Menu

typical assignments ??

I'm taking a "teacher work day" tomorrow and I'm going to be praying/thinking/planning assignments.

Those of you who have kids in public and private schools what are some typical assignments for 6th graders and high schoolers.

For example: History and Science:

I would assume that reading the chapter is a MUST. Do they define words? Do map work? Answer section and / or chapter questions? Do worksheets? Get a study guide before the test? Memorize for a test?

Math:

How many problems are worked in class? How many problems are sent home for "homework?"

Writing:

What types of writing assignments are given? How many pages? How many writing assignments per month?

Thanks in Advance,

Pam

As a former 5th grade public school teacher....I'll shoot what I had my class do. But please remember that I fought the concept of homework for students except for reviewing for tests or an occassional activity as I felt that kids need time for unscheduled playtime at home and family time in the evening.

For example: History and Science:

I would assume that reading the chapter is a MUST. Do they define words? Do map work? Answer section and / or chapter questions? Do worksheets? Get a study guide before the test? Memorize for a test?

Yes to all of the above - not all the same activity for each chapter but rather a rotation of the activities that you listed above. I would send home a study guide a few days before a test - less for the kids to spend hours doing but more to help keep the parents in the loop over what we're studying. My feeling - why test if students haven't mastered the material yet.

Math:

How many problems are worked in class? How many problems are sent home for "homework?"

Again - I felt the work should be completed in class. I taught the lesson & gave assignment. As the kids were working independently, I'd go around the room and "spot-check" just to make sure everyone was on track and help those who needed a bit more assistance. But the other 5th grade teachers gave an average of 20 math problems to be completed entirely at home.

Writing:

What types of writing assignments are given? How many pages? How many writing assignments per month?

We started out writing paragraphs together, then independently - doing all the various types of paragraphs - 2-3 paragraphs per week the first semester. We moved onto 5-paragraph essays done together then independently doing one essay every other week in the spring.

IN between we did poetry, journal writing, fictional story writing, seasonal writing, etc.

I never worried about pages - but occasionally did set a min. word count if the class was coming up short.

Myra