Menu

S/O: homemade edible gifts

On the other thread, several people mentioned they don't eat homemade edible gifts they receive from people they don't know well.

Does this happen often? Who gives homemade treats, or even any gifts, to people they don't know except through charity donations such as the giving tree at an office or church? My only guess is neighbors, but I still don't understand how unknown neighbors would think to give any gifts to people they don't know.

So, a follow-up question: Do you give gifts, edible or not, to people you don't know?

I've never heard of such a thing in my life. :001_huh:

On the other thread, several people mentioned they don't eat homemade edible gifts they receive from people they don't know well.

Does this happen often? Who gives homemade treats, or even any gifts, to people they don't know except through charity donations such as the giving tree at an office or church? My only guess is neighbors, but I still don't understand how unknown neighbors would think to give any gifts to people they don't know.

So, a follow-up question: Do you give gifts, edible or not, to people you don't know?

I've never heard of such a thing in my life. :001_huh:

My sister has given us homemade cookies occasionally through out the years. My dh won't eat them. He's grossed out when she says, "Oh, my girls made/decorated them this year." We've seen those kids in action with frosting--lick, swipe, ewww! DH has said that he's not interested in eating cookies that children have decorated -- ever. Not even ours.

MIL and my mom makes us cookies and these rarely make it home. :)

We've never received baked goods from anyone we don't know well.

We always had customers and students bring homemade gifts. Not complete strangers, but not people we would generally see outside of the workplace or athletic program. Acquaintances, that type.

I give gifts to these people sometimes - coaches, my barista (love love love him!!!), our librarians, et cetera. But because of my own hangups, I would never bring any of those people a homemade gift on the assumption they are like me, or worse :)

I never give homemade gifts to people that I don't know very well. We do give a gift basket to our librarians, but I always do store-bought - things like individual packages of tea, coffee and hot cocoa.

We get homemade gifts from several friends and neighbors that we know well and we - selectively - eat them. As mentioned above -- I don't eat treats when I know that small children "helped."

But -- honestly. Several years ago we had some very, very undesirable neighbors. The lady gave us homemade treats one year, even though we were not on a friendly basis. Ours went straight into the trash! Actually, I dumped the entire tray in the trash, then we went out for the evening. When we got home, our house smelled terribly of smoke. We couldn't figure out why... Then I remembered the tray of treats. Ugh. Sure enough - that was the source of the smoke smell. :tongue_smilie:

they don't know well.

Maybe the bold word makes all the difference?

I bake goodies (candies, cookies, fudge) for hubbie's coworkers (6 other first grade teachers) and five of our immediate neighbors.

I only know them as acquaintances, so I wouldn't say I know them well. I'm pretty shy and an introvert so they know my husband far more than they know me. They all eat what I make though because they hit my husband up for recipes. :lol:

We share stuff all the time with neighbors though. I have apricot, nectarine, orange, lemon, grapefruit, tangelo, and apple trees in my yard. We grow a yearly garden. I like to bake bread and pretzels. I'm always sending hubby & the kids down the street with food for everybody.

We have often given gifts of cookies to the gate guards on base and we've seen them eat them before we've driven off (lol). I'm sure there are some guards that don't eat them though.

We occassionally get edible gifts from others and my husband will eat them but the kids and I don't - only b/c of food allergies. Otherwise I'm sure we'd all be pigs about it unless the person was of questionable cleanliness.