Menu

a question about wheat-free, gf, diets.

Is the need to eliminate wheat and gluten from our diets a modern phenomena? Have more people developed this problem over time?

I ask because didn't people eat these things since the beginning of time and were all right? Or, do we think that they had these same problems but had no alternative?

I think there are two factors:

1/ People eat wheat/gluten more than previously. It's in lots of things and it's heavily processed. It's a lot less natural than what our ancestors would have eaten.

2/ This problem has been around for a while but it's only recently that people have been aware of what is making them sick. In the past people got sick from food but didn't put the two together. As awareness grows then more people get tested or trial GF diets to see if thats causing their issues. For instance DD gets excema from eating dairy. Many people in my extended family get excema but it's only our kids generation where we have connected the dairy to the excema. My cousins are still slathering themselves in cream and have never tried a DF diet. I had doctors fob me off for years about my digestive issues but eventually I was able to narrow it down to gluten (took 10 years!) and going GF solved all the issues I was having.

Is the need to eliminate wheat and gluten from our diets a modern phenomena? Have more people developed this problem over time?

I ask because didn't people eat these things since the beginning of time and were all right? Or, do we think that they had these same problems but had no alternative?

No, many people did not eat wheat or other gluten foods since the beginning of time. Before people farmed, we were hunters and gatherers. We ate small game (the bony marrow), berries, leafy greens, etc. Wheat, and most other grains came-up in the Middle Eastern/South Central Asian part of the world. Those living in Eastern Asia, & North/South America ate things like rice and corn, cassava, etc.

There has always been diseases/conditions like Celiac, but they were not discovered till WWII when during a Nazi grain embargo, and kids in Holland, who had been wasting away, all of a sudden got better. Before that, It was just assumed they had dysentery. Much like Type-1 diabetes, it was a death sentence, for some but not all with the condition. Celiac is a genetic condition (Autoimmune).

Why are more people going GF? Maybe because of our better understanding of Celiac & gluten allergies/intolerance, and maybe the ever increasing genetic modification of our food (all to make a better profit for companies like Monsanto). Either way, it's nothing new.

We found out my son needed to be gluten free about 7 years ago. Within a couple of months of this, there was an article on the front page of the paper saying that recent research now shows that 1 out of 100 people have celiac vs. the 1 in 5000 it was thought to be. So, many more people are being diagnosed due to this new information.

Lisa

Why are more people going GF? Maybe because of our better understanding of Celiac & gluten allergies/intolerance, and maybe the ever increasing genetic modification of our food (all to make a better profit for companies like Monsanto). Either way, it's nothing new.

I think this could be a big part of it. Many people who have sensitivity to wheat/gluten do not have true celiac disease. Not only that, but because of our faulty food pyramid, we eat WAY too much grains. Grains should not be the base of our pyramid and I don't think they have been throughout time.

My 8yo reacts badly to too much wheat/gluten. When he was a baby, he was wasting away (quickly) until he was put on a gluten free diet (and gluten free formula.) Now, he doesn't have as many of the digestive issues of the intolerance as he does emotional reactions (uncontrollable rage, violence towards himself and others, hyperness, etc.)

And, yes, some of it is because it's the new diet fad.

I agree with what the others have said and would add that engineering of crops has meant that the content of grains such as wheat are different than what they once were. The 80-90% peasant population of the middle ages subsisted on a "daily bread" that contained much more protein, as well as other vitamins and minerals, that have since been engineered out of the grain. Kamut and other ancient grains being experimented with today in general do not cause the same sorts of allergic reactions in people that modern day grains cause.