Menu

Any suggestions for getting my 8th grader up to speed in vocab and synonyms?

Shelly in IL

Honestly, my mind is blown. WE are preparing for a high school entrance exam in January. I have gotten a test book - ARCO High school entrance exams. We've been doing diagnostics and he is just terrible at vocab and syn. He is an avid reader and for some reason can't do this.

I'm pleased, though, because he is blowing away all the other subjects. He is currently in an ACT prep vocab and roots class at a co-op and is the best student in the class. I guess this is why I'm so blown away. Any suggestions? Thanks

I'm curious about the responses you get on this as I have one 7th grader and one 8th grader who are avid readers but we still need work on spelling. They have what I consider to be a good vocabulary but yet at times I am amazed that they don't know the definition of certain words.

So, anyone have good ideas for her?

I would look at the questions he missed and figure out if you can lead him through how to get them right. My husband is too logical to guess at these types of things--I guess well, you might need to work on guessing and extrapolating. For example, when we were in France, I saw a sign and told my husband what I thought it was because of a similarity to another word in English and it seemed like a good guess. He replied, "but you can't be sure." (I can't remember the word now!)

Lead him through several, then try to have him come up with these types of things on his own.

(My husband is much better at math and engineering than me, over-logicalness does have its good points!)