Menu

Forgive the dumb question but what do people mean when they say the "Do Ambleside'?

Heather in VA

IMO "do Ambleside" means use their book lists and teach with Charlotte Mason principles. AO does have wonderful book lists and schedules, but the key is using CM's ideas in your homeschool. And there is a wealth of info on the site how to do just that. IMO (coming from someone who has done straight AO as written) don't be afraid to toss a few books here and there and add others in. Don't let that keep you from really enjoying and using AO. What I love most about AO is the focus on poetry, Shakespeare, fine arts, and nature study. :001_smile:

IMO "do Ambleside" means use their book lists and teach with Charlotte Mason principles. AO does have wonderful book lists and schedules, but the key is using CM's ideas in your homeschool. And there is a wealth of info on the site how to do just that. IMO (coming from someone who has done straight AO as written) don't be afraid to toss a few books here and there and add others in. Don't let that keep you from really enjoying and using AO. What I love most about AO is the focus on poetry, Shakespeare, fine arts, and nature study. :001_smile:

:iagree: I don't "do Ambleside" anymore although I have done it as written for my ds for a year in high school. I still do Shakespeare, poetry, fine arts, and nature study. Those are some of my favorite parts along with the great book lists and ... nevermind. I do like AO, but I don't do AO anymore. I just do a little CM in my eclectic mix. ;)

“What I love most about AO is the focus on poetry, Shakespeare, fine arts, and nature study.â€

Oh, me too! :tongue_smilie:We have used some of AO for the booklist, but some years we did not. I just can not follow anything as written. I also love CM, so we throw in a little here and there, whatever works…

We "do Ambleside" by using their 36-week curriculum which incorporates the fabulous book lists. We also use their nature, poet, artist, and composer 3-term schedules. We try to follow as many of the CM principles as I can as laid out on their website - and as explained in various CM books. We've done Year 1 almost as written and we are on Year 2 now.

I will give you AO in a nutshell given by Carol H. She is one of the moms that is very imformative on the AO yahoo group. Here it is:

1. Read books from AO book list

2. Do copywork

3. Practice phonics (for pre-readers)

4. Do math and science

5. Listen to music, look at art, read a poem

6. Take a nature walk

7. Keep a nature journal

8. Listen to narrations after readings-write them down or have child draw a picture

9. Sing folk songs

10 Memorize hymns and Bible verses

11. Get outside and drill (play)

12. Do some handicrafts.

There are lots of neat things to do. You incorporate this list in your reading. For example, after reading a passage from a book the child is reading, I would have them copy it, narrate it, make spelling words from it.

That's what I call doing AO!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heather, found this on the AO yahoo group and thought it might be very helpful to others...

Schedule to know what to do for each subject.

You will divide the weekly readingsthroughout the week and read some to them (they are hard) and they can read to you and explain they have to read to remember the first time and tell it back (narrating also known as oral composition). Then, take each link in the website

Art Study| Composer Study| Nature Study| Plutarch| Shakespeare| Poets| Hymns| Folksongs

and do it throughout the week as suites your time best. For example, I decided that we would start our week on Mondays with the most beautiful part of the schedule and that is Composer, Art, Hymn, Folksong, and Handicraft.

· Poetry reading is everyday, at the end of the term they will each pick out their favorite 2 poems and memorize them. Get a beautiful journal for each of them and this will be their poetry journal. This is where they will copy work the two poems they chose to memorize and all other poems they chose to memorize. I have them memorize one from the same author that is found in the Oxford book of Children’s Verses and one of their own choosing.

· Each of them will have their own Book of the Centuries at one page a century. Here log every body you come across in your reading that has a b-day and d-day.

· Do Latina Christiana every day. http://www.memoriapress.com/

· Math is everyday.

Math-U-See http://www.mathusee.com/

· Your kids will love Greek! A little bit

every day if you have time. http://www.greeknstuff.com/andrew.html

· Do nature study twice a week, get outside and walk or go to the nature center or the park. This is your Earth Science. Buy beautiful blank journals from the bookstore, one for each of you including yourself.

Year 1

Summer/Fall Term –mammals

Follow the mammals list in the Nature Study book and do one for two weeks. Until you have done them all. A book from the library on the mammal helps too.

· I bought the 1-2-3 Draw …books by Steve Barr and we study drawing 2-3 times a week depending on time. This helps with drawing for the nature study journal. We also borrow a variety of drawing books from the library.

· Teach yourself to watercolor and/or put them in watercoloring classes (basic) so they can eventually watercolor for the nature notebook too.

· Keep an art journal. Here print the thumbnails to glue into the art notebook and they can write the name under each. Also, cut and paste a small bio of the artist into the art journal.

· Copywork is everyday.You pick out a select sentence from the

readings for them to copywork.

· Permanship: alternate cursive and

print every day or copywork can be in the most perfect print and cursive is copy a cursive sentence everyday.

· For Plutarch I highly advise that you buy or print out the life from our Young folks Plutarch by Rosalie Kaufman. Then read the original life with Anne Whites study guide. We also do Famous Men of Rome by

memoriapress.

· Keep a music journal. Download or buy the composer music you are studying. Write the composers name and his b-day and d-day on the page, glue his printed picture beneath, then list the compositions

for that term http://www.classicalarchives.com/,

Also, cut and paste the bio of the composer unto the music journal.

· Do handicrafts one to two times a week. Basket weaving, knitting, sewing, latchhooking, quilting, etc.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/Handicrafts.shtml

· Narration throughout the week on the readings

· Memorize everyday and recite all on the last the day of your school week,

For example,

Monday: scripture

Tuesday: Shakespeare quote

Wednesday: 3 U.S. presidents

Thursday: poetry

Friday: recite what you memorized for the week.

· Read Shakespeare out loud together

· Daily Bible

reading. I have my kids copy a verse everyday that spoke to them, so a

scripture journal. They used to say this was hard because nothing spoke

to them so I dealt with their heart issue and the importance of listening to

the voice of the Holy Spirit.

Daily prayer and praise with you and

encourage them to speak to the Lord themselves. The structure is the

Lord's prayer.

· First we praise

· 2nd- his will over our lives is his Word, speak

scriptures over yourselves.

· 3rd daily bread is prayer requests

· 4th enumerate sins and repent

· 5th forgive others, names and offenses

· 6th lead not into temptation is help us with our

weaknesses, etc.

· 7th deliver us from evil is protection, mental,

physical and emotional.

· 8th end with words of praise.

It is also recommended the study of a modern language.

One like Spanish or French or German. But for your first year just fo the

latin and greek and then when you have an AO year under your belt at the modern

language.

This is how you do AO.

in His service,

Juliana Ferrerosa-Rosero Wellman

AO reading lists + CM philosophy = "doing Ambleside"

I use the AO reading lists (well, we are only in yr 1;)...and I have tweaked it some to fit our family).

I mesh SWB's philosophies (esp in LA...via FLL & WWE) with CM's. I guess that makes me eclectic. We do some narrations in the SWB style (guiding the child to be concise, organize his thoughts) and some in a CM style (guiding the child to give a "perfect recollection"). *I hope this works*:tongue_smilie::lol: (read: don't take advice from the newbie LOL)

http://bushnell.net/~peanuts/CMhighschool.html

I've found this page very helpful recently. I like to see where an approach/method will take you, so looking at it at the high school level really helps me. I can then see better where the methods will build. I've been looking at making some changes (mostly smaller changes) to our lessons and these notes have helped me some. We follow Ambleside Online but I have no trouble making adjustments or substituting books. We are doing a very loose Year 7 as in we are only using some of the book suggestions for that year, but if I add in more methods it will better resemble CM than if I had just followed the booklist perfectly but still left out these methods. Does that make sense? If you use her teaching methods and know her purpose in the books she uses then you can really use a booklist that you create (although the booklists at AO are excellent so I always use the majority of them).

HTH:001_smile: