as the box office opens and then sell at ridiculous prices so that many people who should be able to afford to go are unable to. It's quite different to a licenced reseller who may make a slight margin, it's hugely inflated prices for tickets. It's morally reprehensible.