Menu

I would appreciate more advice regarding dd

My 14 year old dd still has severe insomnia. She has been gluten free for over a month. I do think it has helped some of her neurological symptoms, although not entirely. She is making cortisol but just not at the right times. She is taking several different supplements and we are trying to regulate her cortisol so that she makes more in the morning and less in the evening. The problem is all of this will take time to work. It isn't a quick fix.

We were hoping to send dd back to private high school for 2nd semester. DH does not want me to homeschool dd for high school. He understands the need right now but wants me to send her back ASAP. We both agree that she won't be ready to go back next semester. She is lucky to fall asleep before 3 am. Due to some of the other problems the gluten seemed to cause she also has a few other neurological problems. Her brain seems to tire quickly and she just wouldn't have the stamina to make it through the whole school day. Even at home I have really had to make some changes (go through lessons slower, use an easier curriculum, do a lot more hand holding)

I'm not sure if she is going to have enough credits by the end of this year to qualify as a sophomore. She will get a full credit for geometry and Bible at home, 1/2 credit for computers, English and health but I'm not sure if they will give her credit for biology since we haven't been able to do many labs. Due to some of her neurological problems she has also had some trouble understanding things and I've found that I have to use other resources (middle school) to help her understand biology concepts. She would also have speech next semester at school so I'm not sure how the school would handle that. Most kids have 7 credits every year and if we're lucky she'll have 4 1/2.

I'm trying to decide if we should continue having her as a freshman and then she will have to make things up her sophomore, junior and senior year. This would mean that she would have 8 academic classes and no study hall, which may be difficult.

I'm also wondering if we should just have her start again as a freshman next year. Her birthday is in April so she would be 15 as a freshman, which I guess is not unheard of. I just hate the thought of her starting her sophomore year already behind and knowing that she'll have so many classes to make up. I'm wondering if this is the better option. On the other hand, I know that she would feel bad if she had to repeat freshman year.

At this point we really don't want to do summer school, at least this year. She has had a very rough year and a half and last summer was spent going from doctor to doctor. She also wasn't able to do much of anything, especially after her concussion. My oldest dd will be going to college after this summer so we are really planning to have a lot of fun this summer, especially if she is able to start sleeping again and get in better health.

I would appreciate your honest opinions as I'm having a difficult time sorting this all through. Are there any other options that I might not have thought of?

I'd take it a day at a time. Keep her home through the spring, and decide next fall if you should enroll her or not in ps. You want to set her up for success, obviously, and I just don't see that being possible if she's suffering so badly with insomnia.

Do the best you can now, and see how things are in Sept. I can't imagine her managing in ps when she's dealing with so little sleep.

I have insomnia from being in chronic pain...I know how miserable it is for me, I can't imagine being in school and trying to retain information, as well as the social aspect on top of it!

I guess my biggest concern is whether or not I should have her start again as a freshman next year or as a sophomore. If I know she will be starting again as a freshman I will be doing things differently this fall. If she repeats freshman year I will just have her do biology again then and drop it this year. I will probably just concentrate on a few subjects right now and worry about the rest next year.

Honestly, I would have her start again as a freshman. Can she start as a freshman that still gets credit for what she did this year? She's already struggling to retain information and even if she gets her health problems settled, she's still going to have to take time to get up to speed. To add extra work to all that would be totally overwhelming.

If it were my dd, I would probably not try to start her as a sophmore next year. She doesn't need the added stress of trying to catch up, it could make things worse for her. I do have a question. What time is she getting up everyday? Are you making her get up early, and at the same time every day, or letting her sleep in? If you are letting her sleep in, it will contribute to the insomnia. I have had insomnia my whole life, so I feel her pain in not being able to get to sleep, or get enough sleep. Even sleeping in one day on the weekend totally messes me up, so I just have to deal w/ lack of sleep. It stinks.

:iagree:

I third the other posters. Start her as a freshman. It would be too stressfull to start behind. If your area has it, she could do communiy college classes her senior year if she is bored and ready to be doing college stuff. Or she could have more classes her junior year and graduate early. What I'm trying to say is, if she gets in and feels bored it is fairly easy to find ways to move faster and more challenging, but if she feels frustrated and behind that is hard to change.

I do have a question. What time is she getting up everyday? Are you making her get up early, and at the same time every day, or letting her sleep in? If you are letting her sleep in, it will contribute to the insomnia. I have had insomnia my whole life, so I feel her pain in not being able to get to sleep, or get enough sleep. Even sleeping in one day on the weekend totally messes me up, so I just have to deal w/ lack of sleep. It stinks.

This has been going on for a year and a half. It started during the summer and at that time she had been sleeping late but the following fall she was on a very set schedule of waking up for school. At the time she was in 8th grade (at home) and got up the same time each day. This past fall when she started high school at the private school she was getting up at 6:00 every day. Since she was only getting 2-3 hours a sleep a night it got to the point where she could barely stand. We took her out of school the end of September. The doctor said for a few months that I should let her sleep late in the morning to just give her body a chance to heal. (She was also recovering from a concussion). She usually doesn't fall asleep until 2 or 3 and then wakes up every hour or so during the night often for 1/2 hour or more. So by letting her sleep in until 9:00 at least we are giving her the opportunity to sleep for 6 hours even though she is probably getting less then 4 hours. For the past few weeks we have been getting her up closer to 8:00.

The problem is that the gluten basically caused brain damage. It affected her middle brain, which also controls sleep. That is also why the minor concussion caused so many problems since her brain was already compromised. Her adrenal glands are also messed up and producing cortisol at the wrong levels at the wrong times. The doctor feels that she has adrenal fatigue and also has trouble with blood sugar issues.

I just feel so sorry for her. Today she is so tired and her eyes keep on twitching. She can barely keep her eyes open yet she can't sleep.

Give her time. There is no hurry getting back to school. She has been ill a long time and she needs time to bounce back.

My oldest daughter had similar problems, weight-loss, insomnia, anxiety, 'foggy head' related to gluten. We also had her neurotransmitters tested and found several deficiencies, she is taking amino-acid supplements which are helping a lot.

We unschooled for a year in the middle of high school while she built back up to speed. She still finished high school in four years and is doing well in college now.

Even at the high school level there is a lot of time waste and fluff. A motivated kid can cover the territory quickly. In fact, here in Florida, they have an official 3-yr high school option.

I haven't read any of the other responses but my gut reaction is: The kid is sick and is not capable of the work required for her 7 credits this year. If she's not capable then she's not capable. There's no need to try to get her to commit to 1 1/2 years worth of work next year. This is her situation. If she can't get the required credits to begin next year as a sophmore then she'll need to begin as a freshman. It's far better to start slow and let her excel then to start her off overloaded. Do you really she can handle the extra for next year?

I would just concentrate on what she can handle now. Take it a day at a time. If you push her too hard she will fail.

Have you tried magnesium and/or melatonin for sleep? I, personally, would do magnesium on my own, but the melatonin would make sure to email the ND and let her know. Also, a 20 min. epsom salt bath might help.

Hugs to her. I've dealt with the same health issues, even down to the low cortisol in the a.m. The ND had me take licorice root extract for that.

I haven't used it myself, but PowerNap was discussed on hs2coll today. One of the posters has been using their products for several years. They are cds that you listen to that help you fall asleep by playing different frequencies that are actually outside the human hearing range. The Dive cd is for full-night sleeping. The other cds are all for napping and have a wake-up sequence at the end.

Since you probably already have a cd player and the cds are only $10 each, I figure it would be pretty inexpensive to try.

http://www.powernap.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16138&category_id=248

http://www.powernap.com/store/cart.php?page=powernap_product_selection_matrix

I don't know about those who have neurological problems from gluten, but my dd had major stomach problems from it (she has "classic" celiac disease). It took her about a month to get better on a GF diet at age 2. I know the older you are when you start GF, the longer it can take to totally heal. She may need more than a month to recover from the gluten damage. Give it a little more time. Hope she is better soon!

:grouphug:

I am right there with you. Only my sick dd is 17 and a senior. She is better but is still struggling to sleep and struggling to get well and still get things done.

One thing I have learned: to push school when she feels so bad just further frustrates her and gets her more behind.

Can you drop the Biology and other "hard" courses for a while? Can you add in some "easier" coures that are done in 11th/12th grades? Maybe she could read American Government and make a scrapbook of election materials??

At least she isn't a senior. Do you have someone at the school to help guide you? We are in an Umbrella program and the director gave me some great ideas and options for my dd.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

:grouphug: