Menu

LEGOS? -- So this is why they are so popular?

DS9 has been playing with Legos for years and has probably thousands of them -- different themed ones (Star Wars is his favorite) and then just so many others - knights, castles, spongebob. DS has always played with his Legos with friends or alone and he will amuse himself for hours with them. :laugh:

DD9 and DD10 also have Legos -- not as many as their brother, but if a set catches their eye, we buy it, and it will see a fair amount of use. The girls will play with their sets together for a few days- than the novelty will wear off, and they will be finished with them.:bored::bored:

SO: here is the point of this thread.......for the past THREE days, all three of them have been playing some kind of continuous Lego game -- there are Legos everywhere (we're in a 300 sq foot hotel suite, but I'm dealing with the Legos) and this game just goes on and on. I'm not complaining....they have been playing since Monday, all three of them, no squabbling :boxing_smiley:, for HOURS and HOURS! They start as soon as they wake up, they stop for school, then pick up where they left off as soon as school is over, and will play until bedtime.....HOURS and HOURS and HOURS!

Is this how kids play with LEGOS? :confused: If it is, then I have a newfound :001_wub:love for Legos as they have not ever played so cooperatively and so long together.

Um ... we built a playroom over the garage basically to corral the Legos into one room. There are other games in there but really, Legos are the only thing that gets played with regularly. We call it the Lego Room.

For about a year, dd would play with him. They built a city together on the old train table, complete with a school, restaurant, hotel, power plant, garden ... oh my, tons of stuff. They used a whiteboard to record their currency system (the green 1x2 bricks were the currency). They would pay each other to build things and it was AWESOME! Then she grew up a little more and quit playing Legos (she is almost 6 years older than him).

Ds plays alone a lot, but probably 5 days a week the boy next door comes over to join in the Lego fun. Whenever other buddies come over, that's where they go. He has SO many Legos that I don't want to buy more, and buying anything else seems pointless. He's getting socks for Christmas, I think ;)

Noel is about 2 years away from joining in the Lego fun, and I hope Corbin is still into it so they can play together. Such fun!

I have a DS like that too...the obsession has decreased a little, but he still plays with them every day, usually for at least an hour or two. He went through a phase recently where he would spend hours drawing plans for his Legos--different things he wanted to make with him. And they always have some sort of function and he uses the moving parts in everything. It's been a great outlet for him!

DS9 has been playing with Legos for years and has probably thousands of them -- different themed ones (Star Wars is his favorite) and then just so many others - knights, castles, spongebob. DS has always played with his Legos with friends or alone and he will amuse himself for hours with them. :laugh:

DD9 and DD10 also have Legos -- not as many as their brother, but if a set catches their eye, we buy it, and it will see a fair amount of use. The girls will play with their sets together for a few days- than the novelty will wear off, and they will be finished with them.:bored::bored:

SO: here is the point of this thread.......for the past THREE days, all three of them have been playing some kind of continuous Lego game -- there are Legos everywhere (we're in a 300 sq foot hotel suite, but I'm dealing with the Legos) and this game just goes on and on. I'm not complaining....they have been playing since Monday, all three of them, no squabbling :boxing_smiley:, for HOURS and HOURS! They start as soon as they wake up, they stop for school, then pick up where they left off as soon as school is over, and will play until bedtime.....HOURS and HOURS and HOURS!

Is this how kids play with LEGOS? :confused: If it is, then I have a newfound :001_wub:love for Legos as they have not ever played so cooperatively and so long together.

Yep! My ds9 plays with Legos night and day. Sobbed for 1/2 hour today when I took away Lego privileges over disobedience....(I only took them away for the rest of the day)

DS will be 16 this month and still plays with Lego. He is constantly challenging himself to do odd things, like figure out what he can make with an odd 10 pieces he grabs as we're heading out the door.

This past week, I gave him a challenge. He *really* wanted a new set that Lego was only offering for sale online - the "Lego Christmas Village". I agree - it is really cool looking. But it is also really expensive. And it really only has maybe four new "elements" (what kid calls pieces, or pieces that haven't been in other sets before). So I told kid to make the village out of the thousands of pieces he already had.

When he started complaining that he didn't have *those* pieces or *that* color - I pointed out that a Christmas village didn't have to be the Lego company's version of a Christmas village. Much grumbling ensued, but you should see the village that is emerging! It is MUCH cooler than the Lego one! He is even allowing me to consult on items where he is hitting stumbling blocks (how on earth would I make a stocking for the fireplace, mom? Use a minifig leg, kid. Oh ).

Now if I could just get him to realize that what he has been doing all of these years is actually engineering...

a

I saw on another thread about whether girls play with legos and this thread about how the kids play with them - My brothers and I, all within 5 years of each other, would play with legos for weeks on end in the same game. They would remain set up and we would come back to it for hours at night and all weekend long. That is why they are so great!!

They built a city together on the old train table, complete with a school, restaurant, hotel, power plant, garden ... oh my, tons of stuff. They used a whiteboard to record their currency system (the green 1x2 bricks were the currency). They would pay each other to build things and it was AWESOME!

I have read all of them -- but the one I've quoted is why I am so amazed at what my three are doing - b/c that is what they are doing -- there is currency, geography, sports practice --I sit here and listen and I am floored.

And, yes, I do think there would be tears if for some reason I stopped the play!

thanks!

My oldest son liked legos pretty well.

My twins were just never interested. Their older brother couldn't get them interested. Our legos live in the attic because no one really wants to play with them. We have given many away, and we had a HUGE collection of all the basic pieces because MIL used to work in lego factor of some sort, and it was cheaper for them to sweep up all the legos and give them to workers than to pay the workers to bend over and pick legos back up and put them on the conveyor belt. That's the story I've always heard, anyway.

I'm not sure why some kids like legos and some don't. My boys are very good at entertaining themselves and would play for hours by themselves, so it's not that.

My twins were just never interested. Their older brother couldn't get them interested. Our legos live in the attic because no one really wants to play with them. We have given many away, and we had a HUGE collection of all the basic pieces because MIL used to work in lego factor of some sort, and it was cheaper for them to sweep up all the legos and give them to workers than to pay the workers to bend over and pick legos back up and put them on the conveyor belt. That's the story I've always heard, anyway.

I'm not sure why some kids like legos and some don't. My boys are very good at entertaining themselves and would play for hours by themselves, so it's not that.

If you ever want to sell some please let me know!

I am smiling as I read this thread. My sons are now 19 and 21, both engaged to be married in the next 6 months, but you are all describing them exactly! They would play for days and days and days, actually until I need the floor back in my living room! One house we lived in had a huge living room with a large picture window. I kept the sofa pulled forward about 6 feet and their lego space was behind the sofa but in front of the windows. They loved it!

The younger one is in college right now and he recently did a lego board for picture taking purposes for some classs he was taking..he is taking English education classes. I don't recall the reason, but it was sure fun to see him playing with his legos again!

I wonder if the Lord blesses them with children, how many legos their kids will have?????????

At the M&Ms plant in Hackettstown, NJ, the story is that anything that hits the floor goes to the pig farmers in Hackettstown -- I don't even know if there are any pig farmers remaining in Hackettstown, but THAT was the story!:D

Well, I'd LOVE to know exactly what game they are playing with these. :D If my kids could play together for hours without fighting I'd drop dead in amazement.

Well, I'd LOVE to know exactly what game they are playing with these. :D If my kids could play together for hours without fighting I'd drop dead in amazement.

Precisely! So you understand why I started this thread!

And, I don't know what 'game' it is -- there are restaurants, money, displays, boats, characters -- I am sure it is is pretty much an offshoot of what they played in the yard during the summer...and I didn't know what that game was either.