Menu

Which math program?

This has been a really rough year for us. Unexpected events keep occurring and the future is uncertain for us. I am not sure if I am going to be able to keep homeschooling....even though the thought of ps makes me ill:001_unsure:. I know I am definitely going to finish out this year though.

The kids are in first and second grades and have been doing Math u See. But since it has a non-traditional scope and sequence I am wanting to switch to some thing more traditional. IF I am putting them back in school in August I don't want them to be behind what their peers.

My ds and dd are very bright and do well with any program...spiral/mastery. But they enjoy spiral more. Which math program would be a good choice to switch to? I have been considering CLE...is this a good choice or is there something better? Since my ds(8) has completed MUS Alpha and barely started Beta there are numerous concepts he has not been introduced to. I am afraid he may not be ready for some second grade curriculums and may have to start a first grade curriculum and just move faster through it.

I would appreciate any advice.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

If I ever had to put my kids in school, my first consideration (as difficult as it might be) would be to call the school they would be attending and ask what they use for math. Then I would buy it and make sure the kids were ready to sail in at (or above) grade level with competence and comfort.

:grouphug:

I would not use the curriculum our local public school districts all use (Everyday Math). I'm not at all a fan of it. I would make sure my children knew "traditional" math well, and if I *had* to put them in public school, I think they would catch on well, and maybe be ahead.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I would not use the curriculum our local public school districts all use (Everyday Math). I'm not at all a fan of it. I would make sure my children knew "traditional" math well, and if I *had* to put them in public school, I think they would catch on well, and maybe be ahead.

I totally agree that Everyday Math is a stinker and if I had to put my kids into a school that used it, I would afterschool them in math. However, I still think the kindest thing to do for kids who have never been in a formal school situation is to familiarize them as much as possible with the programs that will be used (even though I'm not a fan). It would be the easiest way to transition. Here's hoping the OP's district uses something else! :001_smile:

We have tried many math curriculums out there and tweeked them to death. But, I will say, I really like CLE. It seems to have a good variety of problems to do everyday so the child doesn't forget.

If my child doesn't understand something, I just stop and work on that with more problems on the wipe off board and then move on when they get it.

I would definetly take the free placement test since you are coming off of MUS. Your child might be a little behind since that math is very different but that is o.k., they are young and will catch up quickly. If you place them right, they will do well.

My one child is about 1/2 year behind in CLE math, and were o.k. with that.

I would definetly give it a try if your considering putting them in PS. MUS is probely not the best choice if you are considering putting them in school. It's good if you are planning to HS a long time. It's just a different math in general and focuses on one topic a whole year. Schools don't do that.

HTH