Menu

Can you recommend a good marriage/communication building book?

Hubby and I have decided we need to brush up on our communication skills and work at improving things in our relationship. We'd like to start by reading a book together. Any ideas? I am clueless. Christian perspective preferred...

THANKS!

We loved the Love & Respect book by Emerson Eggerich. Very insightful in many ways.

I like your avatar -- I have that icon in my bedroom.

We loved the Love & Respect book by Emerson Eggerich. Very insightful in many ways.

I like your avatar -- I have that icon in my bedroom.

:iagree: Our sunday school just finished a study using this book. Very insightful and Bible-based. Although, my dh (who is a VERY manly man!) still thinks there was too much touchy-feely stuff for his taste. I didn't think so, but then again, I'm a woman! :lol:

Recommended by my mother - a minister who has completed a master's degree in Family Life Counseling:

A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for your Marriage - Scott Stanley

Her comments: really good research & practical advice including "speaker-listener technique" and from a really responsible Christian perspective (egalitarian marriage...)

In addition to those above (love Gottman, btw): I Married You Not Your Family, and Nine Other Myths That Will Ruin Your Marriage and Your Life.

It is very specifically Christian and the author is heavy on personal responsibility. I think it's one of the best on the subject.

:grouphug:

I liked the love languages book.

I agree that Gottman is terrific.

My Professor (a Christian Marriage and Family Counselor and Pastor) recommends Dr. Larry Crabb frequently. (Of marriagebuilders fame). I havre only read one book of his, from a counseling perspective.

I highly recommend For Women Only and For Men Only. It really changed our marriage. I did For Women Only as a DVD Bible Study at my church 2 years in a row (each Spring) and after the second time I asked dh if he would listen to the audio cds during his travels.

He did and came home and wow what a difference! I believe he was willing to listen to them since he had seen a change in me. If we each change ourselves and focus on what our spouse needs, we can really affect our marriage! When we try to get our spouse to "change" or "improve" we really get stuck. We've been together since Feb 1990 and were married in Oct 1993, so we are doing something right. Could we improve? Absolutely. When I stop being selfish and more giving things improve and vice versa. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I also suggest Paul Tripp's "What Did You Expect?" The book itself isn't out yet, but if its anything like his conference by the same title, it'll change your marriage.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Did-You-Expect-Redeeming/dp/1433511762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259817065&sr=8-1

His Needs, Her Needs is fantastic. It is specifically written for both the husband and wife, and manages to "get into the head" of both males and females.

HTH.

Anything by this author, Willard Harley, is fantastic. I have read tons of books, and this is the one my ds actually read and liked too.

This is my favorite book!

A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0787939838/ref=oss_T15_product

I personally tired of all of the marriage books that dwelled on husbands loving and wives respecting. I wanted a book that encouraged both husbands and wives to love and respect. Moreover, I wanted a book that taught communication.

Oh, I also tired of stereotypes. You know, the ones that enlighten us that men are logical and want solutions while women are emotional and are simply seeking someone to listen to them.

Edited by nestof3