Menu

would / could you paint a vinyl floor as a short-term solution?

We have several burns and stains on our 20-year-old kitchen floor. I have wanted to replace it with tile for years, and have the tile picked out, even. But it is not looking like replacement will be in the budget for a few years, possibly many, with eldest son going to college next fall.

What sayeth the hive? Has anyone painted vinyl? If so, what color did you choose?

How big is your kitchen? It's really really easy in install vinyl. Cheap, too. It might be a good solution while you save up for your tile.

I redid my bathroom floor for $16.

You mean, replace the vinyl? Hmm. I didn't think of that. We have quite a lot of floor space and virtually no counter space. So the kitchen is large-ish but inefficient. The exposed floor part is about 11 x 12. I'll talk to the man of the house and see what he thinks.

Wait. He's the one who wants to replace the duct tape on the floor with new plaid tape. Maybe he's not the best person to consult on this matter.... :D

My parents have replaced the vinyl in their rental house floors withthe squares of self stick vinyl. If my mom is watching discount places and sales carefully she can usually find really nice looking tiles for well under $1 each. They have also used ceramic/porceline tiles that they watch for as well and usually pay less than $1 a tile there. They do all the work themselves however to save labor costs. Until recently, when they bought their own, they also rented the necessary tools to do the job with.

Decent self-stick vinyl tile can be had for .94 sf on up. I'm planning to do it in our kitchen remodel instead of tile--and tile could be in our budget (diy). Some of it even really looks like tile.

I just don't really want to deal with ceramic, and hiring it done would be $$$$. It's beautiful, but so cold and hard. (I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting it. Maybe that would help you too? :D)

I will however, be attempting to tile the backsplash. Maybe tiling will become my new favorite hobby! :lol:

hundreds of years ago --and the floor had a pebbly surface so the 'dents' thing really didn't matter. I primed it, then used 'Topside' paint that I bought at a Marine (boating) store.

I would imagine that peel and stick vinyl tiles would be a more economical short term solution. The paint and primer were not inexpensive.

Lots to think about here. I will have to take a look at the squares; I need to run to the hardware store anyway today. (Oooh. Does that date me, calling Home Depot a hardware store?)

I guess I was thinking that I wanted to minimize the amount of "stuff" that would end up in the landfill, and that tile could go right over the painted vinyl. I wonder if we'd have to tear up and dispose of the squares before tiling?

MariannNOVA, since I grew up on boats, I am always up for a trip to a marine store! I love how they smell. Can you get topside paint in different colors now? When I was small, you had about two (nautical!) choices.

Well, you couldn't get any crazier than I did... ;)

I posted about this on the old board. Must be nearly 5 years ago now. :) We had multiple layers of nasty old linoleum in our kitchen -- and the top layer (still close to 20 years old) had been patched with *different* nasty old linoleum. When we moved into the house, we said we would replace it quickly, but then we found it would cost more than we'd thought, so we kept putting the project off. My mother came to visit once, and thought she would help me out by cleaning my kitchen while I was out teaching a class one day. I came home and she said, "You were right! I mopped, and it *does* look even worse than before!" lol...

There were too many layers already down to put another layer of cheap linoleum on top, even as a temporary measure, and the floor beneath was too damaged to rip it up (without being prepared for major work to follow).

So what did I do but post on the WTM boards?!? ;)

Lisa in Jax gave me a bunch of ideas -- I didn't know at the time that she will paint *anything*. (It's a wonder her children have escaped being painted all these years...)

Because of all the holes and patches, I didn't think straight painting was going to work. I did consider a technique involving torn brown paper and a "leather" look.... But then, after I'd scrubbed the floor and sanded it all by hand... I remembered that I had a full bucket of drywall mud in the closet. (Yes, I know you're burying your face in your hands and saying, "No! No! She wouldn't!" But let me assure you, I did.)

I coated the whole kitchen floor with drywall mud. It was still nice and textured. Had to go pick up another bucket to finish it. Then I painted it with one fairly neutral shade of paint I had leftover from painting the house. Just a plain old flat enamel latex paint. Then I dry-brushed over that with a different fairly neutral shade. Then I coated the whole thing with several coats of Polyacrylic.

It looked like the stucco walls in a Mexican restaurant.

I told my dad. He laughed at me. "You, um, know there's a reason we don't walk on drywall walls, don't you?"

But... Strangely... It held up. It looked fine. Everybody got a kick out of it when I told them, but everybody said it *looked* fine. They never would have known if I hadn't *told* them what a nutcase I was.

I thought at the time that I was looking for a 6-month solution to keep me from going completely and utterly INSANE looking at that awful linoleum every day. It ended up being 4 years. There were a couple of little nicks in the floor from where I'd dropped things (though only things like small skillets or knives dropped point-down seemed to cause any problems at all), but overall, it held up *shockingly* well.

Last winter we finally had it all torn out and replaced the subfloor and now I have the most gorgeous slate tile in my kitchen. I just love it. And of course it's a million gajillion times better than either of the two previous floor things. ;)

But still... lol...

I don't tell you this to recommend dry wall mud as a solution to *your* problem. I still acknowledge that there was nothing at all reasonable about my plan (except the part where I had to do *something* before I went stark raving mad, and this was a $10 solution that lasted me for four years)... But I do offer it as evidence that sometimes it pays just to do *something*. :) Even if it's a little crazy.

That said, if you can put cheap linoleum or vinyl tiles down over what you've got temporarily, that's a far more conventional solution. ;)

Nicole, I love Abbey's idea.:D Have you tracked down Renee in FL? If I remember right, she does a lot of DYI stuff. I thought she just replaced a floor in their new place. I think you can find some reasonably priced temporary options for your floor. If your dh doesn't have time to do the floor, you're a bright girl. You will be able to do it.

We had two deep red Bokhara rugs that I got a great deal on when we first built our house 16 years ago. Three kids have taken their toll. The fringe was gone and the edges were so curled, you could see a lot of the carpet pad. No budget to do what I wanted to do. We went to Home Depot and found two rugs that will work. They breath new life into our great room. I didn't know how much the condition of the other rugs bothered me until we did something about it. Pig off the truck. I know where you can get some free labor. Well, not exactly free. I need coffee. I haven't laid floors but I've hung sheetrock. Does that count?

We had the peel and stick vinyl squares in both our bathrooms and linoleum in our kitchen, all over concrete subfloors. We put tile straight over the peel and stick, but had to pull up the linoleum because it was already loose and shifting. The vinyl squares were so firmly adhered to the floor the tile guy we consulted said it would be fine to put the tile on top of them. He even said it would help reduce the echo from walking across the tile in hard soled shoes. So you wouldn't necessarily have to remove the vinyl if you do wind up tiling down the road.

We did pay to have the floors tiled because it is such a large area (most of our house), but I would do it myself for a smaller area. I tiled the backsplashes in our bathrooms myself with no trouble. I did go to the local tile contractor's supply store and ask lots of questions first - they even gave me a tile cutter to use for a weekend free when I bought my tile there.

We painted the floor in the basement playroom of our old house and it held up fairly well. It would've held up even better, but since it was in the boys' playroom, it was subjected to unusual wear and tear.

We simply kilzed it and painted it a lovely denim blue. The paint was purchased at the hardware store (or Home Depot, as we young'uns call it). It was paint that was intended to paint outdoor decks, I believe. The kilz was never marred by the boys, so it was easy to just touch up any scratches with the blue paint. We never sealed it, either, and I'm sure that would've helped as well.

Nicole, I love Abbey's idea.:D Have you tracked down Renee in FL? If I remember right, she does a lot of DYI stuff. I thought she just replaced a floor in their new place. I think you can find some reasonably priced temporary options for your floor. If your dh doesn't have time to do the floor, you're a bright girl. You will be able to do it.

:D

I did the floors in this trailer with 2 different things. I did most of the floors with this stuff from Home Depot made by TrafficMaster that is vinyl, yet goes down like laminate. It "floats" on top of the other floor, so there is no adhesive involved except on the edges.

Here it is:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100594661/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I used it because I had some left from the other mobile home I redid. Also, I used it on floors where the self-sticking vinyl tile would not work. The floors in here are in bad shape and have been pieced together and patched so much that they are not flat at all. In one bathroom it was so bad that I had to use floor leveler on top of the subfloor before I could put *anything* down.

For a temporary solution on a floor that is fairly flat, I would use either the self-sticking tiles (much cheaper) or basically do what abbeyj did. If your floor is not that bad, I would simply fill in the dings and dips - only do the whole floor if it is really bad. Then paint it.

In the other mobile home that I ended up putting that Allure flooring in my original plan was to prime and paint the subfloors. I only put the flooring in because my mother paid for it - she didn't want us not having just subfloors.

If you end up doing self-stick tiles, it looks a lot better if you start in the middle and work out to the edges. That is what I used in the kitchen here. The vinyl was stained pretty badly, but not torn. I used the self-sticking tiles because I had some (and only had to actually buy 2 more boxes.) My kitchen is 12x17 (best room in the house!)

Edited by Renee in FL

My dh did the peel and stick tiles about 6 years ago over the old linolelum and it is still going strong;)

I think it was eurostone. It comes in many colors and looks like stone tiles:)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=45598-79508-19700&lpage=none

I did this one in the grey, and have been very happy with it. It has been down for about 3 or 4 years now. It ended up being more than some vinyl, but we didn't have to try and go under kitchen cabinets and the island.

Well, you couldn't get any crazier than I did... ;)

So what did I do but post on the WTM boards?!? ;)

Lisa in Jax gave me a bunch of ideas -- I didn't know at the time that she will paint *anything*. (It's a wonder her children have escaped being painted all these years...)

So I clicked on this link to the OPs question, ready to type, "OF COURSE YOU CAN!" and came across your post talking smack about me. Ha-Rumph. ;-)

Lisa (who *will* paint almost anything, including her kids. Daniel was SILVER for Halloween a few years ago...)

You guys are amazing.

Abbey. Oh, my. What a story. Do you have before and after pictures? And why is it that knives always fall point down? And irons, when hot, fall smack down on the floor burning a perfect iron shape into vinyl, like a brand. I also found that the environmentally friendly citrus paint remover stains a lovely orange color.

And Swimmermom-Lisa, dear. You realize you just posted a "Will Work for Coffee" sign on your forehead? Maybe the crazed avatar picture will prevent hordes of Well Trained Pacific Northwest moms from hitting you up for labor. Though that ain't stoppin' me, baby. :D

Our floor has dips and waves so I'm thinking that painting will be a better solution than the stick-on tiles. Our dings and holes and burned spots are fairly small ones, so I'm guessing the drywall will work. In fact, I think the drywall mud is the reason that we have a few hills in our current floor. My husband is all about the drywall mud, Abbey. I never imagined you'd have anything in common, but whaddya know?

I found this image of a painted floor doing a search, and I like the deep brown:

http://www.jimmylegs.com/uploaded_images/3rd_floor_painted-786216.jpg

Also, because of the dips and waves, I think that laying real ceramic tile will be more involved, going to the sub floor, and that we may not be able to put them straight onto the existing floor. Not sure about that, but if we're going to have to tear up the floor, then I want to have less to throw away.

Lisa and Renee, thank you for the encouragement and the details about various options. (Silver, Lisa? Really?) I think that when we re-do the whole floor, I'd like to go all the way to the walls so that I can upgrade to free-standing cabinets rather than the built in units that we currently have. If we were to do that, the space to be covered would be 17 x 12 and a huge hassle.

Over the Christmas break, we are going to try a small space inside the closet to see how it looks and how hard the de-glossing business is. I am thinking we can do the whole floor in a weekend.

Of course, getting the duct tape off the floor may be the biggest challenge. Someone around here is very attached to his duct tape. Can you say, "Red Green is his favorite show!"?

Again, thank you, everyone. When I asked I was thinking out loud, but now I feel really encouraged. You're right SM3-Lisa, small things can make a big difference. You bring the kids up and I'll make the coffee.