Menu

My son (almost10yo) says he can't write more than about 5 lines at a time...

jenniferlee

I'm having a lot of trouble with my son and Writing Tales. He has no trouble with the grammar, copywork, definitions, etc. He can retell the story fairly well, but when I ask him to rewrite it in his own words, it takes FOREVER. He says he can only write about 5 lines of text before his hand just hurts too much. Is this normal or is he trying to get out of work?

I don't want to push him too hard, but I can't have him take a week to do an assignment that is supposed to take a day!

Thanks for any advice,

Jen

I'd be curious to see the way he holds his pencil. Is he pushing way too hard? Holding the pencil incorrectly? That strains my hands very quickly. I see it in my 7yo still but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in a 10yo boy. Is there any way you can break it up...do some in the morning and then some again in the afternoon to give his hands a break?

When my 10yo daughter tells me that about a writing assignment, I just let her break it up through-out the day. It has to be done THAT day though. Most of the time she just takes a short break, rubs her fingers, and gets back to work because she does NOT want to be doing it all day long & doesn't want to lose her train of thought. Occasionally she'll do some of her reading and then come back and finish. Doesn't matter to me as long as it is done.

She is holding her pencil correctly but is doing her assignments in cursive now and she still has to really think about what she is doing.

My middle son has always had this problem. He was almost allergic to writing. He would sigh, hold his head in his hand, it was something to watch! As funny as it was, I could tell it was really hard for him.

This year he is starting to overcome it. He is 11 and he wrote a 2 paragraph report yesterday faster than his older brother did. I am glad that I was patient with him. I encouraged him but always let him know that I realized it was difficult for him. I tried to let him know that was normal for some people but that it would get easier.

It seems to have worked, in fact, he is now working on a novel in his own time.

Thanks for the replies. I think he is holding his pencil just fine - he is left handed, but that hasn't seemed to give him much trouble. In fact, he has always had very nice handwriting and started writing early. He draws all day long - very talented artist, etc.

I might try breaking it up through the day, although I'm afraid I might forget to keep him working on it. I tend to get pretty burned out by afternoon :tongue_smilie:

Jen

Break it up into small chunks. For some kids (boys mainly, but sometimes girls) writing is excruciating. My ds has always complained about writing. One paragraph is too much. One sentence is too much. One word, one syllable, even thinking about picking up the pencil is too much. :tongue_smilie:

Now we break up the work into smaller, less overwhelming chunks.

The good news is that they almost always get over it. Slowly, but surely, I see my son writing more and more, and I hear less and less whining and moaning. One day I'm going to hear none, and I'll think I went deaf.:lol:

Try typing. Some people never learn to love putting pencil to paper, but can become prolific writers if given a keyboard. All kids should learn keyboarding anyway -- it's never too late.

I was wondering if he was a lefty too. My lefty boy sounds VERY similar. I do believe that writing is physically a bit harder on a lefty for so many reasons, that we righties can't understand. Then you add BOY, then "in your own words...", then WRITE..., and then almost 10, it is like a cavalcade of misery! I think for almost 10, doing 3 lines at a time is great.

Split it up, don't stress it out.

Could you write what he wants to write, and he copy it? Do you ask for extra good penmanship? If you have a lefty, almost 10 year old boy, PERFECTIONIST ... then, it would explain a lot. ;)

Good luck, it will be fine.

I was wondering if he was a lefty too. My lefty boy sounds VERY similar. I do believe that writing is physically a bit harder on a lefty for so many reasons, that we righties can't understand. Then you add BOY, then "in your own words...", then WRITE..., and then almost 10, it is like a cavalcade of misery! I think for almost 10, doing 3 lines at a time is great.

Do you ask for extra good penmanship? If you have a lefty, almost 10 year old boy, PERFECTIONIST ... then, it would explain a lot. ;)

Hmm, IDK. Good points. I just make sure my kids get used to writing a lot early on. But I don't have lefties...

My 8 yo dd complains all the time about her hand hurting when she writes. Two different OT's said her writing is fine. Finally, a third one looked at her and said yes, it is very laborious for her. She had dd try writing on a slant board, and she said it took away 85% of the effort. So I will be buying one of those for home as soon as I figure out the best place to buy it.

Thanks for more feedback-

What is a slant board?

Yes, he is a perfectionist, but I TRULY don't ask for nice handwriting, he just does it on his own. He also has a hard time not adding too much detail. We are working on that...

He can't type at all. That would probably help a lot. But I can't imagine trying to add anything new in right now. Maybe next summer.

lovemykids: how do make sure your kids get used to writing more early on?

radiobrain: yes, that is exactly how it is, a cavalcade of misery. crying, moaning, etc.

The sad part is, he writes very well, so creative, lots of expression and funny details. I really don't want to make this a horrible experience for him, but I keep thinking he has to learn to write and how else do you learn except by doing it?

Thanks for the encouragement all around.

Jen

He says he can only write about 5 lines of text before his hand just hurts too much. Is this normal or is he trying to get out of work?

It was normal for my son, and from what I've read here over the past 6 or so years, it's normal for a lot of boys in the 6-12 age range. It might help to shorten his assignments, or you do part of his writing for him. You don't want to turn him off writing because his hands hurts.

My almost-9yo DS is doing Writing Tales I this year. I thought he would enjoy it, but after a couple weeks he started saying, "I don't like WT." Well it eventually came out that it is the writing assignments he so dislikes. The other pages, as you mentioned, were fine. I decided to omit one written narration per lesson (rather than doing the two that are scheduled), so he is only writing a story once every two weeks. I alternate between the strict retelling and the creative retellings. Things are going much smoother and faster now.