Menu

Educational games for 5 YO while I homeschool?

While I homeschool my 7 yo, my 5 yo is bored. She often wander around the house doing nothing. I can give her Leap Frog Video, but I cannot let her watch TV for the whole 3-4 hours.

I am looking for some titles to educational computer games so that she can learn something. She also like stories on computer. How about Leapster? Is it worth it?

My DD is 6yo and has had a Leapster for a while. I asked around here before buying one, and it got rave reviews (do a search for "leapster" on the board here and a bunch of stuff will likely come up). It's a pretty good gizmo.

Perhaps starfall.com would be helpful?

Is your 5yo doing any reading yet? If so, maybe go to homeschoolbuyersco-op.org and look into Explode the Code online?

Our 6yo likes to hang out at nickjr.com and pbskids.org to play games too.

HTH!

My DD is 6yo and has had a Leapster for a while. I asked around here before buying one, and it got rave reviews (do a search for "leapster" on the board here and a bunch of stuff will likely come up). It's a pretty good gizmo.

Perhaps starfall.com would be helpful?

Is your 5yo doing any reading yet? If so, maybe go to homeschoolbuyersco-op.org and look into Explode the Code online?

Our 6yo likes to hang out at nickjr.com and pbskids.org to play games too.

HTH!

great minds think alike! lol

Pattern blocks and mighty mind are nice non-electric games that kept mine busy.

A huge box of art stuff can work well, too. Lots of construction paper ,old magazines, glue etc. No limits on how they use it. Homemade playdough is awesome. Ours goes straight into a freezer ziploc so they can mix it themselves.

Maybe you could have a few activities that are special for her to do during "school"

• childrens audiobooks, headphones, and a coloring book
  • workbooks
  • playdough
  • Rush Hour game
  • a few computer games
  • Leapster (we like ours)
  • Leap Tag books

Do you use workboxes? If you had six workboxes with enough things to rotate in and out of them to keep her busy during school then she would probably have fun and not feel left out.

I don't think they make them anymore, but you might find Leap Frog Leap Pads online used. We had one for our older daughter. It quit working but we found one at the thrift store. There are all kinds of books for preschool (math, reading, Spanish, etc.). Each book has a matching cartridge, so make sure the book comes with it. There's only one book that does not have one and it's the introduction book that comes with it.

Why not let her sit in on some of what you do with your older child? I combined my K ds and 6th dd last year for Ancient History and he LOVED it!

I also had him do the same science topics and that was fun as well.

There are a lot of great ideas already on this thread, but I wanted to post a few things that I use to TRY to occupy my 4 year old while I'm working with my 5 year old and vice-versa. They don't always work, mind you, but sometimes they do.

• Wedgits
  • Busy Bugs from Discovery Toys
  • It's a Match from Discovery Toys
  • Mighty Mind puzzles
  • Lots of paper and pencils, crayons, markers, etc.
  • Stacks of books
  • Anything she wants to do that doesn't make (a lot of) noise