Menu

MIchelle.... about CLE math

Hi Michelle. I see where you are a big fan of CLE. I like what I see for many of their subjects. I was wondering what your plan was for algebra? Will you stay with CLE? My child is not mathy. At All. We've been through Abeka, Calvert, Saxon, TT, LOF, and Lials over the last 8 yrs. This yr. we've finally found the Keys to to be just about right for pre algebra.

Just curious as to what you're planning?

I already have the Saxon and Reed DVD's and have been pre-viewing them for next year.

It would be easier to stick with CLE math 8 but since my ds will be attending high school, I want him to have a full year of algebra using a textbook and getting use to watching lectures.

I ordered one lightunit of CLE algebra and didn't like it - it's non-sunrise which means it hasn't been updated.

What grade is your dc? Have you used any CLE math? CLE math 7 is very much like pre-algebra.

Thanks for responding today Michelle. My dd is an 8th grader (13) and like I mentioned, not mathy. She would completely drop math, except that's not an option for me. :001_smile: She hated Saxon. I think we did 3/4??? and 5/6??? What do you like about the DVDs?

Thanks for being honest about the CLE math. I don't need another math book failure sitting on my shelf.

What are you going to use from CLE next yr.? What do you think about the high school courses?

Thanks for responding today Michelle. My dd is an 8th grader (13) and like I mentioned, not mathy. She would completely drop math, except that's not an option for me. :001_smile: She hated Saxon. I think we did 3/4??? and 5/6??? What do you like about the DVDs?

Thanks for being honest about the CLE math. I don't need another math book failure sitting on my shelf.

What are you going to use from CLE next yr.? What do you think about the high school courses?

The plan as of now:

CLE LA

CLE reading

Saxon alg. 1

I don't know about CLE high school because my dc attend a high school. But I have looked at CLE high school literature/grammar and if I was to teach high school I would use it.

The Art Reed dvd's are SHORT and clear. Saxon alg. is most like CLE than any other math I've found. I REALLY like that Saxon does algebra & geometry together. My older ds used Saxon algebra for a short time (8th gr.) before he attended high school. We borrowed it at that time since the math program we started on that year didn't work well for us (CD). We have never used any other Saxon book than alg. 1

I watched the Algebra I sample and the lesson is 9 minutes long. Is that pretty typical? One reason I haven't wanted to do DVD instruction is that the lessons tend to take so long, really adding to the school day.

(And I'm such a math geek. I get all giddy watching the lesson. Math is about to get fun!)

I watched the Algebra I sample and the lesson is 9 minutes long. Is that pretty typical? One reason I haven't wanted to do DVD instruction is that the lessons tend to take so long, really adding to the school day.

(And I'm such a math geek. I get all giddy watching the lesson. Math is about to get fun!)

The longest lesson is 25 min which is rare but in that lesson he is reviewing basic math. Every disc shows all the lessons on the front screen and the length of each lesson.

Read this thread for helpful Saxon/Reed info: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1316499#poststop

Listen to this for Art's take on Saxon math:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/1smartmama/2009/04/08/leigh-for-lunch-with-art-reed

Read Art Reed's newsletters on his website for add. info on his DVD's vs the others.