Menu

BOB books: Is it just my kid?

FairProspects

Do other dc guess the sentences from the pictures without actually reading them? I realize my child is a master avoider when it comes to reading anything, but it seems like these readers would be only minimally effective for practicing phonics if the child is able to guess the whole storyline. Suggestions where to go from here for reading practice? MCP readers? He loves the Abeka little books.

Ha! I had this same problem with my ds. We switched to OPGTR for a year to get him out of the habit (but he detested it). Now we're with HOP and while the potential exists for the same problem he is reading well enough that he sticks to the words. Good luck!

Suggestions where to go from here for reading practice? MCP readers? He loves the Abeka little books.

We used the A Beka Little Books, then the A Beka Little Owl Books, and now the A Beka Reading For Fun books (at the A Beka website it's in the K-5 section, called Reading For Fun Enrichment Library--$42--mine were given to me). I don't have all of the Reading for Fun books, but most of them from 1-32+. There are other A Beka reading practice books at their site I'd be interested in if I didn't have these.

I was also given a few Rocket Readers, which are by Cook Communcations. I have Level 1, 2 & 3 (there are also Pre-Level 1 and Level 4). My K-er is reading a couple of these each day as well as one of the Reading for Fun books.

ETA: we are done with "reading lessons," now we use these for "reading practice." I only used 100EZ Lessons for reading lessons--I very rarely used reading practice books (the A Beka ones). She would have been distracted by the pictures or guessing from the pictures, as you said your son is. That's one of the reasons I like 100EZ--no pictures except the one you cover until after the story has been read.

Edited by gardening momma

The I See Sam readers are much better. They have better story lines and you can't guess the text from looking at the pictures.

http://www.3rsplus.com/index.htm

The link above is the cheapest source for these books.

http://iseesam.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_9&products_id=24

This link has the placement tests for the series. You can buy the books here as well, but they cost more through this site.

I think it's fine for a bit of guessing to happen, as long as they also check the word to see if it matches their guess. (Even if they don't, that's OK as long as it's only occasional. Because for one thing it's great for their confidence, and for another, guess what, adults who read at any speed also guess words.) But definitely do heaps of phonics practice so that they aren't in the habit of guessing instead of sounding out.

My 4yo dd is a terrible guesser, not only does she constantly try to guess words (even though she can read them quite well) but then she pretends to sound out the word she has guessed, it's quite funny to listen to :lol:

That's why I love OPGTR and why the kids don't love it.:tongue_smilie:

I got them for free from the library's reading program.

They are simple, but I was not crazy about them, maybe it was the pictures that bothered me.

I prefered Sing, Spell, Read, and Write. Once again, I got it for free from another homeschool mom. I used the readers and that was great.

I moved on to the A Beka readers, but I would choose the McGruffey readers over A Beka. If I had known about McGruffey I would have use those books. I think if you google it, they are on google books. I think.:001_unsure:

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I really liked the progression of the Bob books. We just used them for practice below ds's reading level. He does guess occasionally, but it isn't a problem with Bob books, he does it even when there are no pictures to clue him in. It's just laziness and becoming less of a problem as his reading improves. I like the idea of covering the pics with an index card, I may try that with my next ds coming up.

I cover the picture with an index card until after they read the words. That seems to work pretty well, then they laugh at the picture.

What a great idea! I will have to try this.

I moved on to the A Beka readers, but I would choose the McGruffey readers over A Beka. If I had known about McGruffey I would have use those books.

I have the McGuffey readers laying around too (due to my love of all old textbooks), I'll have to check those out. I thought they were used in the mid-19th century to teach a form of sight reading though. Do they work phonetically as well?

My kids love the Bob Books because they're silly. Yes, they try to guess the words from the picture, and it drives me nuts, but I still make them sound everything out phonetically. I'll have to try covering the picture too... good idea!

We also practice from opgtr and mcguffey's *which they love as well*. You can use Mcguffeys as whole word approach; they have the new words listed at the beginning, or you can use them phonetically and not have your dc memorize the new words. LOVE, love, love them.

I have the nora gaydos books and I can't stand them, personally. Any takers?

I have the McGuffey readers laying around too (due to my love of all old textbooks), I'll have to check those out. I thought they were used in the mid-19th century to teach a form of sight reading though. Do they work phonetically as well?

If you've taught your child to read phonetically, then any age-appropriate book should work, whether it was intended as a sight reader or not. It's the approach to reading the words that makes the difference. ElizabethB's website says that there are really only 2 true sight words in the English language--one and once (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page).

The I See Sam readers are much better. They have better story lines and you can't guess the text from looking at the pictures.

http://www.3rsplus.com/index.htm

The link above is the cheapest source for these books.

http://iseesam.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_9&products_id=24

This link has the placement tests for the series. You can buy the books here as well, but they cost more through this site.

I second Angie. Their progressions is also gentler (not as fast) and they have a lot more repeat of the same words.

Heather