Menu

Wanted--escapist/travel reading suggestions

The holidays are upon us, all the jingle belling and Ho-ho-ho-ing, gathering together with all the folks we love, soon to be in from out of town and staying here with me...

So of course, I would love to be reading about anywhere else but here.:D

I wonder if any of you would share with me what your favorite escapist reading is, especially if if involves travel, adventure, exploration, and isolation...:bigear:

Thanks!

The holidays are upon us, all the jingle belling and Ho-ho-ho-ing, gathering together with all the folks we love, soon to be in from out of town and staying here with me...

So of course, I would love to be reading about anywhere else but here.:D

I wonder if any of you would share with me what your favorite escapist reading is, especially if if involves travel, adventure, exploration, and isolation...:bigear:

Thanks!

Winterdance, by Gary Paulsen

I am currently reading Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before.

Other titles of his I've enjoyed are:

Baghdad Without a Map, and Other Misadventures in Arabia

Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches From America's Unfinished Civil War

A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World

All combine history and travel. He meets the most interesting people! I'm learning a lot about European explorers and the people they encountered, as well as interesting modern people all over the world. Fun books.

For just fun/escapist books (well, you might learn about Egyptology), pretend you are in Egypt with Amelia Peabody! Start with The Crocodile on the Sand Bank.

Wendi

I really enjoyed Alison Wearing's Honeymoon in Purdah. She traveled to Iran with her gay roommate posing as her husband. She has a quirky/funny writing style, but also deals with some serious topics.

I also liked Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air. He climbed Mount Everest in 1995, when five of his fellow climbers were killed. Adventure and drama, no humor.

hth!

If you are looking for a book that will make you ignore everyone around you (and all the housework you are supposed to be doing), then :iagree:

And you might as well get the sequel while you are at it, to save yourself a second trip to the library or bookstore.

This is one I really enjoyed (Queen of the Road) - even though our likes and travel desires are almost 100% different than the author (& more like her hubby):

http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Road-States-Poodle-Husband/dp/0767928539

Also, I really enjoyed Peter Jenkin's book, Looking for Alaska:

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Alaska-Peter-Jenkins/dp/0312302894/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259931168&sr=1-2

He wrote an older one about China that I still need to read...

If you are looking for a book that will make you ignore everyone around you (and all the housework you are supposed to be doing), then :iagree:

And you might as well get the sequel while you are at it, to save yourself a second trip to the library or bookstore.

Melinda, The 3rd book is due to be published in August. :D:D

I really enjoyed the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. Light, easy, feel-good stuff for the most part. The first book is a little slow to get through but once the characters are introduced there, the later books pick up into a nice story-telling rhythm. These are also on audiobook and the reader does such a wonderful job!

Cinder

I really enjoyed the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. Light, easy, feel-good stuff for the most part. The first book is a little slow to get through but once the characters are introduced there, the later books pick up into a nice story-telling rhythm.
Good to know! I have the first book, but after reading into it a bit just could not get into it. Maybe I'll give it another try and persevere!

[Peter Jenkins] wrote an older one about China that I still need to read...
I have that one, I thought it was really good. Someone gave my dh a copy of his A Walk Across America when he became a US citizen -- I liked that one as well!