Menu

What Spanish verb form do you use if the subject is "Rudolfo y tu" ?

:confused: No. Where did you get that?

Also, you are speaking directly to "tu" in your example. Does that help?

ignorance, :D???

Actually, all my Spanish classes skipped the vosotros usage instruction so I never really understood when it was used.

Now, DS is in 9th and his teacher had said they will use it.

I am going to have him ask his teacher which one to use in this sentence.

Actually, all my Spanish classes skipped the vosotros usage instruction so I never really understood when it was used.

I would be lost with out vosotros. It's what I learned with in Kindergarten. I'm sure I'll use it in the wrong country and confuse people. I need to learn to live without it.

If they are using the vosotros then the verb would be quereis (can't do the little accent thingy, sorry!)

Verbs don't have male and female do they?

No, they don't.

I was thinking that since it wasn't 2 females in the subject, it couldn't be vosotras, so it couldn't be 2nd person plural. Does that make sense?

But it can be vosotros so:

Rudolfo y tu quereis comer tacos.

would be correct in Spain?

Yes, well you can't have a female ending on the pronoun due to Rudolfo. I guess the "tu" is a female then? If there is a guy and a girl you always default to male. But gender doesn't preclude a conjugation.

That is the thing...the tu is not clearly male or female.

It is a dumb fill-in-the-blank thing.

My big error was in thinking that 2nd person plural was only for females in Spain. But you chicas set me straight. :D

Gracias!

No, they don't.

I was thinking that since it wasn't 2 females in the subject, it couldn't be vosotras, so it couldn't be 2nd person plural. Does that make sense?

But it can be vosotros so:

Rudolfo y tu quereis comer tacos.

would be correct in Spain?

Except we don't eat tacos in Spain ;). Maybe you are thinking of tapas :-)?

Except we don't eat tacos in Spain ;). Maybe you are thinking of tapas :-)?

My brain hurts.

I was copying it off the worksheet & I looked really fast. All the sentences were about who wants to eat what. I did indeed make an error about what "Rudolfo y tu" want to eat.

They want to eat...

pizza.

I, however, will come and eat tapas with you. (contigo?)

Rodolfo y tú would require the casual 2nd person plural form since you are using the casual 2nd person singular (tú). Rodolfo is masculine, therefore you need vosotros instead of vosotras even if you (tú) happened to be a female: ¿Vosotros queréis comer tacos? or ¿Queréis comer tacos? If it was Rodolfa y tú, then it would be vosotras provided you were a female too!

In some parts of Spain and in Latin America the casual plural form of you is missing and is replaced by the formal plural you, which is ustedes (no masculine/feminine difference here): ¿Ustedes quieren comer tacos? or ¿Quieren comer tacos?

Rodolfo y tú would require the casual 2nd person plural form since you are using the casual 2nd person singular (tú). Rodolfo is masculine, therefore you need vosotros instead of vosotras even if you (tú) happened to be a female: ¿Vosotros queréis comer tacos? or ¿Queréis comer tacos? If it was Rodolfa y tú, then it would be vosotras provided you were a female too!

In some parts of Spain and in Latin America the casual plural form of you is missing and is replaced by the formal plural you, which is ustedes (no masculine/feminine difference here): ¿Ustedes quieren comer tacos? or ¿Quieren comer tacos?

Thanks so much!

I was going to say what Mabelen said...

Here in Guatemala we would use the Ustedes quieren. We don't use vosotros in Latin America much.

Thanks, Dayle.

DS is just going to have to confirm with his teacher if he should use vosotros or not.

Like I said, I NEVER used it when learning Spanish...so much that I erroneously thought it was just used with females...duh!