Menu

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Thumbs up or Down??

I stumbled into this one and am thinking about adding this to my kid's reading list (9th and 11th grade). But I haven't read it.... and probably am not going to be able to fit it into my schedule.

Advice? Thumbs up or down? Is there a lot of graphic violence? Any sexual violence?

Thanks!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I have it but have not made it through the whole book. The HBO special by the same name is really good. Maybe if you don't have time you could have them watch the movie and they may be inspired to read the book. The book is more facts of each tribe but the movie was a story line.

I read it in high school and loved it - in a wow this is horrible but I'm so glad I know this now kind of way. I have always planned to make this required reading for my kids when they're in high school, though it may not be as revelatory to them as it was for me because it affected so much how I've taught about Native Americans all along (whereas my ps education did not prepare me the same way).

I don't remember graphic violence other than reporting about what happened in a matter-of-fact way - not gory or sensationalized. I was a fairly sensitive kid and remember being really distrubed by some of the required reading in school (Catcher in the Rye - blech!), so I don't think it could have been that graphic, but obviously it's been many many years!

I've read it several times. I would warn that it is an extremely dry accounting of facts rather than a story and there are several graphic explanations of violence, rape, killing of infants, etc. eta: My kids will read it their senior year (final round of American history) but I would understand why some people would hesitate.

There is also a great mini-series that is called "Into the West". It was on tv about 6 years ago, but you can buy it on DVD now. It chronicles two families in the 1800s (one white, one Lakota Sioux). Wounded Knee is showcased as well as Custer's Last Stand, etc. It is very eye opening.

I read this in high school and loved it. It is a bit dry as it is non-fiction but is very well-written and moving story. The author does not gloss over the horrific things that happened, but I don't recall anything "too much" either. As a young person, and even now, I frequently stop reading books that I deem to have too much sex or violence and this was not one.