Menu

Can dd use LOF Algebra without having had pre-algebra?

My dd is 14 and is not strong in math. We just finishes Saxon 7/6 and I would say she is about a C student in math. Saxon was a struggle for her. I wouldn't let her read the lesson because she would get more confused. I would help her with each practice problem showing her each step and then she would understand the lesson. However, she would make lots of silly mistakes in computation. I think more so because she doesn't like Math so doesn't really care about it.

So, could she move into Algebra without going through a pre-algebra course?

TIA,

Lora

I think the Algebra book is pretty heavy. I'm not much of a math person myself, but IMO it isn't a gentle introduction to Fred, especially for a student who isn't 'mathy'. I'm interested to hear from more experienced moms, but if it were me I'd run through the early books first. We did the first two Fred books alongside Saxon 7/6, and now--he's 1/2 way through Saxon Alg 1/2 he still isn't ready for LOF Algebra.

At the very least, I'd do the new Pre-Alg book--you could get through it pretty quickly. If time and $$ aren't too big an issue, I'd do Fractions/Decimals % too--they would be quick and painless for a 14 y/o. Maybe you could find them at the library. I personally wouldn't try to jump into the Algebra book too fast, especially since the earlier Fred books are fun as well as worthwhile.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Edited by homeschoolally

Why is she doing poorly in Saxon? Is she having trouble understanding the math or is she bored or is she making careless mistakes? If it is the first problem, no, I wouldn't put her in Algebra without the pre-algebra or the fraction and decimals books. LOF is a challenging program that makes you think. Even with the companion book, I don't think the program has enough problems for challenged students.

So, could she move into Algebra without going through a pre-algebra course?

No, I don't believe so. My dd moved from Singapore 6 into LOF Algebra, and that's been a good fit. Why not start with LOF's pre-algebra?

The algebra book has about 105 lessons, which I've spread out throughout the year. Assuming the pre-algebra book has significantly less than 180 lessons also, you could easily go through it in less than a year. It's not expensive, and you should be able to easily resell it when you are done.

The author reiterates that the curriculum is written for the student to do. I help out when absolutely necessary, but I'm looking for mastery here because my dd needs to perform in testing situations down the road.

We are loving Fred. It's been a great surprise!

In LoF Fractions and/or Decimals, the author states that after doing those 2 books, a student is ready for Algebra. However, I read somewhere that the pre-Algebra books are for those who finish those before they are ready for Algebra, which makes a lot of sense.

If your dd is not strong in math, I'd try the LoF pre-Algebra book. Not everyone is ready for Algebra at the same age since the logic center of the brain, like at least some other centers of the brain, don't all develop at exactly the same age. I'd be sure that she's strong in her math facts, fractions & decimals. You may even wish to do LoF Fractions & Decimals if either of those are weaker areas for her, or do Key to Fractions (my middle dd loves those). Although some do them in either order, if you read them, Fractions ought to be done first, and that makes sense to me. Plus, the story in those two books definitely goes from Fractions to Decimals.

What I would not do is to rush someone through Algebra who isn't ready. The fourth Chapter of LoF Beginning Algebra is apparently the hardest chapter in both of the Algebra books, but this is heresay on my part from this forum (not to scare you away, of course, since my dd is an ardent fan of LoF and there are many strong points to it.)

I agree with the previous posters. Like Kristine's child, my one went from Singapore 6 to LOF Algebra - but after Singapore you don't need pre-Algrabra (my other kids went on to TT and Videotext). I would also buy the new pre-Algebra book.

I also agree with Kristine that LOF ALgebra (in fact all LOF) is wonderful!! I have moved all my kids on to it and they all love math now!

Meryl

I think the Algebra book is pretty heavy. I'm not much of a math person myself, but IMO it isn't a gentle introduction to Fred, especially for a student who isn't 'mathy'. I'm interested to hear from more experienced moms, but if it were me I'd run through the early books first.

Calvin is bright but not mathy. He had done a fair bit of middle school maths before coming to LOF. I put him through Fractions, and Decimals and Percents before starting Beginning Algebra. I think that this was the right decision - the BA book is great, but it dives in pretty deep pretty fast.

The Fractions, and Decimals and Percents books are short - they only took us a few months in total. I'd highly recommend doing them and perhaps the new pre-algebra book, which I haven't seen.

Laura