Menu

Nut-free Christmas Cookie Recipes Please

I'm looking for some new Christmas cookies to try this year. I'm getting a bit tired of the same old-same old and want to venture out try some new recipes. Problem is, every website/magazine I look for is chock full of wonderful looking cookies with nuts.... and we can't do nuts in our home. So, give me your favorite, nut-free Christmas cookies to try.

Thanks!

My mom always made these, and I love them. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Crinkles-II/Detail.aspx

I also really like these cutouts from the Pioneer Woman. Painting the cookies before baking was so much easier for kids than decorating with icing afterward...well, we decorated with white icing, but better than making a bunch of colors. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/my_favorite_christmas_cookies_from_childhood_and_beyond/

Edited by muffinmom

What are the same-old? Just so we don't repeat the ones you've already been making. I don't really like nuts in cookies, unless it's peanut butter cookies. So unless it's something like that, I use the recipe but leave the nuts out.

I mentioned in a previous thread that one of my favorites is Molasses Sugar Cookies. Here's the recipe I use:

Molasses Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. shortening, melted & cooled (I just melt it partway and stir)

Add to cooled shortening & mix:

1/4 cup molasses

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Add:

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cloves

1/2 tsp ginger

1 tsp cinnamon

2 cups flour

Mix well and chill. Form chilled mixture into 1" balls and roll in sugar. Bake cookies on a greased cookie sheet at 325 F for 8-10 minutes. The cookies spread out by themselves. Makes about 40.

Here's my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe:

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter flavored shortening (or reg. shortening)

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup sugar

4 Tbsp. milk

2 Tbsp. vanilla

1 Tbsp. molasses (original recipe calls for 2 Tbsp, but I think it's too much)

2 eggs

3 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream shortening, butter, sugars, milk, vanilla & molasses. Blend until creamy. Blend in eggs. Combine flour, salt & baking soda. Add to creamed mixture gradually. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop rounded measuring teaspoonfuls of dough 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 2 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Makes 5 dozen cookies [if you make them that small].

What are the same-old? Just so we don't repeat the ones you've already been making.

Good point, I guess that information would help:blushing:. For Christmas the usuals are sugar cookies, spritz cookies, candy cane cookies, and something that my kids call puffballs but I don't know what they are really called (they are a round, dry, white ball with powder sugar on the outside and I think they usually have nuts in them).

The molasses sugar cookies sound yummy.... a nice variation to the regular sugar cookies (which we don't really care for but I always feel compelled to make).

Muffinmom,

I forgot about the chocolate crinkles. My mom used to make those when I was a kid too and I loved them. Thanks for reminding me.

Years ago my dad and I made some cookies from a recipe in my mom's Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I just emailed my mom to confirm which one it is, but this one from my more recent edition looks right... The one in my mom's cookbook has a big X drawn over it because for some reason no one but me liked them, and they thought the recipe was a flop. It's not, really. ;)

Spiced Slices

1/2 cup margarine or butter

1/2 cup shortening

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds, finely chopped (leave these out--you because you want nut-free, me because I want nut-free, but maybe for different reasons :) )

Variation (I think we used this): Oat Spiced Slices--prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1 3/4 cups and add 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats.

In a mixing bowl beat margarine and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add about half of the flour, the sugars, egg, cinnamon, soda, vanilla, nutmeg, and cloves. Beat till thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour. Stir in nuts [or not]. Shape into two 7-inch rolls. Wrap; chill 5 to 24 hours. Cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 F oven about 8 minutes or till edges are golden. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Remove; cool on rack. Makes 60.

Whole Wheat Spiced Slices: Prepare as above, except reduce all purpose flour to 1 1/2 cups and add 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. Before chilling, roll shaped dough in 2 Tbsp. toasted wheat germ.